Corsair HX850 vs Seasonic M12D 850W

SoulWind

Limp Gawd
For someone who keeps a quiet rig, what's the better choice: Corsair HX850 or Seasonic M12D 850W? Other suggestions are welcome too of course.

Currently I have a Corsair HX620, and I am very pleased with the sound levels, however I read that the HX850 is louder. Aside from that, it looks like an excellent PSU.

My strikes against the M12D, are the sorta "half" modularity and the AnandTech review where they commented that the fan creates a "ticking" sound under light load. (link)

My current rig:
AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.6ghz
1x WD Velociraptor 300gb 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black
EVGA 8800 GTS 512
Corsair HX620

I am planning to pick up a Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X whenever I see one in stock, and although I should be able to run that without issue on my HX620, I'm thinking ahead to a second 5870.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty much in the same boat when trying to decide between these two power supplies. Can anyone else shed some more light on which one is better and why?

I'm pretty much in the same boat when trying to decide between these two power supplies. Can anyone else shed some more light on which one is better and why?
Neither is better. They have pretty much equivalent performance.

Is the X-750 enough to power an i7 920 @ 4ghz and a 5870 or two in crossfire?

I have to admit I'd forgotten about the X-750, that is an excellent PSU. Although I'd like to go 850w, it should be enough.

I think I might go for that instead lol

I just replaced my 620HX with an 850HX.

The 850's efficiency shows, my 620hx used to get warm, sometimes hot to the touch. The 850hx stays much, much cooler. In terms of noise, I've never had an issue with either. Case fans and the like have been louder than both the 620 and 850hx.

The 850's efficiency shows, my 620hx used to get warm, sometimes hot to the touch. The 850hx stays much, much cooler.
It's just as likely that the cause of the lower temperature is the fact that your load percentage is lower on the HX850 compared to the HX620. PSUs generally run cooler within the 40-60% load range, no matter how efficient they are.

I was in this exact same upgrade boat and I chose the Seasonic. I read more than 10 detailed reviews on each supply and decided, based primarily on price, to go with the Seasonic.

When it was released, the seasonic was $299. It eventually got a $60 Mail in rebate, bringing it to $239. It's now at $139 without dealing with any rebates from the egg. The Corsair 850 w (and I love Corsair) is still at $179 or a slightly cheaper $172 at ZZF.

I too am running the HX620 and it was a great unit. I actually have it running an overclocked i7 with oc'd SLI'd GTX285's. It (HX620) has pulled over 820w from the wall under OCCT PSU stress test. Still going strong too.

I should have the Sessonic in my hands in two days. I'll definitley post if it blows up or anything.

Hey Sprout, Im in the same boat....was siding with the Corsair but Im curious to see how your Seasonic works out. My Hx620 has been the best PS I've ever had so kinda loyal to Corsair because of that.

I'll post here when I find out. I'm panning on running the OCCT psu test again with the video cards overclocked this time.

I'm kicking around getting a new PSU also and I have a general question. Lets say same system, but 2 different PSUs. Lets say one is a 620w PSU and the other is an 850w. So if all the other components are the same and draw the same amount of power, is the amount of power the PSU is drawing from the wall the same, or does the 850 draw more? Is the difference basically just that the 850 has a higher top end output?

if your talking about say the HX620 and the HX850 in theory the HX850 should have a lower draw from the wall do to it being more efficient
the 620 tops out at 80%ish and the 850 starts at 85%ish with an avg load of 350 to 450 w the 850 is more like 90% so the 850 if your looking only at AC load is better and that doesnt even count that better DC side of the HX850

The amount of power drawn will be relative to the efficiency of the power supply. So if the 850 is more efficient, it will actually draw less.

You are correct in saying the 850 will only have a higher peak output.

(edit LOL @ ninja ^)

Ah, cool, ok, always wondered about that. I didn't necessarily mean Corsairs per se, just that it was a convenient example. :) So there's no harm in getting a larger PSU because potentially the only money you're wasting would be the higher price for a bigger PSU.

Ah, cool, ok, always wondered about that. I didn't necessarily mean Corsairs per se, just that it was a convenient example. :) So there's no harm in getting a larger PSU because potentially the only money you're wasting would be the higher price for a bigger PSU.

the main reason i went to the HX850 was that for the same load it uses less power then then HX620

^ I got the exact same results with my seasonic. At full OCCT PSU test load, it's 20-30w less than my HX620 was pulling. I used a kill-a-watt to check last night. The 12v line is more stable too (closer to 12)

right and i leave my PC on 24/7 so that 25w or so adds up :D

^ I got the exact same results with my seasonic. At full OCCT PSU test load, it's 20-30w less than my HX620 was pulling. I used a kill-a-watt to check last night. The 12v line is more stable too (closer to 12)

So we have a winner :D. I was just thinking last night to go with the seasonic for your very reasons. The 2 psu's are both great corsair being a newer model, but costs as much as the seasonic x750.

