Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speaker System Review @ [H]

RE: the connectors. Looks like the crossover is in the sub box and they're bi-amping the satellites. Which is kinda neat.

Nice review. I like subjective reviews because numbers don't cut it alone. Plus it's the [H]. Better than some audiophile snob telling me I need 100% pure copper wrapped around Tibetan pebbles mounted on platinum spikes for the optimal natural sound experience, for only $56000.

Also, the nerd rage from the Klipsch fanboys is amusing.

lol nobody is that bad here. try patrick over at head fi. cocunut audio or something. Dude was claiming coconuts made awesome tweaks. Something like that I need to look again.

Dylan,

It's harder for companies to see through all the people commenting about products but I'd like to say THANK YOU to you and your team for making quality audio products. Now you guys need to announce a sound card that can take out the big players! Keep up the great work!

Z5500 unbeaten in 6 years plain and simple , spend your money on something great this time skip corsair

The Z-5500 however were made during the times of of Promedia 5.1 and the Gigaworks S750. These two are truly something special...

I agree about having nearfield speakers with dedicated amp... anyways, going back to the Corsair. I really would like a chance to hear'em out like with anything audio before arriving upon a verdict. Any plan to have demo. in Vancouver BC at all?

The Z-5500 however were made during the times of of Promedia 5.1 and the Gigaworks S750. These two are truly something special...

I agree about having nearfield speakers with dedicated amp... anyways, going back to the Corsair. I really would like a chance to hear'em out like with anything audio before arriving upon a verdict. Any plan to have demo. in Vancouver BC at all?

agreed logitech got lucky buying that company out helping there tech , but like you say i haven't heard so Id like to here the corsairs but to beat the z5500S would take alot . . . besides sound quality . . it would also take take muscle power without alot of distortion . . .

I had a freind take out his second pair in a party in the middle of a park hooked to a ipod sounded like there where concert speakers :p

Could be another beast from Corsair. [H] almost sounds biased when it comes to Corsair but I know I would too. A customer ordered Corsair's HS1 about 3 weeks ago, I was given the chance to testdrive it a bit, it was great!

Any chance these will be sold at brick and mortar stores like BestBuy? I've been looking for an upgrade from my Swan M200s for a while, and these look perfect, but if they don't work out I'd like to be able to easily return them.

Any chance these will be sold at brick and mortar stores like BestBuy? I've been looking for an upgrade from my Swan M200s for a while, and these look perfect, but if they don't work out I'd like to be able to easily return them.

They should be available in a couple of weeks at the latest at B&M stores.

But if you order from an online store, you will not pay sales tax in some states.

just saying........

don't flame me but i wonder how these would compare to the logitech z-cinemas. i paid 100 bucks for them and they're by far the best pc speaker system i've ever owned or heard. the corsair system obviously has more power and a larger sub so it's not a fair comparison necessarily, however, this review is saying the exact same things i said about my z-cinemas when i first heard them.

i was extremely disappointed to find out they were discontinued and that's why they were on sale for 100 bucks. at least now i've got a viable solution if my z-cinemas ever die. i'm glad corsair has released this product as there are VERY few options for quality 2.1 systems.

don't flame me but i wonder how these would compare to the logitech z-cinemas. i paid 100 bucks for them and they're by far the best pc speaker system i've ever owned or heard. the corsair system obviously has more power and a larger sub so it's not a fair comparison necessarily, however, this review is saying the exact same things i said about my z-cinemas when i first heard them.

i was extremely disappointed to find out they were discontinued and that's why they were on sale for 100 bucks. at least now i've got a viable solution if my z-cinemas ever die. i'm glad corsair has released this product as there are VERY few options for quality 2.1 systems.

I used a set of Z-2300s for years, and replaced them with SP2500s. The difference is amazing. Stereo separation and bass clarity is night and day.

I used a set of Z-2300s for years, and replaced them with SP2500s. The difference is amazing. Stereo separation and bass clarity is night and day.

z-cinemas are VERY different from z-2300s from what i've read so i definitely believe the corsair is superior.

i actually have no idea why logitech discontinued the z-cinemas. anyone know? i'm thinking maybe they were too expensive to make and weren't selling enough. i'm guessing this because logitech didn't replace them with anything afaik. they just kept on making the z-2300s.

oh ya, for all you guys loving the z-5500s, yea the bass is awesome but i never found the mids/highs to be all that great. not a lot of separation in the sound. a couple buddies have them and i've watched movies with them and i gotta say i was never that impressed.

