Corsair LPX RAM pr0n

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I always get a bit excited, just like Christmas morning, every time I get a new box of RAM from Corsair. I will be doing some more Kaby Lake - 7700K overclocking with these new Vengeance LPX DIMMs. This is a 32GB 3600MHz kit, part number CMK32GX4M4B3600C18.

Last edited:
So then we might be seeing the OC article in time for some weekend reading?

I was beginning to wonder if maybe you were having some issues with pushing OC's or something on Kaby parts.
Gotta see how it goes first. Trying to get a good idea with the several 7700K processors I have here on different boards. Being that I am a "bit early" with the Kaby Lake stuff, I want to make sure I feel dead on about what I am saying so as to not give the wrong impressions.

Hey Kyle quick question - I have LPX 3000 that I've clocked down to 2666 and the timings are fairly loose. Specs in my sig are fairly accurate, but I've moved the OC on the 5820k to 4.1. Ever since I put in the LPX I'm getting random bsod's which all tie back to the memory, but the mem always passes testing. Have you ever had stability issues with LPX?

Since I know you are running similar specs on your workstation just looking for ideas. Did a full Aida stress for half the day a couple weekends ago and passed fine.

(Seeing identical looking modules triggered me leading to this post ;) )

Have you ever had stability issues with LPX?
I have never had any issues with stability at 2666 with any LPX sticks rated down to 2666. I am running some older Corsair sticks in my box with a bit tighter timings now. 15-15-15-36-2T. No issues at all. I did have one stick of old Dominator go bad this year, after a lot of usage though.

Hey, haste, just throwing it in there that I have some vengeance LP ddr3 sticks that are rated at 9-9-9-24@1600 which is the xmp profile but they have some sorry sub-timings like trc (? I think) @41 which should be 33 (9+24) for best performance, as far as I know.

and even with a modest voltage increase still can't get em to run at 9-9-9-24-33 1600 it's like the sorry xmp rating they gave these is the max you're getting out of these period.

Now the dominator platinums I have in my gaming rig are another story for another time. but as far as I'm concerned, you can take the letters lp two different ways, low power, or low performance. same difference really. but I learned from my mistake, so I know what to expect from now on.

Hey Kyle quick question - I have LPX 3000 that I've clocked down to 2666 and the timings are fairly loose. Specs in my sig are fairly accurate, but I've moved the OC on the 5820k to 4.1. Ever since I put in the LPX I'm getting random bsod's which all tie back to the memory, but the mem always passes testing. Have you ever had stability issues with LPX?

Since I know you are running similar specs on your workstation just looking for ideas. Did a full Aida stress for half the day a couple weekends ago and passed fine.

every single set of corsair ram I'm ever used has needed a bit of a voltage boost.

I've built a lot of Z170 systems. In general the safest "drop in" RAM speed I've seen is 2666. 2800 works a good deal of the time without major issues. After that though... you have to really enjoy tweaking.

So I put these into a new board, and these DIMMs would not POST. All my other DDR4 would POST in this motherboard. I reached out to the board builder about this, and they suggested that I clean the contacts on these DIMMs with a pencil eraser. I thought to myself, "What crack are these guys smoking?" but I tried it. AND IT WORKED!

One more thing to put on your mental list when you are troubleshooting a new build...

Yes, but it is usually a good idea to follow that up with a small brush (toothbrush works well) and rubbing alcohol, to remove the shavings from the eraser and ensure the contacts are clean. After all, leaving any residue of eraser shavings on the contact may result in ESD.
Yep, did that for sure. Seriously though, first time since early 90s that I have had this issue with contacts.

rubber bits wouldn't cause esd and I do know esd real. one and only time I ever killed a cpu was esd. I was laughing because rubber bits would only cause contact problems, rubber is an insulator so no esd if it rubs on the contacts conductive pins.

use the linux memtest here followed by hci memtest
http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/...broadwell-e-24-7-ddr4-memory-stability-thread
the first will focus on finding problems with ram and do so much better than any other memtest i have used
the second will focus more on the memory controller

5820k can be fussy with its strap when overclocking ram
if the system is stable with the cpu at 4.1ghz or the ram at 2666 but not both its probably the mem controller or strap thats your problem

rubber bits wouldn't cause esd and I do know esd real. one and only time I ever killed a cpu was esd. I was laughing because rubber bits would only cause contact problems, rubber is an insulator so no esd if it rubs on the contacts conductive pins.

It isn't the rubber that is the problem, its what is attached to the rubber, like the crap you are rubbing off the contacts, or the dust in the air, or dirt, etc. I don't think you have fully thought through the process. Having worked with electronic parts for over 20 years, I have seen a lot of ESD scenarios become realities. Just because something does not conduct, does not mean it does not pick up something at some point that does...
For instance, while pure distilled water does not conduct, it is not always pure. Once it leaves its pure environment, it could pick up any number of things which can then make it conductive. I have seen that happen as well.

