Counter Strike: Global Offensive

I feel like there is a decent amount of delay in this game. Sometimes | even see a blood spray but the game says I have not hit them. What can I do to fix this? My ping is usually around 20-50. It just seems like whatever I do is delayed result's wise.
 
I feel like there is a decent amount of delay in this game. Sometimes | even see a blood spray but the game says I have not hit them. What can I do to fix this? My ping is usually around 20-50. It just seems like whatever I do is delayed result's wise.

Net_graph 4 is the answer to all lag questions, you can see the state of the upload, download, client, and server. Also if you're seeing blood spurts then you're hitting real, server confirmed hits.
 
hit detection is sporadic in this game. i can close my eyes and have a seizure with the mouse and get a headshot. then in the next breath i'll burst-fire at an enemy's head through an entire magazine and not do any damage.
 
I tried. I really did. I played CS for years, even at a competitive level. This just holds nothing for me anymore. :(
 
hit detection is sporadic in this game. i can close my eyes and have a seizure with the mouse and get a headshot. then in the next breath i'll burst-fire at an enemy's head through an entire magazine and not do any damage.

I concurr with this.

Some rounds it seems spot on. Other times I can be 10 feet away and miss with a short burst, even crouched.

Overall thought, I still like it for a quick bout of shoot'em up. Can't sit and play for hours any more though.
 
hit detection is sporadic in this game. i can close my eyes and have a seizure with the mouse and get a headshot. then in the next breath i'll burst-fire at an enemy's head through an entire magazine and not do any damage.

So it's like CS 1.6 and CSS then...

:D
 
I tried. I really did. I played CS for years, even at a competitive level. This just holds nothing for me anymore. :(

It's called growing up.

I can't sit around and play certain games for hours anymore, but not because I don't want to or the games suck, because I have a house and a job and real life things that need getting done.

Ahh the days of having endless free time.
 
hit detection is sporadic in this game. i can close my eyes and have a seizure with the mouse and get a headshot. then in the next breath i'll burst-fire at an enemy's head through an entire magazine and not do any damage.

This. Got a free copy of CSS when i bought HL2 a long time ago. Never thought the hit detection made any sense.

Some friends bought CS:GO a few days after release, and i thought i would give it another try. Same experience; Same spray and pray hit detection.

I don't really see how so many people flocked to CS, but to each their own. I'll probably be sticking to Battlefield 3, Payday and L4D2.
 
Yea Head Shots are way too easy in this game. I would love you see stats on Head shots as a percentage of kills. It seems ridiculous dying 8/10 to a HS.
 
I wish the corpses had rag doll physics like in source.

this is also what baffles me, physics objects in GO takes a step back compared to source... most of the physics are cosmetic, but that is Source Engine signature stuff right there. I don't recall reading about tuning down physics as a conscious decision either. It turns me off when I shoot a table in office and it's an ugly static object; doesn't break and it doesn't even move.
 
this is also what baffles me, physics objects in GO takes a step back compared to source... most of the physics are cosmetic, but that is Source Engine signature stuff right there. I don't recall reading about tuning down physics as a conscious decision either. It turns me off when I shoot a table in office and it's an ugly static object; doesn't break and it doesn't even move.

Not sure, I hated the physics objects in Source. Pretty annoying, in fact, with the default settings, tripping over dozens of shitty props.
 
Yea Head Shots are way too easy in this game. I would love you see stats on Head shots as a percentage of kills. It seems ridiculous dying 8/10 to a HS.

CSGO_betaData_rev2.jpg
 
I get this message in my console after every round "shutdown 2 predictable entities". Does anyone else get this or know what it means?
Thank you
 
I get this message in my console after every round "shutdown 2 predictable entities". Does anyone else get this or know what it means?
Thank you

It's likely just debug spew they left, nothing to worry about.
 
Yea Head Shots are way too easy in this game. I would love you see stats on Head shots as a percentage of kills. It seems ridiculous dying 8/10 to a HS.

They're only easy because there are a lot of people playing this game that have no fucking idea what they are doing lol. In pubs on CSS my HS % is like 70, but in esea it's like 25%.

This game still has some more updates that are probably coming out, I think they released it prematurely, but I can see why since it has been so damn long since the last CS came out.
 
I have to admit I'm just totally in love with this game. The 5v5 match making works so well I don't even bother with pubs anymore it's so much more of a challenge. Even late at night you never have to worry about being the guy with 4 bots. Steam is so good at sending people your way I'm rarely stuck with bots for more thank a round or two.

I'm seriously gushing even my whiny friend who only played 1.6 for for the last 10 years has completely turned over to cs:go.

