• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

CPU burning hot

jawesome

n00b
Joined
Sep 18, 2010
Messages
6
i7 920, ASUS p6t x58 deluxe, win7 64bit. Not overclocked, no problems with this system for 1.5 years til last week.

Last week my HDD suddenly crashed and burned. I thought that was the extent of the problem. Today I see that the CPU is running at 60* C with no load, just booted windows after being turned off all night. After 10 min it's at 85* C with no load. I open some windows and play a video and run a small program to monitor temp and it's up to 100* C.

My usual load is 3DS Max, Photoshop, netflix and a billion tabs in chrome, sometimes also a game in a resized window. I would imagine this would have thrown the damn system over 100*C regularly for god knows how long.

Could temps like this cause HDD or mobo problems? The new HDD runs at 30* C and the motherboard is staying in the 40s* C, but I am having serious problems with the network adapter and I wonder if this is related to heat melting the hell out of my mobo or something insane.

How do I check to see if the CPU or mobo is already damaged from heat?

What can I do to bring these temps down? I have 2 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans. The CPU fan also works still.

In order to bring this temp down... Should I replace the fans? The heatsink? The CPU? The motherboard? ....Throw it all out the window and live on a nice little island with pina coladas and nudies?

Any help would be fantastic.
 
Last edited:
What can I do to bring these temps down? I have 2 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans. The CPU fan also works still.
What case do you have? I'm more than willing to bet that those 80mm fans are not providing sufficient cooling.

Also redo the thermal paste on the HSF if you haven't already.

Yea that's too hot BTW. Stop using the PC until you've got a handle on this heat issue.
 
clean the HSF, and no you didnt damage anything with heat.
 
like 86_5.0L said, clean the heatsinks and fans.. do a little cable management and like Danny suggestion you most likely need to redo the thermal paste.. especially if you were using the stock crap..

the network adapter going bad could be a sign that the motherboards having voltage regulation problems which could also explain the temp problems. it may be over volting the processor in the process.. probably not enough to damage it but enough to screw the temps up.. i had the same problem with my biostar TForce 780G(amd board) network adapter wouldnt work unless it was set to 10mbit.. pci slots started going out and then after about 3 months the board died.. the odds that this is the same exact problem are pretty slim but ya never know.. but id do the first 2 suggestions posted already and see if that helps..
 
Thanks guys. I'm gonna upgrade the case to that Antec 900, get a new mobo, get some non-stock fans for the case, and redo the thermal paste and the HSF, and give it a go.

Still thinking about the pina coladas though... This round's on me. =]
 
Don't get the Antec 900: It's overpriced and relatively cramped. I recommend this case instead:
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II ATX Case

$40 cheaper than the Antec 900 but far more roomer and easier to cable manage than the Antec 900.
 
i7 920, ASUS p6t x58 deluxe, win7 64bit. Not overclocked, no problems with this system for 1.5 years til last week.

Last week my HDD suddenly crashed and burned. I thought that was the extent of the problem. Today I see that the CPU is running at 60* C with no load, just booted windows after being turned off all night. After 10 min it's at 85* C with no load. I open some windows and play a video and run a small program to monitor temp and it's up to 100* C.

My usual load is 3DS Max, Photoshop, netflix and a billion tabs in chrome, sometimes also a game in a resized window. I would imagine this would have thrown the damn system over 100*C regularly for god knows how long.

Could temps like this cause HDD or mobo problems? The new HDD runs at 30* C and the motherboard is staying in the 40s* C, but I am having serious problems with the network adapter and I wonder if this is related to heat melting the hell out of my mobo or something insane.

How do I check to see if the CPU or mobo is already damaged from heat?

What can I do to bring these temps down? I have 2 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans. The CPU fan also works still.

In order to bring this temp down... Should I replace the fans? The heatsink? The CPU? The motherboard? ....Throw it all out the window and live on a nice little island with pina coladas and nudies?

Any help would be fantastic.


First thing first .. check to make sure you have GOOD contact between CPU & hsf.
 
If it was running fine and suddenly started running hot then you likely lost one of the VRMs on the motherboard and you are massively over-volting the CPU. It is very unlikely that your heatsink or thermal interface suddenly failed, and it would have to have a frightening amount of dirt/dust in the heatsink to do what you describe...
 
and it would have to have a frightening amount of dirt/dust in the heatsink to do what you describe...

hes had this running for 1.5 years, I've seen cases of caked dirt on the HS, its very possible
 
Back
Top