If money was no issue; I would go for the x750, but I am trying to stay closer to the $100 mark. I could get another TP-750, but would like a better quality psu.
Could also go for the non-modular s12D 750/850 but thats a lot of cables to hide that I do not need.

So bottom line is the $140 the seasonic costs seems like the best choice. only slightly more than the TP-750 but better quality and only $20 more than non-modular seasonic.

Seasonic gets my vote...now time to order one. If prices drop a little on the x650/750, I will then buy one of those.

Just think of it this way, Im not sure if corsair is produced by seasonic but they make the majority of rebranded PSUs out there. Obviously they will keep and produce the best models of a particular PSU. I got an 850 M12D and have an i7 @ 4ghz and a GTX 275 and it runs that fine. I have had no problems with it.

Just switched from my HX620 to an X750, very happy with it. On the power side, (using a kill-a-watt) it's pulling 20-30w less when testing in LinX or playing a game, but much more importantly, all of the squeaks and chirping I was hearing from the system, especially when playing games, are gone! Thank goodness, because that was the main thing I was hoping for.

Just think of it this way, Im not sure if corsair is produced by seasonic but they make the majority of rebranded PSUs out there. Obviously they will keep and produce the best models of a particular PSU. I got an 850 M12D and have an i7 @ 4ghz and a GTX 275 and it runs that fine. I have had no problems with it.
The HX850 is not manufactured by Seasonic.

MJZ, you really should amend your statment as it is very misleading. Yes most of Corsair's higher wattage PSUs are made by CWT. However their high-end HX series is composed of Seasonic and CWT. Higher wattage does not mean higher end.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

MJZ, you really should amend your statment as it is very misleading. Yes most of Corsair's higher wattage PSUs are made by CWT. However their high-end HX series is composed of Seasonic and CWT. Higher wattage does not mean higher end.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

In a way it does... higher end = more expensive. I believe all of the current HXs (650+) are made by CWT. I would not call the HX650 a high end supply though, it usually sells for around $100-120 bucks. It's definitely the best 650W supply you can buy for the money.

In a way it does... higher end = more expensive. I believe all of the current HXs (650+) are made by CWT. I would not call the HX650 a high end supply though, it usually sells for around $100-120 bucks. It's definitely the best 650W supply you can buy for the money.
Higher-end generally means higher-quality, not necessarily more expensive. Also, the HX650 is made by Seasonic, not CWT, and I wouldn't consider it to be the best 650W PSU out there, for the money or otherwise (although it is certainly a good unit).

Higher-end generally means higher-quality, not necessarily more expensive. Also, the HX650 is made by Seasonic, not CWT, and I wouldn't consider it to be the best 650W PSU out there, for the money or otherwise (although it is certainly a good unit).

For a modular unit, what's better at around $100-120?

Antec Truepower New, Silverstone Strider Plus. And there are non-modular units like the Seasonic S12D series as well.

What makes those better? Perhaps the new Truepowers are good, but the scary stories of overheating Antec supplies suck. Silverstone support is incomparable to Corsair or Antec.

What makes those better? Perhaps the new Truepowers are good, but the scary stories of overheating Antec supplies suck. Silverstone support is incomparable to Corsair or Antec.

Newer PSU designs, better parts selection, better ripple/voltage control, etc. Remember that the 650HX is essentially based on the same Seasonic platform of the 620HX which was released over three years ago. The PSUs that Zero82z mentioned are based on more recent and improved PSU designs.

What stories are you talking about? Are you talking about the old Truepower 2.0 and Smartpower series?

Oh and Higher-end != more expensive all the time. I can think of a few expensive PSUs out there that are crappier than other PSUs half or 2/3rds the price of those expensive PSUs. In addition, compared to other PSUs in the $100 to $120, the Corsair 650HX is higher-end. There are certainly higher-end PSUs than the Corsair 650HX in terms of price and quality but compared to other PSUs (I've seen HEC, FSP, and Apevia, Rosewill, Coolmax PSUs in that range) in that price range, the 650HX is still a high-end PSU.

Perhaps the new Truepowers are good, but the scary stories of overheating Antec supplies suck.
Now in TP New we speak about Seasonic OEM with new M12D modified platform and in old TP/SP we speak about Topower and their infamous Fuhjyyu caps.

Back