Court Overturns Father's Grounding of 12yr Old

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have got to be kidding me! A father grounds his 12 year old daughter off the internet because she posted inappropriate pictures of herself. The daughter SUES the father. Court sides with the kid. I don’t know much about the legal system up there but this is just crazy. All I can say to that little girl is that she'd better hope Canadian foster homes have PCs with internet access.

According to court documents, the girl's Internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Thanks to [H] Forum member MrAgmoore for the link.

Nice... sarcasm. Society of entitlement.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Can you imagine what this bitch is going to be like when she is of age.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Can you imagine what this bitch is going to be like when she is of age.

One that I wouldn't want to marry (or wait, did I marry one, lmao) :D

Yes, there is certainly nothing more to this than what is reported sensationally on shitty news sites. No chance that the mother, who is embroiled in a decade-long custody battle with the father, might have influenced this event; this is obviously nothing more than a spoiled child getting a lawyer and taking advantage of an obviously flawed legal system with no depth beyond what you see on aforementioned shitty news sites. There isn't a :rolleyes: big enough for how easily people are goaded into overblown outrage over a poorly-worded news story.

"Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against dear old dad. "

I bet the mother of the girl has a LOT to do with how she is acting.....

What does the court think would be the proper punishment for a 12 year old posting nude (i'm assuming that want they were) pics of herself online?

So not only can you not hit your child you can't ground them? And people wonder why children are so out of control. They need to be beat a little more every now and then. Not bad enough that they need medial treatement or anything like that. But a nice ass spanking so that they can't sit down for a few minutes. Just like teachers use to do with the wooden padles.

What does the court think would be the proper punishment for a 12 year old posting nude (i'm assuming that want they were) pics of herself online?

So not only can you not hit your child you can't ground them? And people wonder why children are so out of control. They need to be beat a little more every now and then. Not bad enough that they need medial treatement or anything like that. But a nice ass spanking so that they can't sit down for a few minutes. Just like teachers use to do with the wooden padles.

Ok, looks like according to the other site that Rofl-Mic-Lofl posted that they were nudes but were pictures of herself in clothing "inappropriate for a child her age,"

Yes, there is certainly nothing more to this than what is reported sensationally on shitty news sites.... ...There isn't a :rolleyes: big enough for how easily people are goaded into overblown outrage over a poorly-worded news story.
Not correct my good Sir, there are major news-sites covering it...
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9kqGvkVPSvo-KNWFDWAg-mVfleg
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=122438
Many others just by searching Google, I saw it show up in City newspapers, Canadian times, etc.

Yes, there is certainly nothing more to this than what is reported sensationally on shitty news sites. No chance that the mother, who is embroiled in a decade-long custody battle with the father, might have influenced this event; this is obviously nothing more than a spoiled child getting a lawyer and taking advantage of an obviously flawed legal system with no depth beyond what you see on aforementioned shitty news sites. There isn't a :rolleyes: big enough for how easily people are goaded into overblown outrage over a poorly-worded news story.

My thought as well; who the hell is AFP? Then again, this did supposedly take place in Canada so who knows. ;)

Even if there was another party involved, or more details in the background. The case was about a father grounding his kid because she broke his rules. The court should not have any say in the matter. It all still boils down to an idiot judge trying to tell other people how they should raise their kids. If mommy and daddy can't get along, that's their problem. Not the courts.

Once upon a time, a saner time, this judge would have been dragged out of the courtroom and been put in the stockade, or hanged.

The girl and judge, and the lawyer who took her case, all need beat.

Hey I am from Canada (Montreal)
and let me tell you why something like this happened.

The lower court system is crowded by retarded juges.

Unbelievable, Kids think they are entitled to everything nowadays. If I pulled a stunt like that when I was a kid my dad would have kicked my ass THEN taken away the internet. Absolutely unreal. I am 28 and I am scared to death on what kids will get away with when I have kids, I hope I can raise them the way I was raise but that will probably be against the law by then.

Unbelievable, Kids think they are entitled to everything nowadays. If I pulled a stunt like that when I was a kid my dad would have kicked my ass THEN taken away the internet. Absolutely unreal. I am 28 and I am scared to death on what kids will get away with when I have kids, I hope I can raise them the way I was raise but that will probably be against the law by then.

Read the link I posted. Here's another: http://winnipegsun.com/News/Canada/2008/06/19/5924686.html

Trying to avoid having grounded teenagers rushing to the nearest courthouse, lawyers for both sides insist the judge’s decision applies only to this girl’s unusual circumstances.

Crappy website trying to get hits. Looks like it worked.;)

So when did the court systems start interfering with personal matters that didn’t involve a violation of the law?

