Corsair HX650W or XFX 650W? Or, something different entirely?

Jack Flash

Gawd
I'm still looking for a PSU for my new build, and am thinking around 650W.

I ordered an HX650W from Amazon but got unlucky with two bad coil whine in a row, and am considering going a different direction.

Amazon has the HX650W for $120 after rebate and the XFX for $90. I'd prefer the Corsair for the warranty, fixed cables (don't want a bunch of extra's on a modular unit) and the flat cabling,but the XFX has a price advantage.

Was my two in a row bad luck completely random? Any other great units for around the price range? (Big bonus if sold by Amazon)

The alternative to the Corsair 650W seems to be the Antec New TP-650. It's quite a great unit - partly modular (the main lines are fixed - but the additional molex/SATA & PCIe are modular)

The XFX and Corsair PSUs are basically identical. Flip a coin.

They're the same OEM?

Also, anyone know if there's a difference in the "Gray" Edition XFX? I can't find much info on it, but I think I like the more subdued styling.

They're the same OEM?

Also, anyone know if there's a difference in the "Gray" Edition XFX? I can't find much info on it, but I think I like the more subdued styling.

Yeah Seasonic makes the XFX and Corsair 650HX/650TX PSUs. In fact, they're based on the same platforms IIRC. No real difference in the Gray edition. Still Seasonic made IIRC.

Poking around online I've seen that the XFX is actually a PC Power & Cooling device; that correct?

Poking around online I've seen that the XFX is actually a PC Power & Cooling device; that correct?

At one time, PC Power & Cooling was made by Seasonic. Seasonic apparently had extra PCBs printed up with the PC Power & Cooling logo. After a time, when their relationship ended for whatever reason, they put the PCBs into XFX PSUs.

There is almost zero functional difference between the HX650 and that XFX 650W save for the cable setup, the warranty, and maybe a few components inside. (we specify certain capacitors and other internal components).

At one time, PC Power & Cooling was made by Seasonic. Seasonic apparently had extra PCBs printed up with the PC Power & Cooling logo. After a time, when their relationship ended for whatever reason, they put the PCBs into XFX PSUs.

The relationship between PC Power & Cooling and Seasonic ended a year or two after OCZ bought the former back in 2007. The only reason why PCP&C continued selling Seasonic-made PSUs for a couple of years after the OCZ takeover is that OCZ had to honor PCP&C's existing contract with that manufacturer. That contract expired about a year ago, and the PCP&C Silencer line is now using the same OEM as many of OCZ's own-branded PSUs (Sirfa, which was spun completely out of Sirtec in late 2008).

The relationship between PC Power & Cooling and Seasonic ended a year or two after OCZ bought the former back in 2007. The only reason why PCP&C continued selling Seasonic-made PSUs for a couple of years after the OCZ takeover is that OCZ had to honor PCP&C's existing contract with that manufacturer. That contract expired about a year ago, and the PCP&C Silencer line is now using the same OEM as many of OCZ's own-branded PSUs (Sirfa, which was spun completely out of Sirtec in late 2008).

Thanks, I don't really know the inner workings of OCZ/PC Power & Cooling so it's interesting to read.

Thanks, I don't really know the inner workings of OCZ/PC Power & Cooling so it's interesting to read.

You mean, you aren't a double agent?

Although I do have to wonder, if they planned to ditch Seasonic when a contract ran out...then why bother bringing out the Silencer 910....how long was that on the market? 4 or 5 months at most.

You mean, you aren't a double agent?

Although I do have to wonder, if they planned to ditch Seasonic when a contract ran out...then why bother bringing out the Silencer 910....how long was that on the market? 4 or 5 months at most.

The 910 was in production at the time the contract ran out. So, OCZ had to fulfill its production quota of that model PSU.

And OCZ did not exactly ditch Seasonic. They simply opted not to renew the contract (perhaps because they found that they could get a "better" deal with another manufacturer?).

Back