• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Could two 480s work on 850watts?

Aus10

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
1,870
Hello, considering tgaht the 480s are only 300 now and they preform better atleast from this chart i saw

this gpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7526&cm_re=msi_gtx_480-_-14-127-526-_-Product

would this psu power them?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=xfx_black_edition-_-17-207-001-_-Product


entire specs are

Asus P6T
Intel I7 920 D0- at 3.8ghz
2 480s
Western digital caviar black 1tb
Well the stuff in the specs but only difrence would be is that im adding a Xspc rasa rs 240 kit too it too..

Would that work if not what should i look at? Thank you very much
 
Last edited:
Yes, 850w is adequate for those two cards. I'd be saying no if it was anything more though, since you might be pushing it if you tried more. Go for a quality 850w PSU though, not a crappy one. Since you might be pushing it a little bit.
 
That XFX you linked is a great PSU. Don't worry about it.
 
It's a Seasonic PSU. Which are some of the top PSU's on the market. In fact, Corsair's AX series (besides the AX1200) use Seasonic as their OEM.
 
You may be pushing it. I had problems with a Silverstone 1000w. I had to switch to a Corsair 1200w AX1200 in order to be 100% stable.
 
You may be pushing it. I had problems with a Silverstone 1000w. I had to switch to a Corsair 1200w AX1200 in order to be 100% stable.

Probably because your Silverstone 1000w is not a good unit. A good 750 watt power supply like the x750 or AX750 is enough to handle SLI 580's, not to mention a good 850 watt.
 

Care to tell me where I'm wrong then? If it's a bad design, it's a bad unit. If he just happens to get a rotten egg which getting an AX1200 solved, then he also has a bad unit.
 
Care to tell me where I'm wrong then? If it's a bad design, it's a bad unit. If he just happens to get a rotten egg which getting an AX1200 solved, then he also has a bad unit.
You're wrong because none of Silverstone's 1000W PSUs are bad units. I didn't think that required an explanation.
 
You're wrong because none of Silverstone's 1000W PSUs are bad units. I didn't think that required an explanation.

And you obviously didn't look at the second part of my statement. Do I need an explanation for that? Or are you saying that Silverstone 1000 watt power supplies have a 0% failure rate?

Or maybe you need to read up on your grammar. I put two "if" in that statement, I did not at any point say with 100% certainty that a Silverstone 1000 watt power supply model is a bad design.
 
There is a difference between a bad unit and a faulty unit. You said bad, not faulty. That is incorrect. It may have been faulty, but that is not what you said in your original post, and it is not what I was responding to.
 
There is a difference between a bad unit and a faulty unit. You said bad, not faulty. That is incorrect. It may have been faulty, but that is not what you said in your original post, and it is not what I was responding to.

For you, bad and faulty might not be interchangeable. For me and probably lots of other people, it is. And I make a distinction between unit and design; unit is individual, design refers to the entire line.

Also, I am pretty sure "rotten egg" and "being unlucky" is a clear indicator of a unit being faulty, and having nothing to do with the design as a whole. Why would I repeat the same statement twice in a row?

You're just nitpicking at little parts of my statements, are you seriously that obsessed with being right 100% of the time?
 
I'm not nitpicking. You said "your Silverstone is not a good unit. A good 750 watt power supply like the x750 or AX750 is enough to handle SLI 580's, not to mention a good 850 watt." To me, that statement does not imply that the unit is faulty, it implies that the design itself is not good. I made my statement based on that. After you asked me about it, I tried to explain my comment more. If you meant something different, you should have chosen your words better in the first place, rather than criticizing me for pointing out an error in the literal meaning of your post.
 
Or I could have been pointing out that a good 750 watt unit can power two 580's, and therefore his 1000 watt should have had no problems doing so, but since it was not, it's not a good unit. And the 850 watt was in reference to the OP, since he was saying that 850 watts would barely cut it. Would you have rather had me put the two statements in separate lines to clear it up for you?

Additionally, I thought you would have known by my reply what I refer to as a bad unit. Except you continued to focus on that one specific meaning.
 
I'm not nitpicking. You said "your Silverstone is not a good unit. A good 750 watt power supply like the x750 or AX750 is enough to handle SLI 580's, not to mention a good 850 watt." To me, that statement does not imply that the unit is faulty, it implies that the design itself is not good. I made my statement based on that. After you asked me about it, I tried to explain my comment more. If you meant something different, you should have chosen your words better in the first place, rather than criticizing me for pointing out an error in the literal meaning of your post.

your trying to be too technical. relax
 
I noticed Zero is always technial and im not sure as they are talking about two 580s and i was talking about two 480s but im looking at the 560s now as they are even cheaper and perform very close and run cooler :) I dont know if i could get away with the 750watt version but i like the 850 just as extra headrom
 
580's are fairly similar to 480's in terms of power consumption, as are the 570's and 470's, so they are for the most part interchangeable in terms of power usage. 560's use even less power.
 
Really? Awsome

It depends on the particulars of the 850W PSU (the amperage on the 12V line is more important), but yes...

Nvidia recommends a minimum of 42A on the 12V line for one GTX480. What they don't tell you is that this includes the power for the rest of the system too. To be on the safe side and not have customers complaining about it not working, they use the most overvolted overclocked CPU in a power hungry system with lots of hard drives in order to reach that 42A.

The truth is, the most the GTX480 with one 6pin power connectors can draw while still being compliant is 300W (75W from the PCIe slot, + 75W from the 6 pin connector and 150W from the 8pin). This means that the actual draw of one GTX480 in isolation will never exceed 25A (300W/12V) at stock clocks and voltages, and it will probably be lower than this, as there is nothing that says it HAS to max out the connectors.

So, you can see from this calculation, that Nvidias worst case computer (without video card) uses 17A on the 12V line (42-25)

So, to be on the safe side, if you use the same number as Nvidia does you wind up with 67A on the 12V line with two GTX480's. Unless you have a hot and bothered overvolted and overclocked CPU and lots of power hungry hard drives, you probably need a bit less than this.

Since the PSU you linked advertises up to 70A it should be sufficient.
 
Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1037132601 said:
The truth is, the most the GTX480 with two 6pin power connectors can draw while still being compliant is 225W (75W from the PCIe slot, + 75W each from the two 6 pin connectors). This means that the actual draw of one GTX480 in isolation will never exceed 18.75A (225W/12V) at stock clocks and voltages.
GTX 480s have one 6-pin power connector and one 8-pin. They can draw up to 300W per card.
 
Thats what i thought i remebered reading in sli there like 579watts i think it was more then that but i change my mind so much lol but after seeing a compairison the 560s would be better bet
 
Back
Top