Not only would I appeal the decision, as a father, I would go a step further by making her life “difficult”. It’s amazing how much children take luxuries for granted. Without a cell phone, furniture, TV, video games, allowance and designer clothing, life gets a little more “interesting”…

Read the link I posted. Here's another: http://winnipegsun.com/News/Canada/2008/06/19/5924686.html

Trying to avoid having grounded teenagers rushing to the nearest courthouse, lawyers for both sides insist the judge’s decision applies only to this girl’s unusual circumstances.

Crappy website trying to get hits. Looks like it worked.;)

Everyone's circumstance are going to be unusual. Every kid who doesn't like the rules their parents lay down is going have some reason they should be allowed to do what they want instead of paying the consequences for their actions. Maybe it's the senior prom. Maybe it's the one night a long distance friend you haven't seen in years is going to be in town.

You have got to be kidding me! A father grounds his 12 year old daughter off the internet because she posted inappropriate pictures of herself. The daughter SUES the father. Court sides with the kid. I don’t know much about the legal system up there but this is just crazy. All I can say to that little girl is that she'd better hope Canadian foster homes have PCs with internet access.

Thanks to [H] Forum member MrAgmoore for the link.

The court didn't overturn the internet grounding, they overturned her being grounded from a 3 day trip with her school.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080619.wcurfew19/BNStory/lifeFamily/home
http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCAN1945470120080619

I just read the reuters story. I hardly think missing a fucking elementary school trip is going to scar the little bitch for life. That judge needs to have her ass kicked twice as badly as that kid.

What the judge has done now is going to damage the girl more than missing any trip ever could.

The court didn't overturn the internet grounding, they overturned her being grounded from a 3 day trip with her school.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080619.wcurfew19/BNStory/lifeFamily/home
http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCAN1945470120080619

It was still making a case that had no business being in a court. Besides, if the girl can't conduct herself accordingly on the internet, why should the father believe she will do so when she goes on this trip?

So, the mother has custody of the child; that changes everything…

If the father is trying to impose restrictions/rules on the child’s life while she’s in the custody of here mother, then it’s the responsibility of the mother to enforce these rules. If the mother feels the rules are unfair, then the father hasn’t a ground to stand on. The mother is responsible for enforcing rules and restrictions on the child life as she seems just…

If the father is trying to impose restrictions/rules on the child’s life while she’s in the custody of here mother, then it’s the responsibility of the mother to enforce these rules. If the mother feels the rules are unfair, then the father hasn’t a ground to stand on. The mother is responsible for enforcing rules and restrictions on the child life as she seems just…

Where did you read that? I read that the father has custody.

even IF a punishment is a little over the top parents should never contradict one another. reason being is when the kid see they can get away with murder by just pitting the parents against eachother they will. the child was living with the father up until this dispute. it's not as if he was beating the child... grounding is completely acceptable

Where did you read that? I read that the father has custody.

The girl's parents are divorced. Her father has legal custody but for the past month she has lived with her mother, Ms. Fortin said.

It sounds like the father has "legal custody" (i.e. she lives with him, he claims her on his taxes, etc.) but they have "joint custody". Thus, the time she is living with the mother, her mother's rules apply to the household. During the times she lives with the father, her father's rules apply to the household. Also, at the age of 12, I think the child has a choice of which parent she wants to live with...

Bet there were some fresh belt marks on that kid's a$$ after the hearing...

The girl's parents are divorced. Her father has legal custody but for the past month she has lived with her mother, Ms. Fortin said.

It sounds like the father has "legal custody" (i.e. she lives with him, he claims her on his taxes, etc.) but they have "joint custody". Thus, the time she is living with the mother, her mother's rules apply to the household. During the times she lives with the father, her father's rules apply to the household. Also, at the age of 12, I think the child has a choice of which parent she wants to live with...

It reads more like the father had sole legal and physical custody (joint custody is when both parents get no less than 40% of the time with the child) and that after this debacle he sent her to live with her mom. Not sure when the school trip or court hearing was. I'll have to re-read it.

Situations like these are more of a symptom of a messed up home life rather than a cause. Of course, suing dad certainly doesn't help improve family bonding.

This is what people deserve for handing the ability to raise their kids over to the State.

even IF a punishment is a little over the top parents should never contradict one another. reason being is when the kid see they can get away with murder by just pitting the parents against eachother they will. the child was living with the father up until this dispute. it's not as if he was beating the child... grounding is completely acceptable

I totally agree with you! The reason this hits home is because I'm a single father with "joint physical custody" over our daughter. My ex-wife has "joint legal custody". When I discipline our daughter, my ex-wife and I usually we come to an agreement when it involves a restriction during the other parent’s visitation period. However, it’s completely up to the other parent to enforce these restrictions.

In this case, I think it’s more of an issue with the mom and the father than the child and the father. Obviously the mother has gone out of her way to hire a lawyer and involve the court systems.

Back