• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cpu voltage difference?

Nora

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
137
I've noticed a difference in the cpu voltage lately and don't know if this is normal or not. It is set to 1.3v in the bios as Everest shows. However it will idle between 1.216 - 1.232v and then drop to between 1.122 - 1.138v wile running Orthos. Both cpu-z and pc wizzard 2008 give the same readings. I let it run for 2.5 hrs and it didn't crash at the lower voltage, but why is it lower? Shouldn't it be showing the 1.3v it is set for? Or am I not understanding something? I'm working with the comp in my sig.

Capture013.jpg
 
It should be 1.3v at idle if thats what you set. Under load though you will experience vdroop which means your voltage will drop a little. Have you checked for any bios updates for your board? Might help with your idle voltage.
 
I've got the newest bios offered at this time.
Even their it's odd. In the manual cpu voltage settings it's 1.3v, however within the hardware monitor it saids:
Vcore ----- 1.2 volts
3.3 volts ----- 3.344 volts
5 volts ----- 5.112 volts
12 volts ----- 12.040 volts

Just seems like something is either turned on or off that shouldn't be. All of the speed step, and throttling crap has already been disabled for what I can find. Even with a manual voltage set to 1.4v (above that it won't boot - max is 1.5 v for that cpu) it still gives the same readings.
 
Your board uses the G35 chipset and changes/support for that chipset were added in version 1.44 of cpuid.

1.44.2 03/29/2008 :
NVIDIA 650i, 680i, 750a/780a, 750i, 780i, 790i chipsets (1.44.2).
Intel G35 chipset (1.44.2).
Updated support for VIA chipsets (1.44.2).
Support for the new validator (1.44.1).

I noticed you are using version 1.40. Try the latest version and see what you get.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php (look upper left for download link).
 
cpuz gives the wrong vcore with version 1.40 for a lot of systems. 1.46 fixes the issue.
 
v1.44.2 is no longer avalible so I did upgrade to v1.46. Both are still showing the same Vcore voltage.
 
From what I've read, the voltage drop between BIOS setting and CPU idle voltage is called vdrop. The difference between CPU idle voltage and load voltage is called vdroop.

You might have a BIOS setting that can reduce the amount of vdroop, my setting is called 'Loadline Calibration'. You can also search for a 'pencil mod' for your particular MB to also try to reduce the vdroop.

I'm not sure if there is any mod or setting to reduce the basic vdrop you have. It seems significant to me. I usually get only about 0.01v vdrop at max. It all might depend on the quality of your PSU or MB components.
 
vdrop and vdroop are designed into the motherboard per Intel specification and the time constants of the PWM circuits supplying the CPU - basically, what you're seeing is normal. Since ASUS boards tend to have some BIOS settings to assist overclocking*, you can probably tweak things a bit from BIOS before applying a pencil mod or anything more extreme.

Keep in mind, those voltage discrepancies are designed in for a reason - specifically, to avoid voltage undershoot when going from idle to max load, and also to avoid voltage overshoot when going from max load to idle. If you reduce vdrop without understanding the time constants of the capacitors and inductors in the PWM circuit, you could reduce the stability of your system. The same also applies to vdroop, to a lesser extent. This applies to BIOS settings or mods. Right now you have a fairly low voltage for a Pentium D, and a 7% overclock. So if you're stable and happy with your current overclock, then there's no need to tweak further.

If you want to max out your chip, you may be able to do it with some minor BIOS tweaks before resorting to a mod - here's some background reading if you're keen on learning more about CPU voltage: http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=255

* I'm not familiar with the BIOS features of your particular model of motherboard, but ASUS boards usually have some voltage control options - some more than others.
 
Thanks for your input LW I'll check out that link. My goal was to hopefully get it to run stable at 3.4GHz. If it doesn't work out I won't feel at a loss. I'll need better cooling befor that will happen. Where it is now it runs at 68.5c at 100%. Max for the 830 is 69.5%
In the oc features for my board it will allow the cpu voltage to be set to auto, or manualy any where between 1.1000v - 1.7000v with an adjustments of 0.0125v However it doesn't matter what the setting it will still give the same readings. (above 1.4v it won't boot though)
 
However it doesn't matter what the setting it will still give the same readings. (above 1.4v it won't boot though)
OK, that sounds odd. Hopefully somebody who knows this motherboard will post.
 
Back
Top