That's understandable -- we just launched our speaker line on January 5th!

Dylan, first of all it is great to have you at HardForum. Very rarely do a company person-ell like you participate in a thread related to one of their products and provide solutions.

I also heartily congratulate you and your company for making a serious effort in the PC audio segment with the SP2500.

Though my personal opinion is that Logitech Z-623 is still the best 2.1 PC speaker under $250 in terms of audio quality, but then again subjective listening vary from person to person. Also SP2500 have many features like DSP that Z-623 lacks, but on the other hand they cost a good $120 cheaper than your set too (amazon.com).

In the end it all depends on the "listeners ears" and what they think of your product.

Last edited:
z-cinemas are VERY different from z-2300s from what i've read so i definitely believe the corsair is superior.

i actually have no idea why logitech discontinued the z-cinemas. anyone know? i'm thinking maybe they were too expensive to make and weren't selling enough. i'm guessing this because logitech didn't replace them with anything afaik. they just kept on making the z-2300s.

oh ya, for all you guys loving the z-5500s, yea the bass is awesome but i never found the mids/highs to be all that great. not a lot of separation in the sound. a couple buddies have them and i've watched movies with them and i gotta say i was never that impressed.
I'm with you on the z-5500. Muddiest sound I have ever heard, no definition at all but I guess if loud bass is all they want then the z-5500 delivers.

Are those mounts for a full speaker grill on the front of the satellites? If so why aren't any included?

I know they already have the hard metal grills but I'm sure, like myself, some other people like full grills so the speakers blend in a little more.

I'm done with purpose built pc speakers. I have the Pro Media 5.1's (almost 15 years old, on wife's pc). On my rig, I use a Sony 60 watt receiver (literally 20 years old now) and run that to 2 Cerwin Vega! and 2 Polk Audio bookshelf speakers. Plenty loud for me. Only drawback is no 5.1 surround. I paid $250 for the Klipsch that long ago. Never again.

I know these are premium speakers and all, but really $250+ is a bit steep for a 2.1, for me anyway. I hope they release a more mainstream version in the near future.

I spent $650 (AUD) on the Audioengine A2's and S8 sub.

Damn you, Earl and Kyle! :p

It seems like almost each day I browse to [H]ardocp, you guys have come up with yet another awesome piece I want to add to my pc-build! I have a family to support, how is this money speeding spree suppose to be able to continue, arg?! :p

Seriously, I'm eyeballing the Corsair HS-1 headset instead. No more meat on the table for the next month, kids!

For that money for a 2.1 setup, i would get a Creative Gigaworks T40 pair of spkrs and pair it up with a subwoofer of my choice. But anyways, i doubt these Corsair spkrs will be selling at their MSRP price for long. Eventually, the set will dip below $200 i would imagine.

Very interesting.

I don't exactly spend much on speakers, but in the past I've been a fan of Edifier, currently am happy with my S330. Though their lineup are pretty boring these days

Glad Corsair is bringing something new to that price range. Sounds like a very good deal for its price :eek:

Great work on this review Kyle and Earl. Thank you for reviewing this product!

For those people trying to compare 4.1/5.1 Promedia and Logitech solutions, try to keep in mind that those are $400.00 MSRP while the Corsair is $250.00. The Promedia 2.1 comparisons are very much valued.

Corsair has quite obviously aimed at products like the Razer Mako which occupy the premium 2.1 experience category. I'm very happy to see these released by Corsair and I wish other manufacturers would do more in this segment. Audioengine, Swan and very few others acknowledge this upscale PC audio segment. Good work Corsair, and congrats on your release.

One gripe I do have is the default subwoofer cable length. Six feet isn't even close to enough. Please include 12 feet at a minimum in future releases. Thank you for acknowledging this with the speaker wire accessory for the current gen.

Dylan, first of all it is great to have you at HardForum. Very rarely do a company person-ell like you participate in a thread related to one of their products and provide solutions.

I also heartily congratulate you and your company for making a serious effort in the PC audio segment with the SP2500.

