Corsair SATA power connector orientation

Xiphos

Limp Gawd
Corsair makes mostly bottom mount power supply cases. but its odd that their SATA power connectors are still made for top mount cases.

All of my hard drives and SSDs have their power and SATA connection with the short line of the L pointing down.
like so -
c1r2Z.jpg

but Corsair power connectors all have their short line of L pointing up when mounted on the bottom of the case.
Tpm6E.jpg

thus I have to route my SATA power cable awkwardly
ZU7qm.jpg

sure I could flip the hard drive upside down, but then it'd be my SATA data cable that's awkward
2xQid.jpg

what solutions do you guys have?

You could just take the SATA connector off, move it to the other side of the wire, flip it 180 degrees (this will make sure the same wires line up where they used to on the connector) and then snap it back on. Another mental visualization would be to think that the connector itself was rotating vertically through the wire (with the axis being the line at which the connector meets the five power wires). Maybe 30 seconds tops per connector.

Last edited:
There are different SATA cables available with ends that have the cable exit both directions (well, 3 if you also include straight). Just get the proper one and the upside-down HD config should then work fine. As for the drives themselves, it's standard.

Edit: 3, not 5... You can get cables that are right angle up or down for SATA, not left or right as far as I know. I was thinking of video cables there. Wouldn't be helpful if you had a SATA cable that exited into the power cable right next to it, lol

Last edited:
You could just take the SATA connector off, move it to the other side of the wire, flip it 180 degrees (this will make sure the same wires line up where they used to on the connector) and then snap it back on. Another mental visualization would be to think that the connector itself was rotating vertically through the wire (with the axis being the line at which the connector meets the five power wires). Maybe 30 seconds tops per connector.
never modded power supply connectors before, but will give it a shot.
thanks
There are different SATA cables available with ends that have the cable exit all 4 directions (well, 5 if you also include straight). Just get the proper one and the upside-down HD config should then work fine. As for the drives themselves, it's standard.
full of questions from your post. what are these different SATA cables you speak of? all of mine came with the same orientation. And no, I do not want to mount my hard drives upside down (more dust on the PCB).

I have a couple like that as well, makes it difficult to create a neat setup.
Super annoying right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

speaking of annoyance,

my molex connector cables both have a single one of their molex connector wired weirdly, the cables were criss-crossed?
don't know how to describe it exactly. so pictures it is -
UmuZu.jpg

07BWN.jpg

not as big of an issue as the SATA connectors, but still a bother.

never modded power supply connectors before, but will give it a shot.
thanks

The SATA connectors are super easy, just use a really small flathead (or a knife) to pry up the "lid" -- they just clip on. Then pull the wires out of the V-shaped crevices they are in, flip the connector and stuff the wires back in. It might be useful to make sure they are fully seated with your flathead before clipping the lid back on.

The usual caveats, of course, make sure the power supply is off, unplugged, and you note the wire orientation (say, with reference to the "L" on the connector) before you undo anything :)

You can also find decent guides for popping off the molex connectors if you want to restring the wires so they are not crossing through each other (again, same caveats).

Good luck!

Back