• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair - You've got a problem

Let me get this straight. You bought a refurb PSU on sale for 1/3 the cost of a new one. And, you were surprised it was DOA ?

I think the saying goes, " if something is too good to be true, then it probably is".

Admittedly, it is really annoying that Newegg does this refurb BS at all. I've tried a couple of refurbished items and they were all non-functional.
 
Bought my refurb 1050 direct from Corsair. Been over a year & a half now. No problems & it only cost me $125.
Shit happens, even to brand new components.
 
Bought my refurb 1050 direct from Corsair. Been over a year & a half now. No problems & it only cost me $125.
Shit happens, even to brand new components.

For that price, that is a very good deal. Glad to hear that there are no issues ever since you've owned it :)
 
Admittedly, it is really annoying that Newegg does this refurb BS at all. I've tried a couple of refurbished items and they were all non-functional.

I've done a couple refurbs from the egg, no issues here.. I'd never do a refurb PSU though.
 
So one guy buys a refurbished PSU from Corsair and it has a problem, so the entire company should just close it's doors?

Holy shit, the rep made good on the problem the same day the guy posted his wall of rant.

In my opinion, anybody can lay an egg......it's the service that is the key. It's the reason I always buy Corsair if there is choice.

Corsair could just as easily say...you bought a refurb, tough shit.

Also refurb and functional do not belong in the same sentence.......same reason you never buy a used car.
 
Also refurb and functional do not belong in the same sentence.......same reason you never buy a used car.

It depends on who's doing the refurbishing. If the techs know their business, refurbs can be indistinguishable from new. Or even better than new, if the refurb techs are better than the guys at the factory.

Personally, I prefer to only run PSUs I've had apart and inspected for myself. Mostly because I have 26 years in electronics under my belt, and have found and fixed little issues I didn't like in stuff that came out of even Seasonic's factory. A warranty is actually worth less to me than actually seeing for myself how well the unit's put together. Reviewing PSUs gives me a great excuse to cherry pick units for my own rigs I know are going to hold up over time :D

Then again, that's just me. Hard telling the level of experience going into refurbing PSUs. I haven't had a refurbed one from Corsair to know.
 
Last edited:
I've done a couple refurbs from the egg, no issues here.. I'd never do a refurb PSU though.

It could have just been a string of bad luck on my part. I got two bad video cards and a dead monitor and gave up.
 
It depends on who's doing the refurbishing. If the techs know their business, refurbs can be indistinguishable from new. Or even better than new, if the refurb techs are better than the guys at the factory.

Personally, I prefer to only run PSUs I've had apart and inspected for myself. Mostly because I have 26 years in electronics under my belt, and have found and fixed little issues I didn't like in stuff that came out of even Seasonic's factory. A warranty is actually worth less to me than actually seeing for myself how well the unit's put together. Reviewing PSUs gives me a great excuse to cherry pick units for my own rigs I know are going to hold up over time :D

Then again, that's just me. Hard telling the level of experience going into refurbing PSUs. I haven't had a refurbed one from Corsair to know.

I respect what you're saying.....
but, since I don't have the experience or the tools to do all that, I would not buy the most critical component of my computer used or refurbished.:D
 
Understandable - refurbs aren't for everyone ;)

I take my refurbed stuff apart, too. In fact, I consider it more critical to do it on a refurb than a new unit. Bought a refurb Optoma DLP projector in 2010. Had it apart twice for dusting and inspection - their techs know what they're doing. The projector did fine right up until the lamp died of old age. I might buy another one of theirs... they put brand new lamps in their refurbs :D
 
My 2004 Honda (bought used in 2013) is still going strong--it depends on who did the refurbishing (if any) and how the previous owner took care of it (and why it was returned). fwiw, I also have 4x4GB sticks of used kingston ram and a Gigabyte Motherboard from Amazon (Warehouse Deals) which is working nearly flawlessly (one stick of ram has issues in about the same sector of Memtest86 depending on voltage/clock/timing, but that may be a bug in memtest itself. Otherwise, completely stable).

I'm not sure what brand I'd go with if I bought a new PSU; thought I got a deal with the one I got recently (not a Corsair), but after receiving it the build quality didn't look so great. That said, it seems to be performing alright so far. I'd be wary of buying any used/refurbished PSU, especially a budget model. Can't speak for Corsair's quality first-hand, though.
 
You bought a refurb entry level PSU that received terrible reviews and are surprised that it sucked?

Not sure what the point is here. People actually buy refurb PSUs? Am i the only one that sees that as extremely foolish?

Count me in the "I think buying refurb PSU's is foolish" crowd.
 
I wouldn't recommend buying anything "refurbished" from Newegg. Their version of "refurbished" seems to mean used, beaten up and non-functional. I've bought some "refurbished" stuff from them that wouldn't even qualify as "used" on eBay. "refurbished" is supposed to mean reconditioned and tested, not used and badly beaten.
 
I've bought three refurbished PSUs and a refurbished laptop from Newegg, worst purchases I've ever made.
 
Back
Top