It's not perfectly but the sound is amazing. Even with cheap headphones I can track anyone within 100ft of me.

The general consensus I've heard is theres literally no reason to play Source anymore and once they get all the mod maps and tournes going no ones gonna be competing in 1.6 anymore.
 
I have to admit I'm just totally in love with this game. The 5v5 match making works so well I don't even bother with pubs anymore it's so much more of a challenge. Even late at night you never have to worry about being the guy with 4 bots. Steam is so good at sending people your way I'm rarely stuck with bots for more thank a round or two.
How exactly do you enter 5vs5 match making game?? (Also, you're talking about Classic casual/competitive game, right?)
I didn't know CS:GO had match making system. I only played on pub servers (server browser)
 
How exactly do you enter 5vs5 match making game?? (Also, you're talking about Classic casual/competitive game, right?)
I didn't know CS:GO had match making system. I only played on pub servers (server browser)

Yeah just click find game and choose your options. It will set you up.
 
Can someone explain net_graph 4 for me? I understand choke and lerp to a certain degree but now I see another term called var, and I forget what the one to the left of it is called. What do those mean and what should they be set to or displaying?
Thank you
 
Yeah just click find game and choose your options. It will set you up.
I see. I've just tried a sever rounds with "Find Game". The servers it connects me to all have high pings. (70~100ms). Whereas if I find games using server browser, I can play on low ping servers. (2~5ms)
 
Can someone explain net_graph 4 for me? I understand choke and lerp to a certain degree but now I see another term called var, and I forget what the one to the left of it is called. What do those mean and what should they be set to or displaying?
Thank you

Your cmd/updaterate shouldn't be dropping ideally, you (as in the client) should strive to at least maintain a framerate equal to or above the server tickrate. If the server tickrate is 64

If lerp is orange, the client isn't getting enough time to actually interpolate, instead it extrapolates and hopes to correct the errors later. yes, you're technically cutting out a minor bit of delay (which can be useful for projectile weapons like rockets in TF2) but for hitscan weapons you'll probably be doing more harm than good. The "lag" is compensated for.

SV is the server framerate. Var measures the fluctuation of the server framerate over a bunch of frames, it should be stable and low. If the server framerate ever drops blow the tick rate (or is having huge fluctuations in general) then the server is struggling, it's a piece of shit and / or overloaded one way or another.

Tickrate is the actual game world update ticks, GO ticks 64 times per second by default afaik. That means the server is updating the game world about every 15ms. I'm still somewhat doubtful that you'll be getting any truly meaningful benefits of going higher outside of LAN. 64 ticks/s should be quite smooth in all actuality. You're certainly, very quickly, approaching diminishing returns. This is IMO, people will of course swear by the difference and argue it, but I doubt you'll get to really appreciate the difference with typical internet pings. I believe SV used to dictate how often the update rate was processed. Not 100%~ sure but that should be pretty close to the truth. Now, I think it's mostly legacy FUD as the server (since the Orange Box engine) has been threaded and will handle the updates immediately in a separate thread instead of in step with the SV framerate, so you should theoretically be golden as long as SV maintains an equal rate with the actual tickrate -- as in a 64 tick server should be fine with SV of 64, going higher very well may just do nothing besides making you feel good about a bigger number. If you really have a boner for it being higher, I'd guess a multiplier would probably be the safest bet for not screwing something up somehow.

TLDR: The safe bet is for everything to be equal (or more in some cases) to the server tickrate -- and not fluctuating while doing it. If it's accuracy you're after, white lerp is probably your best choice for hitscan.
 
I have to admit I'm just totally in love with this game. The 5v5 match making works so well I don't even bother with pubs anymore it's so much more of a challenge. Even late at night you never have to worry about being the guy with 4 bots. Steam is so good at sending people your way I'm rarely stuck with bots for more thank a round or two.

I'm seriously gushing even my whiny friend who only played 1.6 for for the last 10 years has completely turned over to cs:go.

It's not perfectly but the sound is amazing. Even with cheap headphones I can track anyone within 100ft of me.

The general consensus I've heard is theres literally no reason to play Source anymore and once they get all the mod maps and tournes going no ones gonna be competing in 1.6 anymore.
sadly that quickplay only puts you in valve servers which are always default. There is a community server quickplay as well if you want to expand beyond the way valve wants things.
 
I'm still somewhat doubtful that you'll be getting any truly meaningful benefits of going higher outside of LAN. 64 ticks/s should be quite smooth in all actuality. You're certainly, very quickly, approaching diminishing returns. This is IMO, people will of course swear by the difference and argue it, but I doubt you'll get to really appreciate the difference with typical internet pings.