Though my personal opinion is that Logitech Z-623 is still the best 2.1 PC speaker under $250 in terms of audio quality, but then again subjective listening vary from person to person. Also SP2500 have many features like DSP that Z-623 lacks, but on the other hand they cost a good $120 cheaper than your set too (amazon.com).

In the end it all depends on the "listeners ears" and what they think of your product.

Rishi,
As it was said in your other thread, quit trolling. This is a thread about the Corsair SP2500 and you come in here touting your Logitech love again without hearing these speakers in person.

FYI anyone looking at picking these up Newegg is offering FREE SHIPPING!!! WOOT!

Last edited:

Several Canada retailers will be carrying the SP2500 -- Memory Express and Canada Computers come to mind, as well as a retail/etail chain that I'm apparently not allowed to mention here. As a matter of fact, I'm heading up to Vancouver today to talk to the famous Linus of Linus Tech Tips.

Best Buy only changes their selection of products a couple of times a year, so they'd be there after summer at the earliest. However, they'll be at Fry's next week. They are also planned for MicroCenter, but I don't yet know the on-shelf date.

Several Canada retailers will be carrying the SP2500 -- Memory Express and Canada Computers come to mind, as well as a retail/etail chain that I'm apparently not allowed to mention here. As a matter of fact, I'm heading up to Vancouver today to talk to the famous Linus of Linus Tech Tips.

I'll be watching that New Arrivals page at Memory Express to see when these launch. :) I think these would be a good replacement for my M-Audio AV40s

Um, OK, I'm not an audiophile at all (going to ask a friend of mine who is) but what about using these for my downstairs Man Cave, where I have my 55' Samsung LED TV? :D

I have a PS3 there for gaming but I was thinking just for blu ray movies? I game with a headset, not speakers but the wife was asking about surround sound? The room itself is pretty small and my friend thought even just getting Samsungs Center bar ($349?) would greatly improve movies; he thought a complete 5.1 would be overkill. Would this STP business add to the "movie experience"? Will have to get an approx on the room size if that would help

Just curious what you guys think..

To the guy who recommends a stereo receiver and real speakers, I doubt you can get both good sounding bookshelf speakers and a good sub for only $250. I'm curious as to what you would recommend with that kind of budget -- and that's assuming you already have a spare receiver.

When I bought mine I got an Harmon Kardon HKTS-11 5.1 speaker set with sub packaged with a 5.1 HK-AVR receiver from newegg for $300.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-GB/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HKTS 11/230
This was Christmas time 2007. They don't sell them anymore. It blows any packaged computer speaker system that I have had or heard away. I'm not sure what I would buy today, I would need to do the research and look for sales. You will need to make sure the receiver can take analog inputs. This way you can plug all channels from your sound card or motherboard to your receiver using spdif to rca cables. My sound card also has an optical out, which also worked on the receiver. I couldn't tell which one sounded better so I went with analog. Using a receiver and bookshelf speakers may be more attractive to someone who already has this equipment, for instance, if you upgraded your living room system. I won't upgrade my computer audio again until something breaks. Hope this helps.

[...] they'll be at Fry's next week.

I just picked up a set of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 earlier this week from Best Buy; I'll go to Fry's as soon as they have the Corsairs in stock and do a side by side comparison, then return the loser and report back.

I just picked up a set of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 earlier this week from Best Buy; I'll go to Fry's as soon as they have the Corsairs in stock and do a side by side comparison, then return the loser and report back.

Do me a favor and check out the M-AUDIO AV40 while you're at Fry's. I wanna see how the SP2500 satellites stack up against the AV40.

Do me a favor and check out the M-AUDIO AV40 while you're at Fry's. I wanna see how the SP2500 satellites stack up against the AV40.

In what way did you want me to check them out? The listening conditions in the store are terrible and the Fry's location that I go to doesn't even have them out to demo like Best Buy does.

Um, OK, I'm not an audiophile at all (going to ask a friend of mine who is) but what about using these for my downstairs Man Cave, where I have my 55' Samsung LED TV? :D.

The SP2500 is designed to be a great PC speaker system; that is, the dispersion is designed to put you in the sweet spot about 3 - 5 feet away.

