CPU or memory upgrade?

synbios

Weaksauce
I wanted to find out whether I should upgrade my current CPU (to a dual core) or the memory or forget either?

My current specs are:

AMD 3700+ with AC freezer 64pro (stock)
2gb DDR400 ram (4*512mb stocks)
X1900 CF edition (basically X1900XT)
Asrock 939DualSata 2

I'll be using the rig for gaming mainly.

I had in mind:

CPU - AMD X2 4200 (S939)
RAM: Ballistix 2gb (2*1gb PC4000)

Or shall I save my money instead if they is little performance boost??

Many thanks

I wanted to find out whether I should upgrade my current CPU (to a dual core) or the memory or forget either?

My current specs are:

AMD 3700+ with AC freezer 64pro (stock)
2gb DDR400 ram (4*512mb stocks)
X1900 CF edition (basically X1900XT)
Asrock 939DualSata 2

I'll be using the rig for gaming mainly.

I had in mind:

CPU - AMD X2 4200 (S939)
RAM: Ballistix 2gb (2*1gb PC4000)

Or shall I save my money instead if they is little performance boost??

Many thanks

I` dont think you will see much improvement over a few mhz of cpu speed or ddr2. 2gb's is excellent for gaming, but I think you would see a huge boost with a better video card.
If you upgrade the video you can always use it in a new system(amd or intel)
8800gts would really boost. You can always upgrade again to ddr2 after that, then to a new system using these componets.(core 2 duo? AM2?)

My 2 cents

Go with an 8800GTS. You may be bottlenecked by the Athlon 3700 but at least you have one part that you can bring over to a new PC and will give you great frame rates.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'll opt for M3_dust's option as I only bought the X1900 a couple of weeks ago so upgrading that is no-go (yes I did consider the 8800 series at the time but it costs over twice as much as the X1900- yup it was brand new too)

The RAM is DDR1 and not DDR2 and Im running 2T.

Thanks though

Go with an 8800GTS. You may be bottlenecked by the Athlon 3700 but at least you have one part that you can bring over to a new PC and will give you great frame rates.
definitely the best route to take. with a cpu or memory upgrade you're just buying into old technology. you already have 2gigs of ram and if you overclock your 3700+ you would still have a pretty decent single core processor.

Neither. Overclock your current processor. If I had to choose, go with the dual core, but you will need to overclock it or you will not gain much performance at all in most games.

Thanks guys. I took the last option and not upgrade, BUT today (ebuyer - UK) had a two hour happy hour and they had 1gb of Crucial ram for cheap and then Googlecheckout was offering £10 off orders so it was a no-brainer really.

Besides I figured I needed the other set or ram for another build rather than split the sets into two lots of 1gb.

save your money or go with a 8800gts. If you decide to go between a cpu/memory I pick a dual core processor...

Back