CPU Core Voltage Stuck @ 4.1 Volts! EP45-UD3P

tegtyme

n00b
I have the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P /F8 Bios/ e8500 CPU
I have been using it for the last couple months just fine @ 4009mhz = 9.5x422 @ 1.23125v in bios which is 1.2v in cpuz ver 1.50. The only other thing besides Vcore that needed to be adjusted to be 100% stable at 4009mhz was mch core which had to be 1.16v, everything else was set to normal.
Today I wanted to see what this cpu/mobo could do and so I started going higher.
I was testing out 4408mhz = 464x9.5 @ 1.38125 cpu vcore, cpu pll 1.63, cpu vtt 1.34.
It was on prime 95 for a couple hours with no errors and so I wanted to see if I could lower some voltages for better temps...but first I wanted to see what "auto" voltages the board would set everything to with this 4408mhz speed. I went into the bios and set all cpu configs options at the bottom to "auto".
From this point forward I did several reboots and adjustments from gigabytes easytune6.
I have CPUZ load up on boot just to verify speed/core voltage and several boots later I notice that cpuz is displaying Core VID (1.25v) and not Core Volatage.... but the 4400mhz overclock is there and stable. I load up speedfan and check the voltages there and it says my vcore is 4.1V! So I quickly shut down and go into the bios to check the Vcore under system stats...it says Vcore is 4.1V!! How is this even possible? Wouldnt the cpu just burst? (The mobo wont even let me adjust it that high) It doesnt matter what I manually set the vcore to because it still always comes out to 4.1v.
I shutdown and cleared the cmos...still 4.1V, I then pulled out my cpu, cleared the cmos and even took out the cmos battery...put everything back in and reboot. loaded optimized settings, reboot, bios still reads Cpu Vcore @ 4.1v!
Now get this, I got the Q6600 out of my other system and put it in the UD3P.
It is coming up with the same Cpu Vcore of 4.1volts!
I reflashed the bios to the original F6 version and Im still getting the same 4.1V cpu Vcore.
I have no idea what could be going on here.
Im not quite sure if the Cpu Vcore is Really 4.1v because If it was really that high then I dont even think the system could boot (it boots into windows and runs just fine)
Anyone have any ideas on whats going on and what I can do to fix this?
Thanks in advance

lol if it was really that high the cpu would of exploded in the socket.. sounds more like a glitch.. the cpu-z thing is a wonderful glitch that happens when you go to high with the voltage so it thinks theres an error and just shows the VID.. odds are the board set the voltage to something like 1.4-1.5v to make it stable..

Hmm never heard of this happening and I read every post on gigabytes for last 3 years. YOUR A WINNER !!!!

Some random thoughts. (You have a high level of expertise but I am wording this for any level of expertise in an attempt to help others)

Are you absolutely double dog dead sure you flashed the correct bios for your board? I think you did but there are a ton of model numbers and all look about the same. Quadruple check. Always flash at pure stock settings, load factory defaults, reboot, go into bios and use Qflash.. reboot, load factory defaults, reboot then go in and make your settings changes. (No clue if that is the official method but in building over a 100 Gigabytes and flashing my personal board 10's of times, I have never had any issue using that method- likely more complicated than needed/necessary but only takes a minute ).

If you have a correct bios for your board all I could recommend is doing the heavy duty CMOS clear procedure.

Unplug machine from wall
Turn power supply off by switch on back (redundant but do it anyway)
Hit the power button several times to discharge the caps in the power supply.
Remove the CMOS battery (and check how it goes in before you take it out)
If equipped put the CMOS Clear jumper on clear pins
If only a Clear COMOS button, press and hold it for at least 60 seconds timed by a clock.
Wait one hour.
Put everything back
Power up and go right into the bios and "Load Factory Defaults"
reboot
Go right back into the bios and put CPU voltage to manual and set it to something close to stock leave all else alone.
reboot
Check in BIOS under PC Health what the CPU voltage says. It should be close to your manual setting.

If that does not work its time to talk to Gigabyte tech support to see if they have any slick answers (this is also the first step in an RMA if you so desire. )

I wouldn't worry, I seriously doubt its really that voltage. Isn't the Vcore derived from the main 3.3volt PSU line anyway? So max would be 3.3 even if all the mosfets shorted out etc.

My guess is that your voltage sensor circuit has blown up. I hope I'm wrong and that the CMOS reset / BIOS updates work eventually for you.

Back