If you're sitting farther than that away from your screen, the SP2500 will still certainly fill the room, but you won't get that nice stereo imaging unless you're sitting in a particular spot.

Once Memory Express here in Canada gets the SP2500 in, I'd also be willing to do this. :)

I heard a demo of this set at CES, and agree with the review. I only spent 5 minutes, plus it was loud and noisy all around, however this set still impressed, especially the bass which I am extremely picky about. Clarity is the right word to describe the bass out of this set. I am hoping for a 5.1 version eventually, so hopefully sales will be good and greater achievements will be produced.

Rishi,
As it was said in your other threat, quit trolling. This is a thread about the Corsair SP2500 and you come in here touting your Logitech love again without hearing these speakers in person.

FYI anyone looking at picking these up Newegg is offering FREE SHIPPING!!! WOOT!

Well I have heard this SP2500 babies and they sound great. I think you have not read my other threads carefully.I am amazed as to why anybody cannot express his own opinions. That's strange.

By the way what did meant by "trolling"? Should I take your "thread" as "threat"?

I'll stick with my standard position: speakers cannot be objectively reviewed in terms of sound quality. They can be compared in terms of raw specs as measured with equipment with respect to given frequency response curves but, that just doesn't "work" in terms of actual sound quality.

You know, I have been seeing this opinion get repeated over and over around here and in other random audio reviews at non-"audiophile" sites.

This is just blatantly false, and I am sick of hearing it.

Yes; audio, as well as a user's like of anything that appeals to a sense, is subjective. Everyone has an opinion. But you know what? People tend to be wired similarly; we're all "based on the same model" as it were. This makes review opinions a valid form of product evaluation, especially when taken in aggregate. If a review of a subjectively-colored thing was completely worthless, then there wouldn't be popular restaurants. SURPRISE SURPRISE though; as it turns out, a lot of highly-reviewed restaurants are actually good. Same goes for Beer, Wine, Movies, etc.

So now you may say "But Kett, if that's true why don't I just get my reviews from joe-random on the street if any person's opinion is helpful?"

Glad you asked! See, while some random guy may tell you something is good, you don't know his background in the subject. Lets go back to the food example: Say you're looking for a great cheeseburger, so you decide to ask a couple of people their opinion. The first guy you talk to has only ever eaten fast food burgers; Wendy's, Mcdonalds, Burger king, etc. He tells you "Oh yeah, Best burger in the nation is at Wendy's!" The second guy you talk to has eaten at all the fast food places too, but has ALSO eaten at other places including local joints, fancy restaurants, and known burger landmarks like NY gems Shake Shack and Burger Joint. He tells you "My opinion is Shake Shack has the best burgers." and then goes on to tell you, in detail, why he made the choice he did. He in fact dissects the quality of his meal down to the meltiness of the cheese, how the meat was cooked, what kind of bun was on the burger, the quality of the toppings, and how the sides were, down to the crunchiness of the fries. Now, throwing out all your own pre-conceived notions of fast-food and burger experience, Whose review would you trust? Would you consider both of them worthless because "Taste is an opinion" ? No. Obviously, the second guy has some experience with what both a good and a bad good burger is and given your choice between trusting the first guy, the expert second guy, or just going out to some random fucking restaurant blind, I think the choice is completely obvious.

Also: Just because a topic of review is generally subjective does not mean the reviewer can't make objective evaluations about the topic that downplay their own bias. Lets go with a headphone example this time. Generally, you can separate a sound signature into Highs, Mids, and Lows. Some headphones will be better at certain frequencies than others. As a (Good) reviewer, you can dissect the sound of the headphones into it's component parts, and evaluate each of them on Quality, Quantity, etc. Lets say a reviewer likes a lot of Bass, but is reviewing a headphone like the ATH-AD700 which has a notoriously light low end. A bad reviewer might say "These headphones blows, rap is horrible on these" a good reviewer might say "The highs and mids that this headphone produce are exceptional, and lends it to be an excellent choice for those who enjoy classical and acoustic music. However the low end, while accurate, lacks much of the punch and substance required to bring many genres of electronic music and hip-hop to life." What can you learn from these two reviews? For the first one, not much. You know he doesn't like it, and that he listens to rap. For the second one, you know the general strengths and weaknesses of the headphone. Do your audio needs lend themselves to the reviewed headphone's strengths? Do you trust the audio reviewers headphone experience enough to know that he has a good idea of what is and isn't a lot of bass "punch and substance"? If you answer yes to both, you can probably safely add those headphones to your short list.

