Corsair HX850W Power Supply @ [H]

''....the Original ATX specification made absolutely no exception for higher powered units, although no the specification has been rescinded.

PC P&C's refusal to use multiple rails only stems from the fact that they did originally try multi-rail setups, but their manufacturers did a horrible job of distributing connectors on the rails, and thus their multi-rail PSUs ran into problems. Other manufacturers learned from their mistakes and learned how to properly implement a multi-rail design.

A great lesson in the evolution of the single rail/multi rail systems and trhe reason behind PCP&P's design choices. Thanks...I'll also look at the Seasonic M12D's spes (although the HX850 is already oredred :D )

I got mine for about $160 after cashback from Tigerdirect... going into my I7 build...

I've wanted a modular Corsair, but 1000hx was too big, 620 was too small, and this comes out a week before I order my build... perfect... :D

Wish the 620HX had the 6pin or 8pin connectors to the PSU for every modular cable.

Would make it a lot easier to make longer or shorter custom cables.

Mine will be hear on Monday, This should be fine for GTX X2 SLI ? Dave.

Last edited:
Sorry GTX 260.

GPU: 55nm GTX 260 Core 216
·Core Clock: 626 MHz
·Memory Clock: 2106 MHz
·Shader Clock: 1350 MHz
·Bus Type: PCI-E 2.0
·Memory Detail: 896 MB DDR3
·Memory Bit Width: 448 Bit
·Memory Speed: 1.0 ns
·Memory Bandwidth: 117.9 GB/sec

That's what I'm planning on running...

I7 920, P6T Deluxe, 4 x 640GB drives, and 2 x GTX260's in SLI... w/ Corsair 850HX

Very nice psu. I currently have a HX620...thinking about upgrading to this when the price is right and when I have enough to get a pair of video cards as well :D

I posted this on Corsair's forums as well but, do I need to register the PSU to validate my 7 year warranty?

During his cold tests, on the 20% and 50% end, Oklahoma Wolf got similar numbers, but on the 100% end his sample dropped off and JUST posted an 80plus Silver worthy 85%.

In his tests the Revolutin 85+ 850W was actually closer to Gold numbers...since it kept its efficiency through 20%, 50% and 100%, although at 20% to 50% it was less efficient than the Corsair.

One issue has popped up though:

I moved from one house to another (1st house was 30 years old and had an updated Fuse Panel with 150amp service) to a 15 year old house (that has 200amp service) and I just noticed there is now buzzing sound coming from the unit. Whether the computer is powered on or not, and it is plugged into my UPS (when it is switched on), I have a constant buzz (not the alcoholic kind ;) ) coming from the unit.

I assume this is normal? My previous PCP&C TurboCool 850 never exhibited this behavior--that I can remember. Is the unit working properly with this buzzing happening? Am I running a risk of damaging anything with this buzzing?

Thanks.

I have not heard any buzzing on the test units we have here in the labs. You might want to try different outlets in different rooms to determine if it's a wiring issue.

I don't think the unit is bad, but if you want to RMA it we'd certainly do that for you.

I have not heard any buzzing on the test units we have here in the labs. You might want to try different outlets in different rooms to determine if it's a wiring issue.

I don't think the unit is bad, but if you want to RMA it we'd certainly do that for you.

I don't think the unit is bad either and I will test it on another outlet. The only thing that changed was going from one house to another.

Is the buzzing a bad thing?

I don't think the unit is bad either and I will test it on another outlet. The only thing that changed was going from one house to another.

Is the buzzing a bad thing?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Mine buzzes too when I first start it up, and eventually it goes away after like 10 minutes or so. Also, I love this PSU it's awesome.

Weird thing is, I have had it on now for over an hour and it has not done one bit of buzzing. Could it have been something to do with the fact that my UPS has been off for 9 days (not plugged into wall outlet) and it was charging at the time I noticed my PSU buzzing? It has been charging for over a day now without the PC being on it.

Just a theory.....

UPDATE-

ugh, the buzz is back. I tried going directly from an outlet and the buzzing is still there. I even tried different outlets. Is my PSU defective?

Last edited:
It takes about an hour before the noise reappears after I turn on the PC.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like it's annoying enough to bother you so I would probably RMA it. I should be getting my HX850 anytime now so hopefully it doesn't buzz on me

I hear a low buzzing sound from my Toughpower 750W unit from time to time.

