• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU/RAM/MB Upgrade - maybe more

dcmix5

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
132
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming, browsing, some editing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$600 or so

3) Where do you live?

Michigan

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Cpu. ram, MB, possibly faster HDD and OS

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
full ATX case, ATI 4850 1gb, Etasis 750w PSU

6) Will you be overclocking?

Possibly

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

24" Gateway FPD2485W, 1920x1200, with more ghosting than a haunted house

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

now
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

SLI or Xfire...probably not...was looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

On XP now...and need to get to Windows 7 most likely

For CPU and RAM, I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849
 
$360 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo
$70 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$55 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
---
Total: $585 plus tax and shipping

Faster gaming CPU, a motherboard that supports Crossfire and SLI, a faster hard drive, and Windows 7 Home.
 
I think I am going to avoid SLI though. I had it once a couple of years ago and hated every second of it. Things have probably improved now though.
 
I think I am going to avoid SLI though. I had it once a couple of years ago and hated every second of it. Things have probably improved now though.

SLI has improved. In fact SLI is still the better multi-GPU tech considering that a $440 GTX 460 1GB SLI can perform as well if not better than a $680 HD 5870 Crossfire setup despite the fact that a single HD 5870 outperforms a single GTX 460. SLI scaling is that good and Crossfire scaling that bad.

With that said, if you truly never want SLI again, you can save a whole $25 by going with this setup instead:
$195 - Intel Core i5 750 CPU
$140 - Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 ATX Motherboard
----
Total: $335 plus tax and shipping
 
I had bad screen tearing...did that get fixed over time?

Still happens in very rare occasions IIRC. Though you sure the tearing wasn't related to your VSync and monitor's refresh rate?
 
I honestly cannot remember now, it has been so long. I know I fought with it for about 2 months before I gave up, so I hope I tried everything back then :)
 
Back
Top