Yes, you may not always agree 100%, but chances are much higher that you will when go with a proven expert opinion. The more experience someone has had reviewing products in a certain space, the more you can trust their future reviews. In other words, the broader their horizons are, the more you can trust them.

For example, my trust in Earl's reviews increased by 10 fold when he reviewed a well-known high-quality headphone from something other than the gaming space.(That being the ATH-AD700) Now that I know he's "eaten something better than a mcdonald's cheeseburger" (To bring it back to my first example up there) I am much more able to trust in his future evaluations.

In closing:

tl;dr:
If subjective reviews were worthless we wouldn't have food, movie, and music critics working for every major newspaper. They may not always be "right" in your case, but they damn well give you an idea about what the thing they are reviewing is like, whether or not you ultimately agree, and THAT is a valuable service.

You know, I have been seeing this opinion get repeated over and over around here and in other random audio reviews at non-"audiophile" sites.

This is just blatantly false, and I am sick of hearing it.

Yes; audio, as well as a user's like of anything that appeals to a sense, is subjective. Everyone has an opinion. But you know what? People tend to be wired similarly; we're all "based on the same model" as it were. This makes review opinions a valid form of product evaluation, especially when taken in aggregate. If a review of a subjectively-colored thing was completely worthless, then there wouldn't be popular restaurants. SURPRISE SURPRISE though; as it turns out, a lot of highly-reviewed restaurants are actually good. Same goes for Beer, Wine, Movies, etc.

So now you may say "But Kett, if that's true why don't I just get my reviews from joe-random on the street if any person's opinion is helpful?"

Glad you asked! See, while some random guy may tell you something is good, you don't know his background in the subject. Lets go back to the food example: Say you're looking for a great cheeseburger, so you decide to ask a couple of people their opinion. The first guy you talk to has only ever eaten fast food burgers; Wendy's, Mcdonalds, Burger king, etc. He tells you "Oh yeah, Best burger in the nation is at Wendy's!" The second guy you talk to has eaten at all the fast food places too, but has ALSO eaten at other places including local joints, fancy restaurants, and known burger landmarks like NY gems Shake Shack and Burger Joint. He tells you "My opinion is Shake Shack has the best burgers." and then goes on to tell you, in detail, why he made the choice he did. He in fact dissects the quality of his meal down to the meltiness of the cheese, how the meat was cooked, what kind of bun was on the burger, the quality of the toppings, and how the sides were, down to the crunchiness of the fries. Now, throwing out all your own pre-conceived notions of fast-food and burger experience, Whose review would you trust? Would you consider both of them worthless because "Taste is an opinion" ? No. Obviously, the second guy has some experience with what both a good and a bad good burger is and given your choice between trusting the first guy, the expert second guy, or just going out to some random fucking restaurant blind, I think the choice is completely obvious.

Also: Just because a topic of review is generally subjective does not mean the reviewer can't make objective evaluations about the topic that downplay their own bias. Lets go with a headphone example this time. Generally, you can separate a sound signature into Highs, Mids, and Lows. Some headphones will be better at certain frequencies than others. As a (Good) reviewer, you can dissect the sound of the headphones into it's component parts, and evaluate each of them on Quality, Quantity, etc. Lets say a reviewer likes a lot of Bass, but is reviewing a headphone like the ATH-AD700 which has a notoriously light low end. A bad reviewer might say "These headphones blows, rap is horrible on these" a good reviewer might say "The highs and mids that this headphone produce are exceptional, and lends it to be an excellent choice for those who enjoy classical and acoustic music. However the low end, while accurate, lacks much of the punch and substance required to bring many genres of electronic music and hip-hop to life." What can you learn from these two reviews? For the first one, not much. You know he doesn't like it, and that he listens to rap. For the second one, you know the general strengths and weaknesses of the headphone. Do your audio needs lend themselves to the reviewed headphone's strengths? Do you trust the audio reviewers headphone experience enough to know that he has a good idea of what is and isn't a lot of bass "punch and substance"? If you answer yes to both, you can probably safely add those headphones to your short list.

