CPU Cooler: Q6600

Deadeye

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
124
Hello and good day,
I've got a quite short question, thus I will not be making a long and extensive post. I am planning on getting a Q6600 and overclocking it to around 3,2Ghz. Now, what I was wondering was, would an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro be enough to handle this? If yes, how much higher do you think I can get?
Also, would I be able to get it to 3,6Ghz with a Scythe Mugen/infinity?
The rest of the system specs:
CM 590 casing with 4 casefans
Asus P5K SE Mobo
8800GTX VGA
Corsair HX520 PSU
If there are any other important specs that I am forgetting, please request them.
Thanks in advance.
 
it all depends on the chip, not all cpus are made exactly the same, if you look around you'll see this is the answer to a lot of questions like this. Its all on luck of the draw.
 
Yeah, this has been coved over and over again. The coolers to get have been coved as well.
 
Ok, that's pretty clear. Sorry for asking such a stupid question, in that case, I apologize. There is no rough estimate that can be given I suppose? E.g. the Freezer is such a crappy budget item, it won't get past 3Ghz.
 
OC depends on the CPU, but cooling definitely helps. Obviously the better coolers will help keep your temps down, thus resulting in a higher OC when temperature is the limiting factor.
 
That's a nice cooler, but I can't buy from newegg. I am from the netherlands, in europe. I am limited to a very select number of products, highlights being AC 7 pro, Scythe Mugen and the very expensive Zalman 9700.
 
Do a search on Xigmatek. They make the HDT-S1283 which is the OEM for Kingwin. Originally, Xig products could only be bought in europe.
 
The freezer 7 is a decenet cooler for the q6600. I had one on mine for about four months. The processor was overclocked to 3.0ghz and the temps stayed below 52C when running prime95. I did notice that temps started to rise a bit since winter is over and the room temperature has gone up. I also had pretty good airflow in my cosmos case, I replaced all the 120mm fans with Scythe S-Flex's. I bought a Noctua NH-U12P last week and I can already tell a differance in temps and sound. I will probably take it a step further and finally go to 3.2. The downside to that is that cooler is over $60.
 
The Freezer 7 is fine if that is one of your only options in the Netherlands. Its not a "bad" CPU cooler, its just not as good as some of the coolers available in some markets. A F7 would be fine if you want to hit around 3.2GHz.
 
+1 to tukson, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 kicks ass nipping @ the heals of the TRUE, so if you can find it, get it(depending on the price of course).
 
Zalman is not at all what they're cracked up to be -- forget the 9700, particularly if it's very expensive.
 
Great, thanks for all the help. The Xigmatek is not available for me at the moment. Which sucks.
I'm having a lot of doubts again, thinking about getting a E8400 instead. I am not a multitasker, I am a gamer. With this RAM I can only get to 3,6 Ghz on the E8400, I suppose an AC 7 Pro would be enough for that, since I have heard even the stock cooler can reach that. Although.. Having Q6600 at 3,6 Ghz would be better than a E8400 at 3,6Ghz, I suppose.. but it does involve more risks, for a first time overclocker like myself.
 
For about 150 the Nautilus is the best hands down, but its only the best if he wants to spend that much, and it still depends on the CPU...
 
Yeah, this has been coved over and over again. The coolers to get have been coved as well.

Not puttin' anybody down, but finding out which air cooling HSF is the best is kinda' an on going thing. Hell, it seems like every week the HSF manufacturers come out with a new HSF combo or HS (ie Xigmatek's regular, their Red Scorpion, their Ultra, the TRUE reg, the Ultra TRUE, etc, yeah I know the TRUE's have been out a while) or the fan manufacturers come out with a new super dooper almost silent fan to put on HS's like the TRUE's :rolleyes: IMO it's a never ending battle to know which air coolin' HS or HSF combo is tha' best.

I just don't see how anyone could stay current unless they asked questions on forums like this :confused:

The only way I can even come close to staying partially current is to WC' my boxen because IMHO WC'ing hardware doesn't change as much as air cooling hardware does (ie IMO Yate Loons are still the best fans for rads, pretty much the same water block for several different generations of cpu, etc) :)

Just my inflated $0.02 two cents worth :p

 
Back
Top