• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU heatsink/fan need some help

Zake202

Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
559
So I'm building a new computer after about 5years of building my current one.

I've decided on the intel Q6600 processor, based on it's speed, price, and reviews.

I use a zalman cooler on my current P4 and love it.

I'm thinking of getting this but would like some input, is there something better/more reliable etc?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Opinions are appreciated.
 
Yeah a thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or a Xigmatek S1283. Both are better and cheaper.
 
Yeah a thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or a Xigmatek S1283. Both are better and cheaper.

QFT. The Zalman is decent, but it's way overpriced for the performance you'll get out of it. The OCZ Vendetta 2 is also a good choice. That or either of the coolers flak-spammer recommended would be much better options than the 9700.
 
QFT. The Zalman is decent, but it's way overpriced for the performance you'll get out of it. The OCZ Vendetta 2 is also a good choice. That or either of the coolers flak-spammer recommended would be much better options than the 9700.

So the others are cheaper and work as well or better?

The Thermalright
59.99 + shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125&Tpk=thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

Isn't any cheaper than the 9700 atm.
53.99 + shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Also, is Arctic silver still the best?
 
I find myself in a similar situation but let me tell you after looking around myself, Zalman's latest cooler just doesn't stack up versus the Thermalrights (120 or ultra90) the Xiga or the Tuniq Tower in multiple tests on multiple sites.

Too bad really, I'd gotten used to having big copper flowers in my case.
 
go for the TRUE. If you were to get a Xigma or Vendetta 2 it would come w/ plastic push pins. To add the retention kit w/ it would almost be the same price as a TRUE. Sure you have to buy a fan but lap it and purchase some scythes and its pretty much unstoppable
 
To add the retention kit w/ it would almost be the same price as a TRUE.

Huh? The Xigmatek is $35 and the retention bracket is $7. That's only $42 plus shipping which is cheaper than the TRUE's $60 price tag.

Anyway, OP, I recommend the following HSF
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle HSF - $35 & Retention Bracket - $7
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $50

Either of those two will perform better than the Zalman HSF and on par with the TRUE. Oh BTW, the Thermalright HSF you link to is the wrong Thermalright HSF recommended. This is the correct Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme:
http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-Ultra-120-eXtreme-pr-3762.html

Oh and AS5 is one of the best now. Arctic Cooling's MX-2 and Tuniq's TX-2 are some of the other best thermal pastes.
 
So the others are cheaper and work as well or better?

The Thermalright
59.99 + shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125&Tpk=thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

Isn't any cheaper than the 9700 atm.
53.99 + shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Also, is Arctic silver still the best?

The TRUE can be found for less at other retailers, although you do still need to buy a fan. It isn't cheaper than the 9700, but it does perform a lot better. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and OCZ Vendetta 2 on the other hand are both much cheaper than the Zalman and perform much better as well.

As for thermal paste, Arctic Cooling MX-2 and Tuniq TX-2 are generally better bets than AS5 nowadays and require no curing time as well.
go for the TRUE. If you were to get a Xigma or Vendetta 2 it would come w/ plastic push pins. To add the retention kit w/ it would almost be the same price as a TRUE. Sure you have to buy a fan but lap it and purchase some scythes and its pretty much unstoppable

I recently got myself an HDT-S1283 for $23 after rebate (albeit without the bracket, but that would have only brought the price up to $30). A far cry from the price of the TRUE with a fan. The TRUE is definitely an excellent cooler, but it does command a premium.
 
The TRUE can be found for less at other retailers, although you do still need to buy a fan. It isn't cheaper than the 9700, but it does perform a lot better. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and OCZ Vendetta 2 on the other hand are both much cheaper than the Zalman and perform much better as well.

As for thermal paste, Arctic Cooling MX-2 and Tuniq TX-2 are generally better bets than AS5 nowadays and require no curing time as well.


I recently got myself an HDT-S1283 for $23 after rebate (albeit without the bracket, but that would have only brought the price up to $30). A far cry from the price of the TRUE with a fan. The TRUE is definitely an excellent cooler, but it does command a premium.

How hard are all of these to install?

The zalman was cake.