Yes, you may not always agree 100%, but chances are much higher that you will when go with a proven expert opinion. The more experience someone has had reviewing products in a certain space, the more you can trust their future reviews. In other words, the broader their horizons are, the more you can trust them.

For example, my trust in Earl's reviews increased by 10 fold when he reviewed a well-known high-quality headphone from something other than the gaming space.(That being the ATH-AD700) Now that I know he's "eaten something better than a mcdonald's cheeseburger" (To bring it back to my first example up there) I am much more able to trust in his future evaluations.

In closing:

tl;dr:
If subjective reviews were worthless we wouldn't have food, movie, and music critics working for every major newspaper. They may not always be "right" in your case, but they damn well give you an idea about what the thing they are reviewing is like, whether or not you ultimately agree, and THAT is a valuable service.

Kett, I truly understand your thoughts & feelings since I also give objective review & lot of importance along with the subjective one. Though I admit that objective review of a audio product is not all, but still it a substantial part of how you judge the audio product under discussion.

I found it very amusing as an engineer that this preconceived idea of "it is all in my ears while expert reviews & statistical data/graphs related to the product denote shit" very amusing.

If you look at my thread: Five 2.1 Speaker Set Comparison you will find every body have bombarded from every where claiming the audio frequency graph is done by nuts[Tom'sHardware], and it is not right, and we should give a shit to the graph. They give more importance to what an average Joe says than a experienced reviewer in a famous website. Note that his subjective reviews were also not taken positively at all.

While every body was critical about the reviewer no body ever thought that he & his scientific measurements may to a certain extent denote the real performance of the sets. But all in vain.

"JUST LISTEN TO YOUR EARS". Damn!!!

These guys can always see a glass half empty, but can never see it as half full. This is their biggest problem.

Last edited:
232 watts? Is this with all channels driven? At what THD? With what kind of material?

Last edited:
232 watts? Is this with all channels driven? At what THD? With what kind of material?

Corsair SP2500 makes 232 watts of FTC Rated Power. FTC is a standard and provides you a fair judgement of the power output. Considering that Logitech Z-2300 had 200 watts of FTC Rated Power I can safely say under normal PC setup i.e. if you are sitting 3 to 5 feet away from this satellites of either Z-2300 or SP2500 then this babies have the ability to make you near deaf at full volume.

Undoubtedly, for 2.1 PC speakers under $250, SP2500 is the power king.

[Note: FTC Rated Power in not "continuous power" as found on high end HiFi Systems. Z-2300 may have 200 watts of FTC Rated Power but the continuous power of the system is 120 watts.]

FTC does not allow more than 10% THD under full volume. Again taking the example of Z-2300, under full volume 200W power it has 10%THD but under normal listening circumstances which tends to be under 75% vol at 150 watts[Z-2300 amplifier starts to clip from here] the System THD of Z-2300 is less than 0.05% which is acceptable for a PC speaker. I believe SP2500 also follows the same route and have 232W @ 10%THD but under 75% volume have acceptable THD levels for normal listening.

I cannot give the answer to your question "Is this with all channels driven?" I think Dylan Rhodes the Dir. of Marketing of Corsair can provide the info.

Anyway, I want to thank Dylan Rhodes & his team for this formidable effort. I know as an engineer how hard it is to delve into a different unknown segment with no prior experience & come out with a product that straight away challenges the top established 2.1 PC speakers head to head.

SP2500 with out a doubt is a formidable challenger to Logitech Z-2300, Logitech Z-623, Sony SRS DB-500, Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra, Creative Gigaworks T3 & Klipsch Promedia.

Last edited:
has anyone given thought to this?

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/prod...nd&p=swan-m200mkii&cPath=21_24&products_id=80

these have had VERY VERY HIGH recommendations from the folks over at avsforum (which says a lot)...

a quick search shows that reviews for this is positive all over...

btw most people are easily impressed by bass...and think bass as a measurement of good speaker performance...which is why logitech is so popular...its muddy bass...

The single review for these on Newegg is a slap in the face compared to all the "pro" reviews, lol. Sometimes when I'm bored I just sit on Newegg and read the reviews for various products, it is extremely humorous....

Back