• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair HX vs. TX

One has more reviews than the other because more people have reviewed it.. Prob because the HX much more expensive and because it hasn't been out all that long. HX is better quality overall and is also modular. TX is still a very good quality power supply. Personally, I wouldn't pay $70 more for the HX.
 
On newegg, why does the 750 TX have over 1k review, but the HX only has 1...
The TX750 has been out for a long time. The HX750 has been out for only a few weeks.
Also, do all the TX and HX power supplies have the same quality? I know the 1k watt was reviewed here incredibly well, but I don't really need 1000 watts of power.
The HX series is generally quite a bit better than the TX series in terms of quality, especially when it comes to the 750W and 850W models. The TX units are based on an old CWT platform with average efficiency, mediocre ripple suppression, and good voltage regulation, whereas the new HX units use a brand new CWT platform with excellent efficiency (certified 80Plus Gold), and excellent performance across the board.

In practice, any of the TX or HX series PSUs will be able to do their job perfectly fine. However, the HX line does have much better performance, and also much better efficiency characteristics which is a very nice thing to have.
 
I wouldn't pay $170 for that HX750 at Newegg.

Heck, I just bought the HX850 at TigerDirect for $160 after cashback.
 
If you're stuck between TX vs. HX, think about your case. If you have a small case and good airflow is an issue, go with the modular HX. It keeps the unneeded cables out of your case. As its been said the HX versions are also a little quieter and more efficient, so they stay cooler.

On the contrary, if you have a large case where wire routing isn't an issue, save the money and pick the TX. Ultimately, you're still getting a good quality power supply either way, why pay more if you don't need/want the features of the HX?

I love my 620HX, modular cabling is a must have for me, I'm just that picky. :)
 
The HX 750, 850, and 1000 units are much longer than the TX and lower wattage HX series power supplies
 
HX is the professional series, and they tend to have better components, better regulation, lower noise levels, and modular cables.

TX is more of a kind of enthusiast-on-a-budget series. It's well within ATX spec, still has high-grade japanese caps and a 5 year warranty and whatnot, with good noise levels, but it's got fixed cables and is a bit cheaper usually.


The release order went something like this:
HX520 / HX620 - Launched first (2006)
VX450 / VX550 / TX650 / TX750 - Launched next, about a year later (2007)
HX1000 - Launched a bit after that (2008)
TX850 - Launched December 2008

HX750 / HX850 - Launched last month - best PSUs in the world, in my opinion. :)

Of course I'm biased.
 
Cool thanks. Lots of answers I wanted to hear. Personally my last 2 power supplies were modular and I can't imagine going back. I wouldn't think twice about spending 50 dollars for better quality, noise, and modular cabling.
 
Cool thanks. Lots of answers I wanted to hear. Personally my last 2 power supplies were modular and I can't imagine going back. I wouldn't think twice about spending 50 dollars for better quality, noise, and modular cabling.

Excellent choice. ;)
 
Cool thanks. Lots of answers I wanted to hear. Personally my last 2 power supplies were modular and I can't imagine going back. I wouldn't think twice about spending 50 dollars for better quality, noise, and modular cabling.

Without a doubt, since PSU cables are usually the ones that can make or break a cable management job.
 
Wonder how loud the HX is. Not sure I'd want to go any louder than my current TX.

You can see the noise charts on http://corsair.com/products/power_supplies.aspx

Just click the PSU you're interested, hit the RESOURCES tab, and there's a graph there with the noise profile. To be perfectly honest, the only ones I can hear are a TX750 or TX850 when they're near full load on the Chroma tester. In a system running multiple video cards and running a high-end game, the GPU fans will almost always drown out the PSU noise.
 
TX is not a high end psu, is fine for running a mild OCed rig with few drives and a powerfull card, HX is more high end for higher oc and better current regulation. The current regulation of the TX sucks ass.
 
