CPU Cooler for home NAS?

night_2004

2[H]4U
My home NAS is pretty noisy and I'm sure it's the stock heatsink fan generating most of the high frequency noise. I'd like to get a cheap replacement but I'm worried about blocking RAM slots and whatnot.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 245 (65W TDP)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE

I don't want something that is so heavy you have to install a stronger backplate (hated that when building my first rig); if the Corsair H60 were less expensive I'd consider buying that but it isn't worth doing with this low end rig. I just need something that at least keeps the CPU at reasonable temperatures when running in a home NAS capacity.

Noctua has one interesting cooler here but I thought maybe there was something better for cheaper. It's only $10 less than the H60 at MSRP but it at least has the 120mm Noctua fan included (which is something I should probably buy separately anyway). Even then the cost feels too high for what I need. Any idea if it is so bulky that it might block RAM slots?

Any suggestions for cheap upgrade other than the NH-L12?

one of the cheapest quality heatsinks is the CM 212+.
should have no problem with your AMD processor. clearance should be ok to, tho check cooler master website for HS diagram to be sure.

I don't want something that is so heavy you have to install a stronger backplate (hated that when building my first rig);

Ok, i hate backplates too, i only get coolers that clip directly to the AMD stock bracket and i 've searched a long time to see what's there:

So:

1) Scythe Big Shuriken rev B(it's sufficient for 65W TDP).
2) Scythe Rasetsu (i use it on my 125W AMD, it doesn't have RAM clearance issues, unless the RAM has very tall heatsinks).
3) Xigmatek Dark Knight
4) Xigmatek Balder.
5) DeepCool IceEdge 400XT (cheap and sufficient for 65W, but the retention clip for AMD isn't great, you can easily twist it while secured. But it should work).
6) Arctic Freezer 13 (cheap, efficient, the only bad thing is that you can't replace the stock fan if needed)
7)Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Limited Edition (cheap, beautiful and powerful, but again, you can't replace the stock fan if stops working)
8) Corsair A50 and A70

You must check the dimensions of the coolers though to make sure you have clearance.

Last edited:
Back