CPU FAN started spinning in the wrong direction!!

zack11

n00b
My cpu fan was working fine, blowing air into the heatsink.. recently, i have heard the fan working harder and noiser. When I open the case I have seen the cpu fan spinning in the wrong direction, blowing air outward..away from the heatsink
Is there a way to fix the spinning direction of the fan I wonder..i prefer the fan blowing air toward the heatsink, like before...
any help appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
there is no dust around the heatsink i ve cleaned it recently.. thats how I know the fan was blowing the air into the sink so thats how the dust was trapped before..

i dont prefer to put THE FAN AROUND either

Any chance you accidently put the fan on backwards during your cleaning ? Or forced the power plug in reversed ?

What kind of fan/heatsink are you using ?

Fans dont do what you are describing on their own, at least I have never heard of it. Yours could be the first but it is more likely something simple. Give us more details about the fan/heatsink. Intel or AMD stock cooler or aftermarket ? How/where/what is the fan plugged into for power ?

The way the majority of computer fans are designed, even reversing the polarity of the CPU fan connector will not cause the fan to rotate in the opposite direction.

Can you provide a video of this?

You didn't listen to my original reply:
Turn off your computer.

Take out the fan.

Unplug the power from your HDD.

Turn the computer on.

Feel which direction its blowing.

Turn off the computer by holding the power button until it cuts the power.

Install the fan in the direction you want it to blow air.

Plug the power back into your HDD.

Turn on your computer.

Your ordinary computer fan cannot go in the reverse direction because the electricity current through the circuits diode only flows in one direction. You'd have to physically flip the diode on the circuitry and so forth to make the fan go in reverse.

that is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz

i dont want to turn the fan upside down..
i can make a video but how can i put it here if you can show me the way i ll do it tommorrow if my thread is still here

that is Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz

i dont want to turn the fan upside down..
i can make a video but how can i put it here if you can show me the way i ll do it tommorrow if my thread is still here

What fan is this? Find a picture of this fan and post it here so we can see what fan you are talking about. Is it the stock intel fan?

Take a video of your computer on and the case door off and with plenty of lighting. Take a piece of tissue paper over the fan and take a video of how the air affects the paper. You'll probably have to do this before anybody believes you because honestly, what are you describing is pretty much impossible and most people will probably ridicule you or think that you are mistaken. Make an account on youtube and post it there.

the cpu fan is Delta AFBO812SH (couln't find any info on the net)

I will make the video tomorrow ...4.30 am here ..i have spend the all day trying to fix it..

hopefully i wont burn the processor

the cpu fan is Delta AFBO812SH (couln't find any info on the net)

I will make the video tomorrow ...4.30 am here ..i have spend the all day trying to fix it..

hopefully i wont burn the processor

your fan is a DELTA AFB 80mm Super High Output fan with 46.62 CFM @ 4000 RPM. If it really is spinning the wrong way (highly unlikely), why not just flip it over? Why don't you want to do it? Flipping a fan over takes 2 minutes instead of "all day".

This thread is somewhat suspicious.

Last edited:
deltat.jpg

This is your fan. Look for the arrow on the side (circled in red). That arrow shows the direction the fins spin (up/clockwise) and the airflow (out the right). Airflow is also always out the side where the 4 strut bars holding the fan hub that the fan label is on.

It is impossible for it to start spinning in the wrong direction. On your CPU heatsink, which side is facing out?

Since you told me the part number off your fan, my Sherlock Holmes powers deduce that this means you can read the label and that the fan IS backwards. Just flip it over.

Last edited:
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3237/deltat.jpg

SORRY GUYS.. my fault

i must have put the fan up side down after cleaning the sink..
it is a tricky design, putting label on the fan and suppose not to be seen!!!!

I found this great forum by that mistake I made.. positive thinking :)
thanks everyone who try to help me

thank you Spare-Flair for finding the link and sending it to me ..

Last edited:
Welcome, hang around, lots of good stuff here. We are just a little touchy about all caps as you found out. No big deal.

Back