Corsair Rebates? Debit Card=Stupid!

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: What with this nonsense with a debit card rebate? I want a check, not some stupid debit card that I can't deposit into my savings/checking account! What happens if you have a $20.00 debit card & something costs $35.00? Do you hand the checkout person the card & pony-up the $15.00?

I swear, most the these companies try everything in their power not to pay out on rebates! You have to jump through hoops & even if you do everything right, I wager to say 30%-40% of all rebates don't happen. Sorry...I just needed to rant!

What happens if you have a $20.00 debit card & something costs $35.00? Do you hand the checkout person the card & pony-up the $15.00?
That's exactly how it works. You swipe the card like any other debit or pre-paid credit card, it deducts that amount and you pay the balance however you like. You don't have to bother with depositing a check, and the card is good anywhere that takes regular debit cards.

Pretty convenient, IMO. :)

you are still getting the rebate........ is it written in concrete that it must be a cheque?

Heh, I think its very convient, sometimes I get lazy to deposit the check!

minus the 10% or so fee Citi charges for the transaction...
I have received debit cards before and there was never any fees for transactions. OP stop bitching because its the same as a gift card. Im sure you will buy something like gas, groceries or whatnot and you can just apply the debit card to it when you checkout.

I've always been pleased with Corsair rebates and recieved 100% of them back. I did feel weirded out at first but it's still money. It just doesn't help make my checking/savings account look better.

minus the 10% or so fee Citi charges for the transaction...
The only fees I've ever seen for using a debit card were tacked on by the retailer, not the card issuer.

From the Newegg Corsair rebate PDF:

Cards are issued by Citibank, N.A. pursuant to a license with Visa U.S.A. Inc. and managed by Ecount, a Citi company. This card can be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.

I just sent my rebate for a flash drive I just bought. If I get a debit card it will be fine with me as long as I get it.

i think what it comes down to is VISA charges them a lower rate to send out the debit cards then what their bank charges to use checks.... i know my state is putting UI benifits on debit cards only now, or direct deposit. no more paper checks. go green with oil based plastic.

I just got a $30 visa card from some memory a while back. Works as credit/debit, I don't have a problem with them doing it that way.

ok I have a question since we're kind of on the topic of corsair rebates...

I bought a 750w psu from corsair last april. I sent out everything required but never got the rebate.. I just found the copy of my UPC code (couldn't find it back then), so is there any possibility I can get the money? It was a $50 rebate :/

how do people not know how debit cards work?

::edit::

no way in hell any company would honor a year-old rebate, if there was a problem you should have taken it up with them much earlier

I bought a 750w psu from corsair last april. I sent out everything required but never got the rebate.. I just found the copy of my UPC code (couldn't find it back then), so is there any possibility I can get the money? It was a $50 rebate :/

go to corsairmemory.com forums....customer service section

how do people not know how debit cards work?

::edit::

no way in hell any company would honor a year-old rebate, if there was a problem you should have taken it up with them much earlier

I don't care if it's been 10 years. They should have sent out that money point blank. Yeah I know rebates are a risk, but still companies shouldn't advertise rebates if they're not going to pay them out.

go to corsairmemory.com forums....customer service section

nice, thanks

?? you said you sent out everything required but then you say you couldnt find the upc code back then. wasnt the upc required for the rebate???

The most concerning thing about debit cards:

1) generally a short lifespan.....90 days or so.
2) need to be activated.....yes most people have internet connections that buy desktop memory......but....
3) have to be used by that person
4) Im not sure you could use it on the internet for purchases.

if I get a check, once in the bank the money is good forever.
if I deposit into my joint account it is available for my wife to use as well.

2) need to be activated.....yes most people have internet connections that buy desktop memory......but....

does that stuff really matter and are you actually sure about all that? I dont remember having to go online to activate every debit card I have received. also my mother gave me a rebate debit card the she got and I had no trouble using it. complaining about a debit card has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. people should use them and shut up about it.

Corsair makes video cards now?

Sorry Guys....Why I posted in the video card section is my fault! LLoose @ least you made me laugh! Anyway...I hate the whole rebate process & I don't like the debit scenario. Just my 2 cents worth. I bought a PC Power & Cooling 370 Watt PSU for $45.00 (no rebates & free shipping) vs the Corsair 400 Watt plus the $10.00 rebate nonsense. Again...Sorry I posted here!

Just wanted to comment on some of the responses:

1) Even with a cheque they still sometimes require you to deposit it within a specific timeframe
2) Most of these pre-paid debit cards don't need to be activated.
4) You should be able to use these online for internet purchases since most of them are branded Visa or MasterCard so you should be able to use it at an e-tailer that accepts these card types.

I think Debit Cards are pretty convienent and eventually i would have used cash to buy some items so that money I saved I'd put that into my savings account.

Every debit card I've received as a result of a rebate had to be activated on line before using.(or via an 800 number)

Secondly, I wanted to use one the other day somewhere on line and it wasn't the same format as a credit card at all and was rejected.....this was a Visa branded debit card.

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts as I see them.
I think these debit cards present more trouble than they're worth.

I cannot imagine you could produce someone else's debit card at a place of business and they would take it no questions asked.........doesn't work where I come from.

Every debit card I've received as a result of a rebate had to be activated on line before using.(or via an 800 number)

Secondly, I wanted to use one the other day somewhere on line and it wasn't the same format as a credit card at all and was rejected.....this was a Visa branded debit card.

