For two days I've been hearing a sort of whirring noise that would go for about a second and come back about 2 seconds later. Originally I thought this was the HDD on its last legs, but I rebooted my computer to find this error message greeting me: "CPU Chip Fan failed or slow." Or something very similar to that.
First and foremost the specs:
ASUS A8N-E, Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Zalman Heatsink (can't remember the exact make, but its worked over the year i've had the computer)
I have looked at every fan in my chassis and on the motherboard itself, and they all appear to be running, and running well. My temperature's (according to AIDA32) are CPU: 43C (109F) and motherboard 43C (109F). Now normally these temperatures would scare me a little, but the CPU one I can understand, because I run number crunching software (SETI and Rosetta), and when I turn this off, my CPU drops back down to 26C-28C, however, the motherboard number does not seem to budge.
I also ran a hard drive diagnostic tool and it gave me error messages that it was running too hot (48C). In my hasty diagnosis, I thought HDD, so I ordered a new one and have been backing up data, but when i saw the error message in the POST, I'm not so certain anymore. Could this just be a false error message, since all the fans seem to be working well? Could my HDD make a whirring sound?
Any advice would be appreciated.
First and foremost the specs:
ASUS A8N-E, Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Zalman Heatsink (can't remember the exact make, but its worked over the year i've had the computer)
I have looked at every fan in my chassis and on the motherboard itself, and they all appear to be running, and running well. My temperature's (according to AIDA32) are CPU: 43C (109F) and motherboard 43C (109F). Now normally these temperatures would scare me a little, but the CPU one I can understand, because I run number crunching software (SETI and Rosetta), and when I turn this off, my CPU drops back down to 26C-28C, however, the motherboard number does not seem to budge.
I also ran a hard drive diagnostic tool and it gave me error messages that it was running too hot (48C). In my hasty diagnosis, I thought HDD, so I ordered a new one and have been backing up data, but when i saw the error message in the POST, I'm not so certain anymore. Could this just be a false error message, since all the fans seem to be working well? Could my HDD make a whirring sound?
Any advice would be appreciated.