I have a 128 tick server id like you to try and see if you notice a difference.

I believe SV used to dictate how often the update rate was processed. Not 100%~ sure but that should be pretty close to the truth. Now, I think it's mostly legacy FUD as the server (since the Orange Box engine) has been threaded and will handle the updates immediately in a separate thread instead of in step with the SV framerate, so you should theoretically be golden as long as SV maintains an equal rate with the actual tickrate -- as in a 64 tick server should be fine with SV of 64, going higher very well may just do nothing besides making you feel good about a bigger number. If you really have a boner for it being higher, I'd guess a multiplier would probably be the safest bet for not screwing something up somehow.
SV is adjusting the sleep timer. Its how many ticks the server processes per second. With higher FPS the VAR drops. Just because TF2 is locked to 66 tick/FPS doesnt mean its optimal for every other game. They ported CSS over to the TF2 engine. Thats why they locked it on that game to. CSGOs engine has been rewritten so that tickrate and FPS work properly thus why its unlocked.
 
I think I actually have a small complaint as of tonight. A lot of people myself included like to roll around with a team of friends or clanmates looking for matches. Because of the familiarity and usually external communication like vent this gives you a massive advantage regardless of skill. This is not my complaint. My complaint is people who do that and then gloat when they win against a team of randoms or a couple randoms and a few bots.

It's really rude and just makes people want to leave. I don't mind a challenge. I'll happily lose 16 rounds against someone or a group who vastly outmatch me in skill if it means I get the practice, but say you've never played this game before.

This isn't deathmatch like COD where you can get plenty of luck kills. You have to work for it from day one and it's not easy to get into cs for most people. It's like buying golf clubs and then signing up for a tournament. It's easy to get frustrated and quit. I got lucky and started with CSS on launch when it was messed up enough to be more fun than sport. I had time to learn before all the balancing and I still got my ass handed to me regularly.

I don't have a fix. I just kinda wish those douchebags would keep that shit to themselves. I have no problem leading randoms against a clan. Just don't run those people off before I can teach them strats and leave me stuck with bots.

Sidenote hilarious thing happened tonight. Was in D2 awping T side middle. Two CTS tried to awp me from ct side mid. One of them moved in front of the other as they fired and got awped by his teammate who then got awped by me. I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. never seen that happen before in a 5v5.
 
Last edited:
Been loving the game so far! One thing that is bothering me though is that my server browser never shows any servers, even with all filters not selected. If I do a "find quick match" or whatever it loads just fine but I would like to select which map/server I am going to specifically.

Anyone else have this problem? Know how to fix it? I have no problems with server browsers in any other games I have on Steam.
 
It's not perfectly but the sound is amazing. Even with cheap headphones I can track anyone within 100ft of me.
.

The only problem I have with the sound is that it is very hard to tell whether or not they are in front or behind you when approaching from the side and exactly how far away they are since you can hear them almost half way across the map.

I think I actually have a small complaint as of tonight. A lot of people myself included like to roll around with a team of friends or clanmates looking for matches. Because of the familiarity and usually external communication like vent this gives you a massive advantage regardless of skill. This is not my complaint. My complaint is people who do that and then gloat when they win against a team of randoms or a couple randoms and a few bots.

It's really rude and just makes people want to leave. I don't mind a challenge. I'll happily lose 16 rounds against someone or a group who vastly outmatch me in skill if it means I get the practice, but say you've never played this game before.

This isn't deathmatch like COD where you can get plenty of luck kills. You have to work for it from day one and it's not easy to get into cs for most people. It's like buying golf clubs and then signing up for a tournament. It's easy to get frustrated and quit. I got lucky and started with CSS on launch when it was messed up enough to be more fun than sport. I had time to learn before all the balancing and I still got my ass handed to me regularly.

I don't have a fix. I just kinda wish those douchebags would keep that shit to themselves. I have no problem leading randoms against a clan. Just don't run those people off before I can teach them strats and leave me stuck with bots.

Also, welcome to the majority of the CSS competitive community. It is nothing but idiots and douche bags with the exception of few people. Best thing to do is not give a rats ass about what they are saying, once you get to that point the game becomes much more enjoyable whether or not your winning.
 
I have a 128 tick server id like you to try and see if you notice a difference.

Played on tons, in GO and on 100 tics in Source. I still can't conclude with certainty that there is an absolute game-changer in play. Even at it's best, all planets perfectly aligned, the difference is minor. There's something there, but in reality I don't think you'll be realizing the full benefits outside of really good conditions (like how I ping 10~ to good NY servers :)).

