Couch gaming

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
I want to use my 10 keyless and gaming mouse on muh couch when gaming on my big 4k TV.

Who here has a lapboard they've bought or made that they like?

I don't have anything to comfortably use a keyboard and mouse on my couch but many games are controller friendly enough that I just chill with a controller when I feel like playing on my TV. I just got a 4K 65" a few weeks ago and so far Forza Horizon 4 has been a blast on it.

I've been a couch gamer for 12 years now.

I use a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Table-Mate-Folding-Tray-Black/dp/B005DJ25H4/?th=1
If you don't feel like ordering from Amazon, Bed, Bath, & Beyond carries 'em.

I have my keyboard on one and my mouse on the other w/ a large-format mousepad. I like this one, personally: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WY1BUSO/

As time has passed I mostly use a gamepad for everything, but some games like the new Doom or arena shooters still need twitchy accuracy that only comes from a mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really prefer a keyboard and mouse for games that support it.

Thanks for the links.

Those are kind of tempting actually.. Thanks for the links.
I just need to look up a good wireless keyboard and mouse combination.

Those are kind of tempting actually.. Thanks for the links.
I just need to look up a good wireless keyboard and mouse combination.

I'm using a Logitech G700S mouse and recently got a "Wave" Keyboard, but literally any 'ol Logitech cheapo keyboard will work fine. For mice, the G700 is basically dead tech, but there are plenty of other models that work fine. The Lightspeed models are probably the best, but the design and layouts are very vanilla for my tastes.

I mean...I'm not that bad, but you'd think they would know their target audience better than that. ;)

It does look a bit narrow, I think even for me and I'm a bean pole. I think its possible made for children.

What OP could do is go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase some lumber to make their own. They sell pre finished wood pieces used for shelving that would probably work pretty good.

It does look a bit narrow, I think even for me and I'm a bean pole. I think its possible made for children.

What OP could do is go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase some lumber to make their own. They sell pre finished wood pieces used for shelving that would probably work pretty good.

Indeed.

A friend suggested 12” x 20” mdf and attach a mouse pad with double sided tape.

I think I’ll be going with this.

Indeed.

A friend suggested 12” x 20” mdf and attach a mouse pad with double sided tape.

I think I’ll be going with this.

For a few $$ more get something that has melamine on both sides (for a better, longer lasting finish). Then band it with iron on banding for 5/8's wood!!!

For a few $$ more get something that has melamine on both sides (for a better, longer lasting finish). Then band it with iron on banding for 5/8's wood!!!

Sounds Steam Punk!

I’d have to redo my whole office :p

I'm not really great with DIY, but you could probably mod a pair of these together or make something like this yourself:

LapDesk-BeanBag.jpg

Piece of 1/4 inch board with Corsair K63 and a Logitech G703.20181231_170224.jpg
Both the K63 and G703 are wireless/wired.
Keyboard attached with adhesive velcro and the mousepad is clipped on with those small, black, metal paper clips with the levers removed.
Super fancy.

Piece of 1/4 inch board with Corsair K63 and a Logitech G703.View attachment 131858
Both the K63 and G703 are wireless/wired.
Keyboard attached with adhesive velcro and the mousepad is clipped on with those small, black, metal paper clips with the levers removed.
Super fancy.

Just how much bandwidth does your mouse need? that's 3 antennas and there's no room for your fingers. weird

Been couch gaming for over 10 years and found it really simple if the mouse is good enough.
Use a large feather cushion to your side and bridge the keyboard from your leg onto that and also use the cushion as the mouse pad. That is how I am typing this.
Alternatively put the keyboard on your lap and use the sofa seat as the mousepad, use a feather cushion to rest/angle your arm, letting your wrist+hand hang over the top of the mouse for high comfort.
Either solution works well for me. Get a few big feather cushions to cope with any seating position and you are golden.

The best mouse for tracking on a sofa I have found is the Logitech G502 Hero.
My keyboard has a USB extension to make it reach easily.
No wireless here, it works great.

Just how much bandwidth does your mouse need? that's 3 antennas and there's no room for your fingers. weird

Just in case you are serious...those are the antennas of my router that happened to line up with the picture. The mouse is normal, but my hands are also probably small.

Just in case you are serious...those are the antennas of my router that happened to line up with the picture. The mouse is normal, but my hands are also probably small.

I am 40% Sirius. Is that a G403?

I don't do anything special.

I use a full-sized keyboard on my lap, and a thick cloth (from the 1980s) mousepad laying across the couch cushion.

It's good enough for Borderlands, and my replays through Half-Life and Portal series.

I don't play online games on my HTPC.

I tried a media PC keyboard like the K400, but the keys are too fucking close together.

Last edited:
I use a Kensis Advantage Pro on my lap. No lapboard. A coffee table on the side for my mouse. This works out great.
Gaming in my Home Theater @100"

The Corsair K63 obviously but I'm guessing you don't want to buy another keyboard. $130 for keyboard and lap board on Amazon.

Back