Corsair PSU Chirping

Dicehunter

n00b
Currently I have a Corsair RMi 1000w, It's fully stable but over the last year it's been making an odd chirping sound, Like a small tweeting bird is trapped in the PSU XD

It's feint but it has slowly been getting louder over the year, What could this be ? I do not have any after market cables and this sound is at idle as well as load.

stick something in the fan to stop it, if the noise stops, its the fan. if not, its one of the components inside. you can either keep living with it or try to rma but it will probably not be labeled a defect.
welcome to [H] btw.

stick something in the fan to stop it, if the noise stops, its the fan. if not, its one of the components inside. you can either keep living with it or try to rma but it will probably not be labeled a defect.
welcome to [H] btw.

Appreciated thank you :)

The fan is not spinning so looks like it's the electricals.

its prob coil whine or inductor noise, normally its just under load. you could inquire with them about rma.

Thing is it's not just under load it's also at idle and getting louder, As to an RMA... I annoyingly don't have the proof of purchase anymore and Corsair have said without that an RMA is a no go.

Thing is it's not just under load it's also at idle and getting louder, As to an RMA... I annoyingly don't have the proof of purchase anymore and Corsair have said without that an RMA is a no go.
i know, you said that, hence: "normally its just under load". well, i guess you get to live with it then. move your tower further away.

Just to add to what pendragon said, the noise itself isn't an indicator of an issue, but its gradual increase tells us something in your whole PC is undergoing changes in electrical characteristics.

It might not even be your PSU specifically. Motherboard and GPU are also possible candidates, and it will manifest in the PSU making noises.

Kubrick's Space Odyssey answered this problem a while ago:
HAL 9000: I would recommend that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail. It should then be a simple matter to track down the cause.

So what I would do is to stress-test the crap out of your PC for a few days in order to make sure you're not already in the 'red' as far as stability goes. Things like prime95, or some GPU benchmark on loop. You can do it when you're not using your PC, but keep in mind it might actually die and let out the blue smoke (which is the ghost in the machine).

If you're feeling adventurous and have spare parts, try removing unneeded components, re-plug connectors.

Just to add to what pendragon said, the noise itself isn't an indicator of an issue, but its gradual increase tells us something in your whole PC is undergoing changes in electrical characteristics.

I've seen capacitors going bad in PSUs causing the inductors and transformers to start clicking/chirping/whining.

Why is the fan not spinning?
1631228710771.png

Back