Cougar PSU

What Corsair!?.. over some Corsair units yes, over others obviously not.. it's like this, most Cougar units are poor, however their high end units(GX/SX series) are ok but generally not worth the money their selling for.. so, they're only worth buying with massive rebates, otherwise there are better units available at those prices..

given same wattage go with corsiar but my 850w cougar is solid and silent, nice deal too i got it for 135 shipped

I feel with a little research and waiting you can get a better brand at the same price.

saw an antec 900w high current for $130 the other day. pretty solid PSU

LEPA B850-MA $120 - $50 MIR . Some trade offs Enermax NAXM equivalent, warranty length uncertain (different lengths from different sources). The ANTEC is better than the Lepa, Lepa arguably better than the Cougar.

Last edited:
Umm I had this same debate not more than a couple weeks ago, I ended up buying the Cougar sx-700 for 100$ shipped with a 20 dollar rebate, but yeah it blew up the 2nd day in my computer. I am currently waiting for the rma..... idk looks pretty though, and solidly built idk

Umm I had this same debate not more than a couple weeks ago, I ended up buying the Cougar sx-700 for 100$ shipped with a 20 dollar rebate, but yeah it blew up the 2nd day in my computer. I am currently waiting for the rma..... idk looks pretty though, and solidly built idk

iirc you had this discussion with me ;)
Fact is, this units get shipped half way around the globe, get loaded and unloaded more than few times and DOA or damaged/affected units are unavoidable, it's not a question of manufacturer here, they all suffer from this..

As stated previously, SX/GX are good units, pricing is their problem.. heavily discounted, they make hard to pass deals..
RM_Bulldog said:
given same wattage go with Corsair
^Statements like this are to be ignored.. aside from the AX line, i can't think of anything else I'd pick from Corsair over SX/GX at similar output&prices..

^Statements like this are to be ignored.. aside from the AX line, i can't think of anything else I'd pick from Corsair over SX/GX at similar output&prices..
There are other factors involved when buying a PSU other than performance: Warranty and level of customer support.

While yes some of the Cougar PSUs are of pretty decent quality, Cougar doesn't offer PSUs with warranties longer than three years. Many of Corsair's PSUs have 5 year or even 7 year warranties. To many people that extra 2-4 years of warranty is well worth any small difference in performance and small costs increases.

In addition, there's also the level of customer support that Corsair offers. Many people here in this forums has had good experiences with Corsair's customer support. Not to mention that there is a Corsair rep on this forum that chimes in on time to time as well as help people who have had issues with Corsair products. So while yes Cougar PSUs are sometimes cheaper and of decent enough quality as Corsair, if not better sometimes, the longer warranties and good customer support is well worth the extra cash.

There are other factors involved when buying a PSU other than performance: Warranty and level of customer support.

While yes some of the Cougar PSUs are of pretty decent quality, Cougar doesn't offer PSUs with warranties longer than three years. Many of Corsair's PSUs have 5 year or even 7 year warranties. To many people that extra 2-4 years of warranty is well worth any small difference in performance and small costs increases.

In addition, there's also the level of customer support that Corsair offers. Many people here in this forums has had good experiences with Corsair's customer support. Not to mention that there is a Corsair rep on this forum that chimes in on time to time as well as help people who have had issues with Corsair products. So while yes Cougar PSUs are sometimes cheaper and of decent enough quality as Corsair, if not better sometimes, the longer warranties and good customer support is well worth the extra cash.

Nothing to say against Corsair's after sales support and service, hands down one of the best.. but keep in mind that's pretty much an NA only thing.. in Europe it's a pain to do a direct RMA, avoiding the distribution and retail chain..

Either way i'm not a Cougar advocate, on the contrary, they have an outrageous pricing policy and out of principle alone you should never pay list price for a Cougar PSU.. not even gonna talk about the piss poor 2 average units from their other series that follow the same overpricing policy.. Still, SX/GX are good units and when properly discounted they make good deals.

ps. GX line comes with 5 year warranty ;)

Nothing to say against the Corsair's after sales support and service, hands down one of the best.. but keep in mind that's pretty much an NA only thing.. in Europe it's a pain to do a direct RMA, avoiding the distribution and retail chain..
Understood. Most of the people who frequent this forums are from the U.S so I've rarely heard of the European support issues.

ps. GX line comes with 5 year warranty ;)
So they do :)

Everything Corsair sells is equal or better than competing Cougar units except perhaps when efficiency is considered.

Everything Corsair sells is equal or better than competing Cougar units except perhaps when efficiency is considered.

^the key word, when priced below AX and HX they're hard to pass, the GX/SX units i mean.. the rest of the Cougar lineup is of no interest or relevance to me..

I wouldn't take a TXv2 over either.. as for the TXM i don't know, we'll see how they behave, probably in line with the Toughpower XT x75 units, if they are as suspected, DSG Bronze.

Nothing to say against Corsair's after sales support and service, hands down one of the best.. but keep in mind that's pretty much an NA only thing.. in Europe it's a pain to do a direct RMA, avoiding the distribution and retail chain..

UK reader here and i have used corsair's RMA process twice now, once for PSU and once for RAM. No problems at all apart from high postage costs, filled out the form on their site, got my RMA number, mailed the stuff and within 2 weeks got my replacement PSU - all the way from california and got an upgrade from my 950tx to a 1000hx in the process

Would i pay the extra, YES, especially for support like that

Have had no prblems returning leadtek gear to taiwan either

UK reader here and i have used corsair's RMA process twice now, once for PSU and once for RAM. No problems at all apart from high postage costs, filled out the form on their site, got my RMA number, mailed the stuff and within 2 weeks got my replacement PSU - all the way from california and got an upgrade from my 950tx to a 1000hx in the process

Would i pay the extra, YES, especially for support like that

Have had no prblems returning leadtek gear to taiwan either

You're a lucky dude.. had problems with OCZ and EVGA and i know of similar problems with Corsair(PSUs and SSDs).. the only RMA that went pretty much flawless for me was with a Powercolor HD 6950 :)

Back