I have a 120hz monitor and the difference from 60 to 120 is blatant, the former is still definitely smooth but 120 is comparatively flawless. So yeah, I totally think there a difference is possible, but I'd imagine netcode black magic will actually foul this comparison up somewhat, especially since it compensates for stuff like interpolation.

Quake 3 ticked at 20 by default, later 30 with mods. It's 40 now in Quake Live (and also lag compensated for) and given that, that is seemingly fine for the most ridiculous players on the planet, I'm weary at there being much more improvement to be found.

SV is adjusting the sleep timer. Its how many ticks the server processes per second. With higher FPS the VAR drops. Just because TF2 is locked to 66 tick/FPS doesnt mean its optimal for every other game. They ported CSS over to the TF2 engine. Thats why they locked it on that game to. CSGOs engine has been rewritten so that tickrate and FPS work properly thus why its unlocked.

FPS wasn't locked in Orange Box / TF2, you could go as berserk as you wanted. They locked tick but FPS was free. You could even set the FPS on L4D servers, I did it on my mine. I probably clocked well over 100 hours on that server alone, var did lower, but I don't really recall ever seeing a noticeable difference, even at 500.
 
Played on tons, in GO and on 100 tics in Source. I still can't conclude with certainty that there is an absolute game-changer in play. Even at it's best, all planets perfectly aligned, the difference is minor. There's something there, but in reality I don't think you'll be realizing the full benefits outside of really good conditions (like how I ping 10~ to good NY servers :)).

I have a 120hz monitor and the difference from 60 to 120 is blatant, the former is still definitely smooth but 120 is comparatively flawless. So yeah, I totally think there a difference is possible, but I'd imagine netcode black magic will actually foul this comparison up somewhat, especially since it compensates for stuff like interpolation.

Quake 3 ticked at 20 by default, later 30 with mods. It's 40 now in Quake Live (and also lag compensated for) and given that, that is seemingly fine for the most ridiculous players on the planet, I'm weary at there being much more improvement to be found.


FPS wasn't locked in Orange Box / TF2, you could go as berserk as you wanted. They locked tick but FPS was free. You could even set the FPS on L4D servers, I did it on my mine. I probably clocked well over 100 hours on that server alone, var did lower, but I don't really recall ever seeing a noticeable difference, even at 500.
FPS is locked now to tickrate in Source. Should be in TF2 as well. L4D is a diff engine.

Your not going to see a couple huge differences. Its a bunch of subtle differences. The most obvious thing you can notice is how smooth the server is and how crisp registration is. I can notice both tickrate and FPS being low but where i aim and where my shots land and how the server feels. Just like before with 100 tick CSS. If you cant notice it then thats just something on your end. People telling me "Your server is orgasmic" and "this server is like liquid gold" proves that my experience isnt just in my head.

If you cant feel it then more power to you. I wish i wasnt able to. Also keep in mind there is a such thing as a terrible high tickrate/fps server.
 
FPS is locked now to tickrate in Source. Should be in TF2 as well. L4D is a diff engine.

Your not going to see a couple huge differences. Its a bunch of subtle differences. The most obvious thing you can notice is how smooth the server is and how crisp registration is. I can notice both tickrate and FPS being low but where i aim and where my shots land and how the server feels. Just like before with 100 tick CSS. If you cant notice it then thats just something on your end. People telling me "Your server is orgasmic" and "this server is like liquid gold" proves that my experience isnt just in my head.

If you cant feel it then more power to you. I wish i wasnt able to. Also keep in mind there is a such thing as a terrible high tickrate/fps server.

I think a big win from tickrate might come from the fact that you can get lower interp (safely and reliably). There's going to be less delay when it's lower, and even though it's technically compensated for, it's just going to feel snappier. You could be shaving off like 17ms worth on interpolation and still having it be "safe" in the white going from 64 to 128. From there if you really want you can drop it lower and have it feel snappier at the expense of potential error / jitter. I'm not really sure you're actually winning much in terms of the raw, extra updates, but rather that, that effectively enables some other beneficial perks.

I just swapped between a 64 tick and 128 tick deathmatch servers, killing 50+ in each, and I do think the 128 one feels a bit snappier. Crisper is a good term. They were both solid, both registered fine, but there is that feeling of slightly sharper response. Not really world shattering, and I don't really thing UGH GOD 64 IS UTTERLY UNPLAYABLE SHIT, but I had to put my theory crafting aside and go try hands on for myself again to get a feel... which lead me to the interp revelation above. I wasn't taking the fact that you could safely shave off like 17ms worth of delay from the interpolation time differences, which is a substantial enough amount of time to be feel at low pings. I had about 25 to both servers. I ping like 10~ (and sometimes under) to good NY servers, too bad there are seemingly no NY DM servers.

edit: also I came across this horrorshow
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1135159931906952693/8948288CF203826962AE5C9E6EC8A34EB1EEEA58/

Also unfortunately I ping like shit to your server, I apparently don't ping very well to FL, at all.
 
