New lifetime player stats and summary screens
New match player stats and summary screens
New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
New cinematic death camera
New domination and revenge system
Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
Incorporated many source engine updates

Very interesting, released today, I didnt know anything about this. I'll be downloading as soon as i get home.

Counter-Strike was released in 2004. Six years later, Valve is still supporting it with meaningful updates. Absolutely fantastic.

This is completely out of left field. I cant find any articles online about this BETA other than exact quotes from the Valve News section from today. Was there any mention of this before today?

It also begs the question: When this update comes out will it be a MUST have to play? Will you still be able to connect to servers with out it. And as someone who runs a server myself, what will I have to do to my server?

Ok I figured it out. This is moving CSS to the orange box engine (eventually?) to help with the MAC steam play release.

Last edited:
I heard the news while using my phone in class. Rushed back home after class, launch up steam and BAM! "No more available slots" FML...

fuckin valve, one of my favorite PC games in the entire universe and u do me liek dat? :(

This is Valve is the best company in the world. Others should take them as the golden example and copy extensively.

They just need to make sure not to release L4D3 before HL2:EP3

nice! might have to install it and dust off the ol' cobwebs!

Wow hope this does come out for the mac, can play this on the road on my macbook pro.

What pointless updates........... just making it console friendly. :rolleyes:

/I have a 5 digit steam I.D.

So my opinion > yours. ;)

The updates sound like crap. Ruin the classic look.

Mods and server mods already do a good job of all that. There is no need for an official update to add silly things from other games like global stats and revenges, etc.

I always prefered the fan driven stats and funny domination wavs.

I HATE achievements. They stop me from enjoying the game and make it more like work to accomplish things. If an achievement doesn't happen in the course of regular play, it shouldn't be there.

What pointless updates........... just making it console friendly. :rolleyes:

/I have a 5 digit steam I.D.

So my opinion > yours. ;)

That's going to be a new momma joke.... Your mom is so old her steam I'd is 1

I HATE achievements. They stop me from enjoying the game and make it more like work to accomplish things. If an achievement doesn't happen in the course of regular play, it shouldn't be there.

Or you could just ignore the achievements and they wouldn't hurt you.

I can't ignore something if it's there. I'll be playing and one will eventually pop up. I don't want them to change gameplay either in the future like in TF2.

He's worried that things won't end with pure achievements. In TF2, you HAVE to get achievements to unlock key weapons. If they do the same to CSS, suddenly it's not optional window dressing.

CS has been so approachable precisely because you could pick it up and play it with no time invested.

He's worried that things won't end with pure achievements. In TF2, you HAVE to get achievements to unlock key weapons. If they do the same to CSS, suddenly it's not optional window dressing.

CS has been so approachable precisely because you could pick it up and play it with no time invested.

thought no more achievement is needed for TF2...

thought no more achievement is needed for TF2...

Ahh, you can tell I haven't played TF2 in forever. I like the new automatic drop system, now that I read about it.

I remember spending a few hours on a boring unlock server just to get the Backburner. I never want to do that again.

The updates sound like crap. Ruin the classic look.

Mods and server mods already do a good job of all that. There is no need for an official update to add silly things from other games like global stats and revenges, etc.

I always prefered the fan driven stats and funny domination wavs.

I LOVE achievements, they give me a reason to play the game.

You guys are blowing this way out of proportion, go outside.

Huh. I saw the note after a TF2 game, installed the beta, and gave it a whirl. Now granted, I've not played much CS:Source since TF2 came out.... but other than achievements, it really seemed the same. Physics, hit boxes, weapons.... all of it felt 'normal'. Dust, office, etc also seemed a bit dated now.

Not many servers out there.

5 digit steam ID doesn't make you cool: SteamID_29453. I was hoping for an under 10k, but I was about 2 minutes late to the launch :(

Remember all the hate that Steam got from the playerbase back in the days? It was buggy, it ruined the game, it was this it was that. NOW, everyone pretty well loves Steam.

i forgot what my old id was, something in the 6 digit realm I believe. A guy I played with at the time got a 4 digit (bastard)

I recall a few people selling their 5 digit and under ID's on Ebay back in the day, rofl

If there is a server side command to remove the MVP/Round Stats, domination/revenge and the kill cam, I'll be fine with the update.

Here is a video of the beta.

I hope this is going to come with graphical and physics updates, and eventually comes cs3, otherwise whats the point of achievements? I don't care, people know who the good players are within 15 minutes of playing with them, I don't care that I get some cheesy achievement that says I killed someone with a grenade, nor do I want it so I have to unlock stuff to get all the guns. I play CS and CSS because they are pure online FPS'es, where its not about how long you have been playing, but how accurate you are, there is nothing to cover up someones lack of ability.

cheats to have all the achievements and epic player stats starts in 3, 2, 1 ….

I hope this is going to come with graphical and physics updates, and eventually comes cs3, otherwise whats the point of achievements? I don't care, people know who the good players are within 15 minutes of playing with them, I don't care that I get some cheesy achievement that says I killed someone with a grenade, nor do I want it so I have to unlock stuff to get all the guns. I play CS and CSS because they are pure online FPS'es, where its not about how long you have been playing, but how accurate you are, there is nothing to cover up someones lack of ability.

Yup. If it ever loses that feel, it'll go downhill fast. That's why people still love it. I'm guessing they'll never add unlocks to the game because of it, but who knows.

Back