Court Order Helps Microsoft Tear Down Botnet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft has been granted a court order that will cut off some two hundred and seventy seven .com domains that are associated with the notorious Waledac botnet.

With the help of a U.S. federal judge, Microsoft has struck a blow against one of the Internet's worst sources of spam: the notorious Waledac botnet. Microsoft said late Wednesday that it had been granted a court order that will cut off 277 .com domains associated with the botnet.

[qouote]Microsoft believes the botnet can send over 1.5 billion spam messages daily[/quote]if this action can cut that number, it will be wonderful. i get far too much spam

Power to them for trying, but it probably won't make a dent. I get get a bunch of MS spam too.

1.499 Billion of them are spam for bogus Medications.

[qouote]Microsoft believes the botnet can send over 1.5 billion spam messages daily
if this action can cut that number, it will be wonderful. i get far too much spam[/QUOTE]

The question is, why do they have to go to court to close down those .coms, knowing that they are the source for spam!
I would have just closed them down then dealt with the music later.

The question is, why do they have to go to court to close down those .coms, knowing that they are the source for spam!

You want Microsoft to be another RIAA and take matters in their own hands? I'm sure most of us do not want any corporate entity to have that much power.

Microsoft did the right thing going to a judge and offer their assistance.

that would be one way to handle it but, it's better to do the right thing. Microsooft doesn't need a PR nightmare.

Taking matters in their own hands to protect themselves and their customers from unwanted spam should be acceptable. However making decisions to raise the price of software by 50% and forcing everyone to use IE as their only browser is another story.
You shouldn't have to go to court each time you need to make changes, especially from a security perspective. Unless I am in left field on this completely :)
Having said that I am happy they did take the initiative to block these guys

Taking matters in their own hands to protect themselves and their customers from unwanted spam should be acceptable. However making decisions to raise the price of software by 50% and forcing everyone to use IE as their only browser is another story.
You shouldn't have to go to court each time you need to make changes, especially from a security perspective. Unless I am in left field on this completely :)
Having said that I am happy they did take the initiative to block these guys

Oy vey. Microsoft doesn't force you to use shit, and the price of their software hasn't gone up.

Although I'm not partial to Microsoft's portfolio of technology offerings, I gotta give them props for this.

Also, in response to shlooky, Microsoft has had their fair share of court dealings as well. Meaning, they're not always working WITH the courts on issues of law.

Read the article:
Microsoft argues that Verisign, which manages the .com domain, is a choke-point for the botnet. The court has apparently ordered Verisign to remove the botnet's command-and-control domains from the Internet.

The court order was designed to force Verisign take action without the Waledac controllers getting advanced notice. And Microsoft IS taking additional (unspecified) action on their end.

Back