Last edited:
Quick question. I am trying to get my fps to match my rates if not higher but my computer seems to just keep the fps at around 70-95. I turned off aa shadows low. I have an i7 950, 6 gigs of ram, GTX 470 sli. I would hope this computer could hit 120 fps on a game like this. Am I wrong? Thank you so much.
 
I think I actually have a small complaint as of tonight. A lot of people myself included like to roll around with a team of friends or clanmates looking for matches. Because of the familiarity and usually external communication like vent this gives you a massive advantage regardless of skill. This is not my complaint. My complaint is people who do that and then gloat when they win against a team of randoms or a couple randoms and a few bots.

It's really rude and just makes people want to leave. I don't mind a challenge. I'll happily lose 16 rounds against someone or a group who vastly outmatch me in skill if it means I get the practice, but say you've never played this game before.

This isn't deathmatch like COD where you can get plenty of luck kills. You have to work for it from day one and it's not easy to get into cs for most people. It's like buying golf clubs and then signing up for a tournament. It's easy to get frustrated and quit. I got lucky and started with CSS on launch when it was messed up enough to be more fun than sport. I had time to learn before all the balancing and I still got my ass handed to me regularly.

I don't have a fix. I just kinda wish those douchebags would keep that shit to themselves. I have no problem leading randoms against a clan. Just don't run those people off before I can teach them strats and leave me stuck with bots.

Sidenote hilarious thing happened tonight. Was in D2 awping T side middle. Two CTS tried to awp me from ct side mid. One of them moved in front of the other as they fired and got awped by his teammate who then got awped by me. I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. never seen that happen before in a 5v5.

Maybe disallow global chat for match making games? I mean in what situation would you need to talk to the other team? Ya maybe like GG or GL but im sure people could get by without them. I dont play the game but that seems like the best option. Or make it an option you can enable in game as a player?
 
Quick question. I am trying to get my fps to match my rates if not higher but my computer seems to just keep the fps at around 70-95. I turned off aa shadows low. I have an i7 950, 6 gigs of ram, GTX 470 sli. I would hope this computer could hit 120 fps on a game like this. Am I wrong? Thank you so much.

120+ should be easy with that hardware.
 
I think I actually have a small complaint as of tonight. A lot of people myself included like to roll around with a team of friends or clanmates looking for matches. Because of the familiarity and usually external communication like vent this gives you a massive advantage regardless of skill. This is not my complaint. My complaint is people who do that and then gloat when they win against a team of randoms or a couple randoms and a few bots.

It's really rude and just makes people want to leave. I don't mind a challenge. I'll happily lose 16 rounds against someone or a group who vastly outmatch me in skill if it means I get the practice, but say you've never played this game before.

This isn't deathmatch like COD where you can get plenty of luck kills. You have to work for it from day one and it's not easy to get into cs for most people. It's like buying golf clubs and then signing up for a tournament. It's easy to get frustrated and quit. I got lucky and started with CSS on launch when it was messed up enough to be more fun than sport. I had time to learn before all the balancing and I still got my ass handed to me regularly.

I don't have a fix. I just kinda wish those douchebags would keep that shit to themselves. I have no problem leading randoms against a clan. Just don't run those people off before I can teach them strats and leave me stuck with bots.

Sidenote hilarious thing happened tonight. Was in D2 awping T side middle. Two CTS tried to awp me from ct side mid. One of them moved in front of the other as they fired and got awped by his teammate who then got awped by me. I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. never seen that happen before in a 5v5.
You and your team of friends/clanmates should use ventrilo when playing.
Quick question. I am trying to get my fps to match my rates if not higher but my computer seems to just keep the fps at around 70-95. I turned off aa shadows low. I have an i7 950, 6 gigs of ram, GTX 470 sli. I would hope this computer could hit 120 fps on a game like this. Am I wrong? Thank you so much.
FPS depends on map. You have a similar system to mine and i get 100+ usually Some maps its less and some maps its more. Where im at on the map makes it vary as well.
 
Can someone please teach me to not suck? I swear to god I started playing this game and would have a K/D of 2 and now I'm getting like a .3 it's insane. I walked corners, even peaking, and instant headshot and I seem to not be able to kill anyone. Should I turn mouse acceleration off? Should I lower/raise sensitivity? Any tips at all would be awesome, so badly do I want to not suck haahha
 
Back
Top