I cannot imagine you could produce someone else's debit card at a place of business and they would take it no questions asked.........doesn't work where I come from.
you dont get asked for id when using a normal debit card so why would you for this one? heck I dont even remember a name being on the last one I received.

The one i got from corsair and just used successfully did not need to be activated, has a proper credit card number and security number on the back just like any other cc so you can use it anywhere, and has my name on it as the card holder so there should be no reason for it to be declined. It looks and works exactly like any other credit/debit card, I can't see how you would have a problem with this particular card. Maybe other companies issue rebates using different cards, but these are fine.

I don't care if it's been 10 years. They should have sent out that money point blank. Yeah I know rebates are a risk, but still companies shouldn't advertise rebates if they're not going to pay them out.

whats statute of limitations? things dont work like that dude, almost all rebates say you have to claim them before a certain amount of time passes in the fine print. and let me stop you before you say anything.. that period of time is never a year. loel.

it does where i come from. my gf gives me hers when i pick up random shit for her sometimes, and nobody bats an eye.. and im the type of guy that usually makes other people suspicious. so...shrug.

whats statute of limitations? things dont work like that dude, almost all rebates say you have to claim them before a certain amount of time passes in the fine print. and let me stop you before you say anything.. that period of time is never a year. loel.

It'll be like 2 weeks from a year errr..

still though it's the principle; I did everything on my part. I got a rebate from A-Data but not from Corsair (I bought the ram the same time)

whatever, I'll do it for the laughs.

CC rebates are nonsense. Just write me a check. It has to be cheaper to just write a check.

I just used my $40 rebate visa card from Corsair to buy a BR drive from buy.com. I entered the info like a regular CC and finished it off w/ my CC, no activation required. :confused:

withdraw the money into your paypal account (i.e. pay yourself with it), and then xfer that to your bank account.

That's exactly how it works. You swipe the card like any other debit or pre-paid credit card, it deducts that amount and you pay the balance however you like. You don't have to bother with depositing a check, and the card is good anywhere that takes regular debit cards.

Pretty convenient, IMO. :)
+1

Thread starter, it works just fine anywhere Visa is accepted. For example, if you buy $30 of groceries and have a $20 debit card, ask the cashier to deduct the $20, then you can pay the remaining $10 by cash, check or your personal debit or credit card. It works just fine.

Note that if you use this in a self-checkout service, such as at a gas station, even though it's a debit card, you have to swipe it like a credit card when it asks you debit or credit. That part is a little confusing, but it works.

Oh, I have an interesting debit card observation/question. I got a $20 Visa debit card rebate for some product purchase in the past. I went to Best Buy and bought something that came out to $20.28 after tax. I was expecting to pay off $20 w/ the debit card and then the balance with pocket change. However, the CSR told me she swiped the card and it took off the entire $20.28. I thought that was odd. A couple days later, I checked the balance of my debit card and it said negative 28 cents. :eek:

Does that mean Visa will bill me for the remaining 28 cents or did they screw up by allowing more than $20 to be deducted from it? :confused: Normally, when I exhaust a debit card, I cut it up and discard it, but I guess I'll hang onto this for a month to see if I get a bill.

I've grown frustrated with rebates over time. I suppose a debit card isn't too bad, but it's not ideal because:

Generally, they expire after a short perid of time. This is worse than a check because with a check, you just have to deposit it before expiration. With a debit card, you must buy by that time.

Also, many online sites won't allow you to use two cards. So, you can only buy something that is in the amount of the card or less, since you can't put the rest on a CC card.

Companies offering rebates really like these because they expire quickly, and because a lot of folks will use a partial amount of the balance, and then forget about or not use the remaining until it expires. So in the end, they pay out less money.

I've grown frustrated with rebates over time. I suppose a debit card isn't too bad, but it's not ideal because:

Generally, they expire after a short perid of time. This is worse than a check because with a check, you just have to deposit it before expiration. With a debit card, you must buy by that time.

Also, many online sites won't allow you to use two cards. So, you can only buy something that is in the amount of the card or less, since you can't put the rest on a CC card.

Companies offering rebates really like these because they expire quickly, and because a lot of folks will use a partial amount of the balance, and then forget about or not use the remaining until it expires. So in the end, they pay out less money.

I'm asking as a serious question. Do you and others who complain about debit cards ever use plastic in the real world or only online? If you swipe at a gas station, grocery store, etc., then just use this debit card during those times. If you only pay by cash at B&M, then you may have a point. But even then, I'm sure there's at least 1 time before the card expires where you could use this debit card and not feel like you're wasting money. Maybe even overpay one of your utility bills by the debit card amount (assuming you can pay by plastic) to give yourself credit for your next month's bill.

I'm asking as a serious question. Do you and others who complain about debit cards ever use plastic in the real world or only online? If you swipe at a gas station, grocery store, etc., then just use this debit card during those times. If you only pay by cash at B&M, then you may have a point. But even then, I'm sure there's at least 1 time before the card expires where you could use this debit card and not feel like you're wasting money. Maybe even overpay one of your utility bills by the debit card amount (assuming you can pay by plastic) to give yourself credit for your next month's bill.

I agree and you make sense, obviously.
I use plastic almost exclusively, it's rare that I have any green money on me.....
I just don't like these debit things as rebates, much for the same reasons as NMR.

That's all:rolleyes:

I generally keep a small fund seperate from everything else.....kinda like a piggybank.....where all my rebates go, and this is money I use to fund my habit of upgrading components and buying watercooling stuff.......it's just a quirk, but the rebate money piles up pretty fast.

Back