cpu overheat ??

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

my rig is in sig, I was just chilling with chrome open watching a youtube video and my pc shut off. When I restarted it, it fired right up but a bios message said that a cpu over heat threshold triggered the shutdown.

With the watercooling I never get above 70c(idle is between 35-45c) and the cpu temp threshold is set to 82c in the bios.

Any idea whats happening?

TIA!

Hey guys,

my rig is in sig, I was just chilling with chrome open watching a youtube video and my pc shut off. When I restarted it, it fired right up but a bios message said that a cpu over heat threshold triggered the shutdown.

With the watercooling I never get above 70c(idle is between 35-45c) and the cpu temp threshold is set to 82c in the bios.

TIA!
its summer. up your shutdown threshold to 95

If you have never exceeded 70c when gaming or running intensive programs, then there IS something going wrong. Load up HWMonitor and observe your temps when running youtube. My air cooler on my 3600 stays in the 50s watching youtube, so if you hit 82c , you need to diagnose your problem.

Could be your pump is going out, there is a crimp in your line somewhere reducing the flow of liquid, leak, etc.

Hi MrC4 ,
my rig is in my basement with central AC. Normal ambient temp is 20-21 c.

The waterblock plate probably isn't making enough contact with the CPU. I had to reseat my 3900X twice before I actually got enough contact with the processor to get the temps under control.

I'm running a 3900X on air and I have cooler temps than you with am ambient temp about 10'c higher right now.

check your load voltage just to make sure the boards not doing something weird. if the block mount is fine then how old is the cooler and how do you have the radiator mounted? that cooler should have no issues with the 3600 so if voltage is correct and the mount is correct maybe it's possible it's pulling air through the block from the radiator if you have it front case mounted.

Hey guys,

ok so I have tightened the block as much as possible. The temps seem shit. I have hwmonitor running and the minmax is the following and Im just on desktop no games streaming some youtube, min is 30c max is 67c.

The rad is in the top of the case with 2 x 120 mm fans blowing through them.

The aio cooler was installed in January.

Doesn't seem right. I have not over clocked the system at all.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

TIA!

Threshold? Threshold for shutdown? Did you set that manually? 82c is way too low when the cpu's max temp is 95c which is throttle point. 68c is max temp for full boost btw.

How'd you set up your monitoring? Read link below for some pointers. After which, you'll have to deal with how to monitor temps. Your AIO can only monitor the cpu temp sensor but that is part of the problem. Since there is only one point of display, ie. the cpu sensor however there multiple data points. You have temp sensors for each individual core, temp for each CCD, averaged temp, etc etc... all those temps are displayed thru the cpu temp sensor. This is an important aspect to recognize. There's not much you can do about the AIO's sensor monitoring besides adjusting the curve to not react too quickly. But you can save yourself some heartache by watching the averaged core temp sensor ie. die averaged using hwinfo.

https://hardforum.com/threads/how-can-i-get-the-most-out-of-my-3700x.1997903/post-1044623023

Last edited:
Pull it off and check the paste - do you have good coverage, or did something whacky happen? This sounds like something went wrong with the thermal pad.

Back