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes i do, i can clock my D0 with lower voltage and higher speeds with my enermax revo 85+, so i think there has something to do with ripple noise. Yes it sucks ass. I may have no idea but these guys like Oklahoma Wolf or reviwers at Jonny Guru does so search for facts b4 you speak up like a fanboy. I had the TX750 for 3 weeks and it sucked ass.
The TX750W does a really good job at being above average but it misses the boat on being awesome. The 12V ripple is a tad high and that 80mV whoopty do in test 6 kind of stop the awesomeness from happening. That and the less than stellar 3.3V regulation in the hotbox bring it down from a potential 10 to a well deserved 8.5


Performance - Much like its little brother, the VX550, this unit does its job well. Regulation is adequate and efficiency is exactly what the box promised as long as you don't crossload it. But, regulation could stand to be better - we may be reaching the upper limits of this platform. Not to mention the "baffling" performance of that fan. I think I'll vote for an 8.5 here.

source:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=73
 
Last edited:
This quote prove otherwise:
The current regulation of the TX sucks ass.
There is no "current regulation" so to speak. The current supplied by the PSU depends on the components connected to it.
i can clock my D0 with lower voltage and higher speeds with my enermax revo 85+, so i think there has something to do with ripple noise. Yes it sucks ass. I may have no idea but these guys like Oklahoma Wolf or reviwers at Jonny Guru does so search for facts b4 you speak up like a fanboy. I had the TX750 for 3 weeks and it sucked ass.
Like I have mentioned to you in the past, any problems you have had with the TX750 were almost certainly due to a faulty PSU. 80mV of ripple on the +12V rails, although slightly high, is still well within specifications and will not do anything bad to your components, nor will it reduce your overclock. And before you criticize me for not researching my facts or being a fanboy, aside from the fact that I actually do know what I'm talking about, you should take a look at my post history:
The HX series is generally quite a bit better than the TX series in terms of quality, especially when it comes to the 750W and 850W models. The TX units are based on an old CWT platform with average efficiency, mediocre ripple suppression, and good voltage regulation, whereas the new HX units use a brand new CWT platform with excellent efficiency (certified 80Plus Gold), and excellent performance across the board.


So stop spouting nonsense, and perhaps do a little learning yourself before you comment again. The TX PSUs may not be the most fantastic units out there, but they are certainly not the bottom-of-the-barrel junk you're making them out to be.
 
This quote prove otherwise:

There is no "current regulation" so to speak. The current supplied by the PSU depends on the components connected to it.

Like I have mentioned to you in the past, any problems you have had with the TX750 were almost certainly due to a faulty PSU. 80mV of ripple on the +12V rails, although slightly high, is still well within specifications and will not do anything bad to your components, nor will it reduce your overclock. And before you criticize me for not researching my facts or being a fanboy, aside from the fact that I actually do know what I'm talking about, you should take a look at my post history:



So stop spouting nonsense, and perhaps do a little learning yourself before you comment again. The TX PSUs may not be the most fantastic units out there, but they are certainly not the bottom-of-the-barrel junk you're making them out to be.

Oh sorry here u go now thx to your arguments you've made the TX750 better than what really is. Gotta love the internet and fanboys. I don't have a high technical idea but i do know the results i get from my components and hte TX wasn't what i expected.
Got another friend who bought the TX750 against my advise and is hitting the same wall. Yeah right gotta be another bad psu.
 
easy with the hyperbole guys. Just because the ripple specs are not as good as another power supply in no way means it "sucks ass"

The op got his answer, from the horses mouth no less. HX = newer and better than TX

/thread

/be nice mmkay :)
 
TX ripple at its worst is still around 80% of the ATX max spec, last I checked.

I don't think it's fair to say it sucks ass. Are there PSUs with better specs? Sure. But for the price I think it's one of the best you can buy.
 
In arguments, I tend to side towards those who don't sound like they learned to speak English via the internet :)
 
I don't see why some are getting their panties in a bunch. Even though the TX series are not as good as HX... they are at least a whole lot better than most of your other PSUs on the market.
 
I used an 850TX to power the system in my sig without any problems. I even had a D0 that I clocked up to 4.4ghz with my GPU's clocked to 700/1400/100 and I would game for hours with no artifacts, BSOD's, restarts, hard locks, or any other problems. The PSU did run quite warm though.

I can't tell you which PSU to pick, but my 850TX did everything I could hope for and more. Would it take that kind of abuse for years...I don't know and I wouldn't try it.
 
TX ripple at its worst is still around 80% of the ATX max spec, last I checked.

I don't think it's fair to say it sucks ass. Are there PSUs with better specs? Sure. But for the price I think it's one of the best you can buy.

Don't worry, any time anyone mentions a Corsair Fafeifa has to run in and say "yeah I don't like Corsair, because I can't overclock with it". Then go on about pimping the Enermax Revolution.

Guess he doesn't realize that maybe he got a defective one (which is also possible with the Enermax), or the PSU had nothing to do with his overclocking failure.
 
