• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair Value Select...any negatives?

corsair is good ram, u should not have any issues with it if u dont oc, this ram should serve u well
 
Value ram is a very cheap memory, I'd say no..... If your looking at cheap fast ram that you don't want to overclock, look at the Muhskin Enhanced memory. It's 1 or 2 more bucks then the value stuff, but more reliable.
 
just because it says value select, does not mean it's cheaply made ram. corsair value select is ram that is meant to run exactly at the speeds it lists; there is little chance of overclocking higher than that speed, compared to corsair's more high end ram. if you don't plan to overclock, it's good to go for it.
 
actually I had the corsair value selects. I could get to around 220 without probs.
 
yea so in other words, value select is good enough for you if u don't plan to OC but there's a chance if you change your mind you could.

I'm sure the mushkin enhanced is also very good.

Also, corsair has no "very cheap" ram. corsair is rockstar cool
 
What kind of CPU do you have? For an A64/FX I might consider going for the low latency stuff even at stock clocks, my understanding is that AMD systems seem to gain more overall performance from lower latency RAM than Intel systems do. Still, the advantage of the high-end PC3200 would be pretty small in real terms; the basic Corsair value stuff would be fine.
 
I've got that exact ram in my comp. It'll overclock to 220fsb w/ stock voltage and timings, I havent tried it at any other timings or voltages.... it's for sale too...
 
I've had 0 problems w/ it. I've had it at 220fsb for over a month folding 24/7 and i play doom3 on it all the time w/ no problems at all.
 
What aout Kingston value! its 5 bucks more, and it has looser timings than corsair :D
 
If you are thinking more about price I would easily reccomend the value select. You will get excellent, stable as mineral oil RAM for a great price. I have never had issues with value-select, and as stated, it can and will OC some. Also, the timings can be lightly nudged, depending on your MB. At least I have usually been able to squeeze some extra sauce out of it.

edit: That RAM looks awesome but I have no experience with PDP.
 
i have the PDP, and have had it running 2.5-3-3-8 at 230mhz on a athlon64. I haven't tried to push it to the limits tho. Its def worth it.
 
coool this is the ram i have just recently ordered, thank guys for ur feedbacks about it.. sfae
 
I've had problems with Corsair Value select on Intel i865/i875 motherboards. But I hear that it's ok for AMD based systems.
 
dunno why some of you are dissing the Corsair ValueRam, mine can run with 2-3-3-5 timings at 200mhz to 210mhz, and with 2.5-3-3-6 up to 237mhz ( 237mhz is most likely limited by my shuttle an35-u chipset) all this at stock voltage, not too shabby for 2x512 for 120$ AR
 
bobmanfoo said:
dunno why some of you are dissing the Corsair ValueRam, mine can run with 2-3-3-5 timings at 200mhz to 210mhz, and with 2.5-3-3-6 up to 237mhz ( 237mhz is most likely limited by my shuttle an35-u chipset) all this at stock voltages.....

Yes but you are in the minority, the Value Select ram isn't rated to do those speeds, and if you can get faster speeds for a few more dollars, why not?

When I got my 2x512 PDP Systems ram it was $155 or so, a few dollars cheaper than the value select and it is a lot faster. The price has since gone up but it is a helluva lot cheaper than comparible memory from Corsair if you want decent timings without luck-of-the-draw ocing.

You are guaranteed to run @ 2-3-2-5-1T for $179, compare that to the 2-2-2-5-1T ram from Corsair, $255-275, just crazy how expensive it is, and some users on newegg are reporting hitting 2-2-2-5-1T on the PDP.

When something is cheaper and faster it just makes more sense to use it. I picked the PDP memory because while searching for good timing memory on newegg the PDP had by far the best price/performace ratio, much better than value select.

On a related note I find it funny that some people will STILL purchase the value select even knowing there is faster better stuff. I mean what is the worst that will happen, You get a bad chip? Wow, it happens, RMA. People never have to RMA corsair? People automatically have to RMA more with non-corsair brands?

I dunno, people can do what they want with their money, I just don't see the point of wasting any.
 
The problem with value select is that you never know what you are getting. Someone that got Samsung value select will tell you it's great RAM, then you order it and get Spectek cr*p. (I have both) Corsair just rebadges other manufacturers RAM and sells it at a premium. If you want real Corsair get XMS.
 
uhh?? what kind of problems?? xms r too expensive and for a lil speed increae and fancy LED,S??? aint worth it unless u have da money 2 buy
 
Svperstar said:
On a related note I find it funny that some people will STILL purchase the value select even knowing there is faster better stuff. I mean what is the worst that will happen, You get a bad chip? Wow, it happens, RMA. People never have to RMA corsair? People automatically have to RMA more with non-corsair brands?

I dunno, people can do what they want with their money, I just don't see the point of wasting any.

