• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cpu or Gpu or leave it alone?

Ckamc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
131
So I worked out a deal with family where I am getting cash to build a system for selling my little brother my old rig. It plays all the games he would be wanting to play but I do feel a bit bad for not doing something for him since I get to build something nice for myself.

Kid is going to play starcraft 2 most the time and would probably want to play at 1920x1080. Here is my current setup

7750 am2+ , 4gbs of ram, not sure if the mobo is am2+ or am3 hybrid, gtx 260, 500 or 600 watt consair.

I am already going to be buying him a new hard drive since im keeping mine. I really need to look to see what watts my psu is rated at before considering another gtx 260... but is my cpu my bottle neck?

Thanks for the time
 
Ditch the 7750 and get one of the Athlon II quads.If that is a Seasonic ps you are fine
Or get a X3 740 for 89$
 
Your CPU is gonna be a bottlneck. Since you already have a HSF from the 7750, I recommend getting the Phenom II X3 740. It's just as fast as the Phenom II X2 550 but offers that extra core just in case your bro does a lot of multi-tasking or if Blizzard updates SC2 to use more than two cores.

What do you mean by "before considering another gtx 260?" Are you planning on buying another GTX 260 for SLI or something?
 
Thanks for the input guys! I am definately going with the x3. Yeah I was considering another 260 for sli but it doesnt seem worth the price when the cpu will still remain the bottle neck.

The Seasonic is long gone on that setup, moving + Vibrations = dead psu.

Replaced it with a coolermaster because compusa was going out at the time and they had it for DIIIIRT cheap but then it eventually died so its a 500 or 600 consair in the rig right now... more likely a 550 since 500 seems way too low for me in wattage to purchase.

New rig I get to build at his expense goes as followed:
Silverstone FT01
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
EVGA GTX460
Seasonic 650watt Gold
i-5 650
Consair DDR3 1600 4GB
Tuniq Extreme

Just going to swap in my drives(320GB + 500GB + 1TB) and got him a 320GB HDD for the OS and a 1TB for storage. Likely order the cpu this week or next week.
 
Don't get the i5-650 since, for a little bit more, you could buy either the i5-750 or i5-760 instead.

Likewise, does your brother need all of the features of the Gigabyte P55A-UD4P? A better deal would be:

$318 - Intel Core i5 760 & Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 combo
 
Back
Top