• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU Capacitor Discoloration Question

liquidfluidity

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
2,938
I recently bought a Quad from a very highly rated member. The chip came today and I see that 5 of the caps are discolored - 1 is pretty much black. I tried to clean with some alcohol and a swab but it didn't clean off. Is cap discoloration common or should I suspect overheating and thus return the chip. I don't have anything to try it in as it's for a friends build and he's on vacation for the next 10 days. I've never seen this and am at a loss as to what to do. What do you guys think?

dsc04507b.jpg
By liquidfluidity, shot with DSC-H1 at 2009-09-08[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
I am very specifically addressing only one part of your question.


Is cap discoloration common

No, as in it is not a normal function of cap usage/aging. Typically is is an indication of overheating as you suspect.
 
Posted a picture at very high res. If this is ground for punishment , please LMK and I will resize it to whatever is suggested. The resolution shows way more than I anticipated or could see with the naked eye.
 
Back
Top