My VX550 buzzed horribly for a few months until I reinstalled the videocard and PSU (took both out and reassembled). Was considering an RMA as well, but it's all fine now :)

Note: I also removed two 80 mm fans from the system, they made more noise than the rest of the system, the servers, UPSs and and network equipment taken together. This not even at 100%. It's all silent now :)

I was told by JonnyGuru that it is not a normal noise and it is caused by something call MagnetoRestriction. Either a bad transformer or loose windings.

During his cold tests, on the 20% and 50% end, Oklahoma Wolf got similar numbers, but on the 100% end his sample dropped off and JUST posted an 80plus Silver worthy 85%.

In his tests the Revolutin 85+ 850W was actually closer to Gold numbers...since it kept its efficiency through 20%, 50% and 100%, although at 20% to 50% it was less efficient than the Corsair.

I guess someone at Corsair thought the same thing and asked 80plus to back off on the rating from Gold to Silver, so that it won't seem they sent 80plus a "Golden Sample" pun not intended. Reviewers aren't getting Gold worthy numbers, and apparently Corsair is saying the sample they sent 80plus didn't get Gold worthy numbers when they tested it. So what is the deal with 80plus's numbers?

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=19218&page=3

I guess someone at Corsair thought the same thing and asked 80plus to back off on the rating from Gold to Silver, so that it won't seem they sent 80plus a "Golden Sample" pun not intended. Reviewers aren't getting Gold worthy numbers, and apparently Corsair is saying the sample they sent 80plus didn't get Gold worthy numbers when they tested it. So what is the deal with 80plus's numbers?

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=19218&page=3

Our internal tests are pretty rigorous and our quality standards are very high. Like Jim says in that interview, some units on store shelves will meet 80Plus Gold standards, but most won't.

The units we sent to 80Plus were borderline silver/gold in our testing, we knew that at 110V input they'd be just under the gold testing numbers. This is about average for the HX750 and HX850. We were pleasantly surprised that they hit gold at 80Plus, but we feel it would be dishonest to keep the rating and advertise it knowing that most units won't quite hit gold numbers.

So while we could legally do this, it wouldn't really be right to do it. In Europe where the input voltage is 230V, almost all the units will hit 80Plus Gold numbers. But that's not how the 80Plus testing is done.

Anyway - no conspiracy here - just didn't want people buying something based on false assumptions.

Anyway - no conspiracy here - just didn't want people buying something based on false assumptions.

I think people are getting way too hung up on efficiency now anyway. The biggest efficiency concern for me, is how much heat the unit will have to dissipate. More efficient, means cooler and quieter.

Otherwise, I am more concerned with Voltage regulation and ripple suppression, which the HX series have in spades.

I think people are getting way too hung up on efficiency now anyway. The biggest efficiency concern for me, is how much heat the unit will have to dissipate. More efficient, means cooler and quieter.

Otherwise, I am more concerned with Voltage regulation and ripple suppression, which the HX series have in spades.

I think that 80Plus Gold is really fancy already anyway. It gets close to the efficiency of a DC-DC PSU, which is something AC-DC PSUs for the longest time haven't even gotten close to. We have struggled for so long with ~60-70% efficiencies that the current 85%+ efficiencies are a really nice improvement already :)

The PSU not killing the attached hardware is indeed the primary thing to look for. There have been and still are too many PSUs which just plain suck. It's good to see that Corsair is keeping up its streak of excellent PSUs :)

I agree, having had some turkeys in the past which murdered primarily hard drives, in the last three years those problems have gone away after going with brands that deliver stable and clean power. Efficiency is a bit secondary for me as well, I'm all for lower power bills and a "greener Earth" (phew), but I'm not obsessed.

Just installed this PS and I'm impressed. It's quiet, solid and increased my overclock from 3.0 Ghz to 3.2 gHz on Q6600 on air. Does it do windows? :D

Does it buzz?

Nope. The loudest thing on this computer is the EVGA 260GTX fan running at 70% for better cooling.

Corsair HX850W
ASUS P5Q PRO
Q6600 (3.0 gHZ 25% overclock)
2 x 2 GB Kingston PC8500 HyperX (2.2v)
EVGA 260GTX
Auzen Prelude 7.1
Killer K1 NIC
2 x Hitachi HDP7250 500 GB
2 x Samsung SH182M DVD
Sony BDU-X10S BluRay reader
MS Trackball Explorer
Logitech G15 (v1)
1 x floppy drive
USB front panel interface with 2 x USB & analogue audio ports
Wrapped in a Coolermaster Elite 330 case with 2 x 120mm Yate Loon 120cm fans (1 inbound & 1 outbound)

Back