CPU slowing down

Sparky

2[H]4U
My processor is speed stepping down to 2.4Ghz from 4.0 on all cores. Temps are up from 85 to now 93-105.
This has been slowly dropping in the last 5 days. Brand new H80i. Could the pump be going out?

Araxie

Supreme [H]ardness
yes its definitively throttling due temperatures.

How much time have you using the h80i? it was a early behavior? before or after get the H80i?.

Sparky

2[H]4U
3 weeks use
got RMA approval
one hose hot and the other cool.
Now its at 1.2Ghz, 95c, stock settings.
Hope it lasts 3 days till the end of the SETI competition.
GPU 39c stock cooling

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
3 weeks use
got RMA approval
one hose hot and the other cool.
Now its at 1.2Ghz, 95c, stock settings.
Hope it lasts 3 days till the end of the SETI competition.
GPU 39c stock cooling

It's broken. Pull the H80i off and at least put on a stock cooler.

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
Yeah dude, watercooling without a working pump is pointless, put the stock cooler back on and run it at stock settings.

This is why I always recommend a standard air cooler (unless you're space-constrained) - it's one less thing to worry about. I don't fucking comprehend why people feel the insane need to have closed-loop water coolers, unless they LIKE having more issues to deal with?

Last edited:

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Yeah dude, watercooling without a working pump is pointless, put the stock cooler back on and run it at stock settings.

This is why I always recommend a standard air cooler (unless you're space-constrained) - it's one less thing to worry about. I don't fucking comprehend why people feel the insane need to have closed-loop water coolers, unless they LIKE having more issues to deal with?

I have the Noctua NH-D14 (which I have had for years) in my system while my wife's system has a Corsair H100i.

Got the H100i for a really good price since it was sold as a refurb. Haven't had any issues with it in the year or so I have had it other than having to install the software in order to have it control the fan speed properly.

When the fans start getting louder I know it is time to take it out and blow the dust out. It is super quiet all the other time though.

If I needed to buy a new cooler for my system and had a case that it would work in, I would probably go with a water cooling setup. They have come a long way since I last really messed with water cooling about 15 years ago.

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I have the Noctua NH-D14 (which I have had for years) in my system while my wife's system has a Corsair H100i.

Got the H100i for a really good price since it was sold as a refurb. Haven't had any issues with it in the year or so I have had it other than having to install the software in order to have it control the fan speed properly.

When the fans start getting louder I know it is time to take it out and blow the dust out. It is super quiet all the other time though.

If I needed to buy a new cooler for my system and had a case that it would work in, I would probably go with a water cooling setup. They have come a long way since I last really messed with water cooling about 15 years ago.

Dude, what part of "one less moving part" and "no water leaks" do you not understand?

I understand that you haven't had a problem with yours, but I can point you to dozens of people on these forums that have. Why add that level of complexity for no real gain?

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Dude, what part of "one less moving part" and "no water leaks" do you not understand?

I understand that you haven't had a problem with yours, but I can point you to dozens of people on these forums that have. Why add that level of complexity for no real gain?

Because if I am wanting to work inside the computer there is a lot less stuff in the way when using a water block than a huge finned heatpipe cooler.

As it is now, it is pretty much impossible to take out a video card in the first PCIe slot without either removing the CPU heatsink or using a screwdriver to release the PCIe slot lock.

Messing with RAM with a huge heatsink is a pain as well.

I also woudn't have heat from the CPU cooler heating up the back of the video card in the first PCIe slot.

That being said, I am not planning on doing it any time soon. The closed loop systems do not really cool any better than my current cooler and my case won't work with a water cooler anyway.