Don't worry, any time anyone mentions a Corsair Fafeifa has to run in and say "yeah I don't like Corsair, because I can't overclock with it". Then go on about pimping the Enermax Revolution.

Guess he doesn't realize that maybe he got a defective one (which is also possible with the Enermax), or the PSU had nothing to do with his overclocking failure.

Oh great i got a defective unit that explains everything, unless you pay my return shipping i am still out of money just to hope to get a better unit which i believe it won't so keep
those fluffery to yourself. I did see a nother TX750 having the same "issues" as mine so i guess is just my friend and i got 2 deffective units. Well i do recall the TX750 didn't cost $90 when it was released as it was marketed as a high end psu which is not. I have no gripes or any sour taste which you all seem to make.
The PSU does have a lot to do with OC failure otherwise i'd be fine with a coolmax.
 
Last edited:
I have no gripes or any sour taste which you all seem to make.

Then why do you only show up when there is a thread about a Corsair PSU to say that you don't trust them and how much better luck you have had with Enermax? It sounds too much like shilling to me.
 
I own a Revo 85+ 850W, and just switched to an HX850. The reason: apparently Enermax PSU's have issues with the fans they use, in that after a few weeks or so, they either start clicking and/or squeaking. It's not loud, but for those building a quiet system or water cool, it gets annoying.

There are threads on the Silent PC forums about the modulo 82+ having this same problem, and wouldn't you know it, they still haven't fixed it. I've RMA'ed twice, and every time, the unit starts acting up again after some use. The frustrating thing is it's really hard to swap out the fan because they split the fan connector so you can have a external tach connection to your motherboard to monitor the fan speed. Grrrrrr.
 
I just bought the Corsair HX850W for $CAN 180 + GST (free shipping).
For comparison purposes, the TX850W can be found for $CAN 120 (after $33 MIR).
I just found out that there is a compatibility issue (boot up problems) between the Tagan BZ 800W and the EVGA X58 SLI.:mad:

I know that the HX is a bit pricey but I really wanted a modular PSU.
The HX's efficiency is around 90% and it comes with a 7 years warranty.

Now, let's hope that my new PSU will be compatible with whatever motherboard I eventually upgrade to...
 
Last edited:
Then why do you only show up when there is a thread about a Corsair PSU to say that you don't trust them and how much better luck you have had with Enermax? It sounds too much like shilling to me.

Yeah. And seeing as Corsairs are selling like hot cakes these days, I'm amazed all those overclockers out there haven't come out in droves and said the PSUs crap for OC'ing. Oh wait... could it be because it isn't the case? :D

Fafeifa said:
Well i do recall the TX750 didn't cost $90 when it was released as it was marketed as a high end psu which is not.

The TX series have never been marketed as high end PSUs. Corsair techs here have themselves said that the HX series are their high end, not the TX (nor VX).
 
I love my HX-1000. Pair of 280s, 9800 for physx, raid and OCed 920 to 3,6 (yeah, not the record, but it keeps the temps still in order :p) had absolutely no problems with noise. Cable managment is a bless, and power is stable. Best PSU I ever had.
 
I have both an HX, and a VX.

My Gaming Rig...
Q9550 (currently OC'd to 3.6GHz)
Radeon 4870 1GB
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Corsair 520HX PSU (was in my P4, but it seems to do fine powering my brand new upgrade).

My Folding Rig...
Q6600 (currently OC'd to 3.2GHz)
Integrated graphics
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 RAM
Corsair 450VX PSU

Both PSUs have been perfect so far. Very quiet, and never a hiccup. I have no complaints whatsoever. If I was buying a new PSU today, I would get the 850HX, though I don't have the need at the moment.
 
My brother has a TX850 and it has been nothing but spectacular for him. He is running a 4850 crossfire setup and a OC 720BE.

Redbeard is right on the fact that you can't hear it over the GPU's anyways.....
 
This post makes me SO happy that I chose the HX850 over the TX850. I bought it based simply because I wanted a Corsair PSU, and I wanted a modular PSU. I dont believe the hype that the TX is crap, that simply isnt true, they wouldnt be so popular if they were. But reading that the HX is in fact better, and quieter (which is a key for me) I am VERY happy.
 
I just love the HX series. After using modular PSUs, I dont think I can ever go back. Most PSUs just have way too many more cables than the average user needs.
 
Back
Top