The reason I specifically mention the shavings from the eraser, is that typically that is the outside of the eraser and has the very things you are trying to eliminate on it, and possibly other contaminants prior. The reason you use an eraser is because its a hard, but malleable semi sticky surface that is mostly comprised of non-conductive material. But that does not make it fool-proof which is why following that up with a plastic toothbrush and rubbing alcohol can help eliminate any leftover bits.

Last edited:
we have the same yrs not experiences so no point in continuing.

You have to remember, just because you have the same years doesn't make it equal, especially when you don't have the same experience. Lack of seeing something is not proof that something does not exist, it is merely proof that you apparently cannot see it, which makes your all caps laughing response completely ridiculous.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/...broadwell-e-24-7-ddr4-memory-stability-thread
the first will focus on finding problems with ram and do so much better than any other memtest i have used

if the system is stable with the cpu at 4.1ghz or the ram at 2666 but not both its probably the mem controller or strap thats your problem
Been running Prime95 with a full 31GB load now since I last posted at 4.5/3600 - 1.3vCore/1.35vRam. Looking like I have gotten my RAM issue off the table when it comes to OC.

Getting back on topic. Kyle, did that kit come with the fan or did you buy it separately?

EDIT: When I clicked on the link for the kit, it did not show the fan, but I see it listed in the contents.
The package I showed in the picture came with the fan in one box, so I am ASSUMING that is the retail package. Let me kick in a Corsair rep to this thread to verify.

The reason I specifically mention the shavings from the eraser, is that typically that is the outside of the eraser and has the very things you are trying to eliminate on it, and possibly other contaminants prior. The reason you use an eraser is because its a hard, but malleable semi sticky surface that is mostly comprised of non-conductive material. But that does not make it fool-proof which is why following that up with a plastic toothbrush and rubbing alcohol can help eliminate any leftover bits.
I actually used a clean white eraser. Not worried about ESD, but was considering actual eraser scrub causing contact issues.

Odd thing is that I had 16gb "cheap" 2666 EVGA memory in and was able to get to 4.5 pretty easily on the CPU. Vcore was a little high for me, but well within tolerance and was nice and cold. Swapped out for 32gb of the LPX instead of having mismatched modules and started having the problems shortly after. I wonder if it is the mem controller - I sure hope the CPU isn't degrading this fast as I haven't pushed it too hard.

Getting back on topic. Kyle, did that kit come with the fan or did you buy it separately?

EDIT: When I clicked on the link for the kit, it did not show the fan, but I see it listed in the contents.

From Corsair: "Yup, package you were sent was retail. The higher speed DDR4 kits ship with the cooling fan."

Odd thing is that I had 16gb "cheap" 2666 EVGA memory in and was able to get to 4.5 pretty easily on the CPU. Vcore was a little high for me, but well within tolerance and was nice and cold. Swapped out for 32gb of the LPX instead of having mismatched modules and started having the problems shortly after. I wonder if it is the mem controller - I sure hope the CPU isn't degrading this fast as I haven't pushed it too hard.
doubling the amount of ram puts more stress on the memory controller especially when moving from single sided dims to double sided dimms or doubling the number of sticks which you probably havent done just for 32g
so if the linux stress tests passes this means the ram is probably ok and running hci memtest as shown in the thread i linked fails feed the memory controller a bit more juice and see what affect that has
i doubt your cpu will have degraded

Problem with ESD damage is that most of the time, it reduce lifespan of electronics.
Keep in mind that those event happens really fast and for your body to feel a ESD event, it need a lot of voltage when electronics only needs a fraction to get damaged.
The only method to see ESD damage is with X-ray like machine.

I highly insist on ESD damage will reduce life of electronic and can/may cause it to fail 1 year after the ESD event.
Thanks for your insight.

I don't recall anyone saying esd was a myth, just that a rubber eraser on metal contacts isn't going to build a static charge. the dirt and rubber debris is what would cause a contact problem.

I don't recall anyone saying esd was a myth, just that a rubber eraser on metal contacts isn't going to build a static charge. the dirt and rubber debris is what would cause a contact problem.

ESD is no myth. I had a co-worker hand me a network card and as soon as it touched my hand I heard and felt the discharge of electricity. I threw the card into the system and that mother was fried. I'd agree that people often overplay the ESD sensitivity of electronics but the danger of frying something is very real.

I leant my lesson the hard way on my very first personally bought system, working on carpet = dead k6-2. :(

Back