Also, could anyone make a small list of the best ones along with links, preferrebly on newegg. I'd really appreciate it, trying to follow 7-8 posts for other hardware.

Really not sure where to go on this.
 
Assuming you go with the bolt-through brackets where applicable, they should all be fairly easy to install providing you know what you're doing (since you've installed a Zalman I doubt you'd have any problems).
 
Also, could anyone make a small list of the best ones along with links, preferrebly on newegg. I'd really appreciate it, trying to follow 7-8 posts for other hardware.

I just did. Look at post #7. Those are the two bang for the buck HSF out now. If you want the the absolute best in air cooling, then get the TRUE 120:
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme HSF - $57 & Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120MM Case Fan - $14

But the Xigmatek and Zerotherm HSF are both excellent choices.
 
Hmmm, so the 2 you posted run about the same as the TRUE 120?

what is the difference in price? and which come with fans?

The two HSF I linked to perform on par with the TRUE 120. But the TRUE 120 still outperform them, though, by only 3-4C.

Look at the prices, which I have already provided, to see the price difference. The Xigamtek HSF and ZeroTherm HSF both come with a fan.
 
The two HSF I linked to perform on par with the TRUE 120. But the TRUE 120 still outperform them, though, by only 3-4C.

Look at the prices, which I have already provided, to see the price difference. The Xigamtek HSF and ZeroTherm HSF both come with a fan.


I've read stuff about the TRUE being more difficult to install? Anyway

Between the two you posted, the ZeroTherm is $40 after a $10 mail in rebate.

Overall, i like the look of it more.

Both of those are better than the zalman coolers correct? Are there any benchmarks?
 
Lots. Google is your friend. You can't expect us to do all the work for you ;).

Yea looking now.

I can't decide between the 2 posted.

Some people say make sure your case is big enough, I don't even have a case picked out so I don't know.
 
Most modern cases will have no trouble fitting any of these heatsinks providing they're at least mid-tower-sized. Just post your case when you pick it and someone will probably be able to tell you if it'll fit the heatsinks or recommend something else that will.
 
Case suggestions? Always liked the look of the P180 I think it was. not sure now though
 
Case suggestions? Always liked the look of the P180 I think it was. not sure now though

I already link to several decent cases that was in your budget in your cases thread. All those cases will fit the Zerotherm or Xigmatek. The Antec P182, the improved version of the P180, is a decent case. But it's a bit out of your budget:
Antec P182 ATX Case - $135
 
Gawd boy ... use the Google! :)

Get a Xig S1283 w/ a P180 ... you'll be happy you did.
 
I already link to several decent cases that was in your budget in your cases thread. All those cases will fit the Zerotherm or Xigmatek. The Antec P182, the improved version of the P180, is a decent case. But it's a bit out of your budget:
Antec P182 ATX Case - $135

Willing to splurge a bit extra on a case.
 
Doesn't the TRUE have to be overlapped or w/e it is where you sand it down until it's mirrorlike?
 
Doesn't the TRUE have to be overlapped or w/e it is where you sand it down until it's mirrorlike?

What some people are saying is that you have to lap the TRUE in order to get the most cooling ability out of it..

@ 3rdshiftdj
Still, a difference of $10 is significant enough for me. In addition, according to you, one would still need to buy Scythe fans (another $12) and lap the HSF (A few hours of work).
 
What some people are saying is that you have to lap the TRUE in order to get the most cooling ability out of it..

@ 3rdshiftdj
Still, a difference of $10 is significant enough for me. In addition, according to you, one would still need to buy Scythe fans (another $12) and lap the HSF (A few hours of work).

Yea that's something I'd rather not do for an extra 3-4degrees.

How do these HSF compare to ones posted?

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink
 
Yea that's something I'd rather not do for an extra 3-4degrees.

How do these HSF compare to ones posted?

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink

The AC7 Pro sucks compared to the HSF previously posted. The Tuniq Tower 120 is outperformed by the Xigmatek and Zerotherm HSF.
 
Lapping was easy. It just took some time on a boring rainy day. I just played some music and got to sandpapering... I was satisfied with the results.
 
Back
Top