See you dont get it some people dont feel like or can afford to speend $250 on ram especially when they see gig for $150. More over I have yet to see a review of ram that the reviewer doesnt try to oc and take that into affect on judging it. So its almost impossible with many of these sites now to just find a flat out review of ram at stock settings to make a comparison to see if XMS or whatever is better than value if the user is not oc'ing. Not everyone is trying to oc ram which many of these new reviews are not taking into consideration,
 
yea man exactly what he said..... i myself r one of those that do not plan 2 overclock my ram...
 
Svperstar said:
Yes but you are in the minority, the Value Select ram isn't rated to do those speeds, and if you can get faster speeds for a few more dollars, why not?

When I got my 2x512 PDP Systems ram it was $155 or so, a few dollars cheaper than the value select and it is a lot faster. The price has since gone up but it is a helluva lot cheaper than comparible memory from Corsair if you want decent timings without luck-of-the-draw ocing.

You are guaranteed to run @ 2-3-2-5-1T for $179, compare that to the 2-2-2-5-1T ram from Corsair, $255-275, just crazy how expensive it is, and some users on newegg are reporting hitting 2-2-2-5-1T on the PDP.

When something is cheaper and faster it just makes more sense to use it. I picked the PDP memory because while searching for good timing memory on newegg the PDP had by far the best price/performace ratio, much better than value select.

On a related note I find it funny that some people will STILL purchase the value select even knowing there is faster better stuff. I mean what is the worst that will happen, You get a bad chip? Wow, it happens, RMA. People never have to RMA corsair? People automatically have to RMA more with non-corsair brands?

I dunno, people can do what they want with their money, I just don't see the point of wasting any.

what are you rambling about? i spent 120$ for my gig of corsair vr during a christmas deal, so whats wrong with that? don't go ramming stuff down peoples throat just cause its what u use. corsair is a very reputable company that has been around for years. some people don't mind spending a little more for products from well known companies because they have the luxury and means to do so, even if just for peace of mind. from my past experiences and the countless number of pc's i've built and pc parts i've gone through, most of the problems/failures i ran into are from the cheaper no name stuff.
 
LiquidX said:
See you dont get it some people dont feel like or can afford to speend $250 on ram especially when they see gig for $150

Thats not what I meant, I said wasting money is a bad thing, I mean if people find ram with better timings than the value select for either the same price(like I did) or $20 more(as it stands now) there is no reason. I understand picking the Value Select over XMS, I would do the same. I just don't understand picking the Value Select over the PDP.....which I thought I made very clear in my post.
 
Svperstar said:
Thats not what I meant, I said wasting money is a bad thing, I mean if people find ram with better timings than the value select for either the same price(like I did) or $20 more(as it stands now) there is no reason. I understand picking the Value Select over XMS, I would do the same. I just don't understand picking the Value Select over the PDP.....which I thought I made very clear in my post.
thats the same as wondering why people would choose by BMW M5's, Porches, and higher priced cars when they could get a Chevy Corvette for a little cheaper....
 
bobmanfoo said:
thats the same as wondering why people would choose by BMW M5's, Porches, and higher priced cars when they could get a Chevy Corvette for a little cheaper....

Huh? How is getting Value Select over PDP like getting a porche? Something with "value" in the name doesn't impress anyone or have social status like an expensive sports car. :confused:

Also LiquidX if you aren't overclocking the PDP makes more sense because it has faster timings at stock speeds.

Maybe I am still not being clear. I told a friend of mine about the PDP when I bought mine and it was still $155 dollars, he said "Hmmm, think I will still get the Value Select" and he paid like 4 more dollars then me.

Now I have faster memory at stock then he does, and I can hit higher FSB and I paid nearly the same thing, actually slightly less money. This makes no sense to me. Sure it might sound cool to say "I have Corsair XMS LL XL Platinum" but saying "I have Value Select"? Is that really worth it for slower memory at nearly the same price?

Doesn't make sense.

Now the picture has changed a bit and the PDP is 20 more dollars, still, I think it makes sense to pay $20 more to get XMS performance without the XMS price.
 
Svperstar said:
Huh? How is getting Value Select over PDP like getting a porche? Something with "value" in the name doesn't impress anyone or have social status like an expensive sports car. :confused:

Also LiquidX if you aren't overclocking the PDP makes more sense because it has faster timings at stock speeds.

Maybe I am still not being clear. I told a friend of mine about the PDP when I bought mine and it was still $155 dollars, he said "Hmmm, think I will still get the Value Select" and he paid like 4 more dollars then me.

Now I have faster memory at stock then he does, and I can hit higher FSB and I paid nearly the same thing, actually slightly less money. This makes no sense to me. Sure it might sound cool to say "I have Corsair XMS LL XL Platinum" but saying "I have Value Select"? Is that really worth it for slower memory at nearly the same price?

Doesn't make sense.

