CPU Fan Rattling

Xaeon

Limp Gawd
I just finished building my new computer and everything was great for a couple of days. But last night my CPU fan started making a very annoying rattling sound. It can be described fairly accurately as the sound of an HDD under heavy load.

I am a little angry that it only took 2 days for a problem like this to crop up. I thought I could avoid things like this by purchasing good components. The model is the Noctua NH-U12P.

Does anyone have any advice on possible solutions?

Thanks.

Maybe the fan is loose? Or you didn't screw in the HSF right? Or a loose wire is in the way?

I forgot to mention that I checked all that stuff. I also removed the fan from the Heatsink for a few seconds and it was rattling while sitting in my hand as well.

Well, I contacted Noctua about the fan and got a very pleasant customer service surprise. My email sent using their contact form was replied to very quickly (I generally don't even expect to hear back at all when using a similar form on a different site). The person that replied to me apologized for the bad fan and said that if I sent a scan of my invoice to them that they would send me a replacement right away. I sent away an email with the scan and heard back within 20 minutes saying the fan would be shipped out right away. The person obviously took the time to read my email and respond thoughtfully and quickly.

So in the end, BIG thumbs up to Noctua. Some bad products are always bound to slip through QC, but they resolved it in a stellar fashion. Thanks Noctua!

Wow, thats great customer support. Thanks for letting us know how the RMA process went!

Back