Now the picture has changed a bit and the PDP is 20 more dollars, still, I think it makes sense to pay $20 more to get XMS performance without the XMS price.
yes the pdp has faster stock timings, but some people don't like no name brands and don't mind spending a little more for peace of mind. and so what if it has faster timings? do you have benches to show that the ram is faster at the same timings? that the memory is more efficient? that it is yields a greater bandwidth? there are many more factors to performance than just paper numbers. just like cars can have whatever rated hp, but the only thing that matters is what it can do on road. i see u use that frame of thought for all of your components, like ur monitor. u must think that ur monitor can hang with the best crts out there right? because you post it as .21mm dot pitch, but that is horizontal dot pitch, which only lower end companies use as a marketing ploy, horizontal dot pitch does not give an accurate representation of the monitor. whats ur actual dot pitch? .25, .26mm? shadowmask screens can't hang with aperture grills, especially ones with a true .22 dot pitch
 
bobmanfoo said:
yes the pdp has faster stock timings, but some people don't like no name brands and don't mind spending a little more for peace of mind.

Just look at user reviews on newegg.com, that is good for "peace of mind". In the off chance something fails, you return it. Corsair never has to RMA ever? PDP always does?

bobmanfoo said:
and so what if it has faster timings? do you have benches to show that the ram is faster at the same timings? that the memory is more efficient? that it is yields a greater bandwidth? there are many more factors to performance than just paper numbers. just like cars can have whatever rated hp, but the only thing that matters is what it can do on road1.

Wow, you are right dude, memory with higher latency can be faster than LL memory @ the same FSB :rolleyes: . I have run many benches on my comp since I put it together in September and it is fast memory.

Read some reviews, do you see any cases where memory with slower timings is faster at the same FSB?

Show me an example.

bobmanfoo said:
i see u use that frame of thought for all of your components, like ur monitor.

Oh wow, what does my monitor have to do with anything? If you must know I got my monitor through my job, my university dumped all of their CRT monitors for LCDs reguardless of working condition. So I got a $440 monitor for _$5_. Its pretty nice, not as nice as some I have seen but still it looks pretty good.

Still the above has nothing to do with memory. Whats next, you going to ask me what kind of case I have then tell me it sucks? How about my motherboard?

None of that has anything to do with the topic at hand you obviously have some kind of complex when it comes to your memory. So fine, whatever, your Value Select owns all because it is Corsair it is magically faster then everything else. Feel better?
 
I have Corsair Value Select running problem free in the following systems I've built:

Main rig (see sig)

Barton 2500+ @ 3200+
Asus A7N8X
512MB x2 Dual Channel

AthlonXP 1700+
Chaintech nforce2
256MB x2 Dual Channel

AthlonXP 2000+
Biostar nforce2
512MB

Athlon 2400+
Asus A7V600
512MB

Barton 2600+
Asus A7V600
512MB

It's the only ram I buy any more for myself or my business. Great stuff...
 
I just purchased a gig of corsair value, will recieve it tomorrow. Thats one of the main reasons I bought mine. Peace of mind. I don't know PDP, never heard of em. Far as I'm concerned they're a nobody.

I'm not a computer nub or anything, but I'm not going to turn down corsair just to get a tiny increase in timings. Especially considering I don't overclock.

Frankly I don't care if people think having Value Select is "cool" or not, I'm past high school now. Those days are gone. Who gives a damn?
 
"PDP is a nobody" - that's the equivalent of brand loyalty/recognition, which is not a bad thing.

However, PDP XBL (which is gone for some strange reason) used Samsung TCCD -- yes, the same EXACT chips used by Corsair in their XL 2-2-2-5 chips. The PDP 1Gig set was nearly $50 cheaper. .
 
i can run my value ram totally stable at 225 stock volts. Its good stuff.
 
Borealis said:
I just purchased a gig of corsair value, will recieve it tomorrow. Thats one of the main reasons I bought mine. Peace of mind. I don't know PDP, never heard of em. Far as I'm concerned they're a nobody.

A nobody? Read the reviews on newegg, The ram has high ratings in reviews with only a couple flukes.

What are you afraid of happening? Memory won't work? If pdp was junk you think newegg would have a ton of complains from angry users. What makes you think the RMA rate on PDP is higher than Corsair?

If you wait for the community to tell you its ok to buy something you will always be one step behind.

Like I said earlier in the thread, its your money, and buying value ram you are getting slow memory with a name on it, could get a lot faster for nearly the same money.
 
I also phoned my mobo manufacturer about whats best for/compatible with my mobo, they recommended either corsair, mushkin or kingston. Off the bat I'm more apt to listen to what they say about it. No offense, thats just how it is for me though.

Maybe sometime down the road I'll look into PDP, but for now it's corsair for me.
 
Svperstar said:
Like I said earlier in the thread, its your money, and buying value ram you are getting slow memory with a name on it, could get a lot faster for nearly the same money.

Sorta O/T but how high does your ram overclock?
 
Back
Top