Corsair HX 650W - enough for ATI 5970?

phinix

Gawd
Is that PSU enough for dual chip card like 5970 or new nvidia Fermi card (deual chip)?
I know Fermiis not out yet, but would it be enough for 5970?

No. If you look in the system requirements the number of amps you need is about 850W. My 5970 runs on a HX850

And that's if you are using single rail like that HX. Multiple rails you'll have to do the math.

Is that PSU enough for dual chip card like 5970 or new nvidia Fermi card (deual chip)?
I know Fermiis not out yet, but would it be enough for 5970?
Yes, it's plenty for a single card, even a dual-GPU one.

I ran 5970 just fine on a 550w PSU (BFG). Didn't overclock the videocard but CPU was oc'ed a little bit (i7, too). The specs require a 650w minimum PSU so you should be fine but if you want to oc it (which is its purpose) then you'd want a beefier PSU

Probably fine even if you overclocked the crap out of it.

The 5970 overclocked with an i7 overclocked draws about 540W @ at the wall (this is with Furmark maxing the card). The HX650 is capable of delivering 650W to the system.

Take a rough estimate of 80% efficiency and the hx650 is capable of handling a load of 780w drawn at the wall.

I'd say the HX650w can handle an overclocked 5970 with room to spare.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/18/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5970_video_card_review/7

The 5970 overclocked with an i7 overclocked draws about 540W @ at the wall (this is with Furmark maxing the card).

Extremely misleading. There are many levels of overclocking both CPU and GPU, which affect the load greatly. Besides, Furmark loads ONLY the GPU, so in the above case, loading BOTH cpu and GPU might exceed 540W by a large margin.

Extremely misleading. There are many levels of overclocking both CPU and GPU, which affect the load greatly. Besides, Furmark loads ONLY the GPU, so in the above case, loading BOTH cpu and GPU might exceed 540W by a large margin.

Well.... a 5970 could not possibly draw more than around 300W of power. Assuming an overclocked i7 system pushing 350W is a lot... of voltage.

I would easily bet money that a maxed out 5970 + a 4.2ghz i7 + 6gb RAM + 1 HD + 1 Optical + some fans is still under 650W. The HX should be deliver 650W, maybe even more.

Yes, it's plenty for a single card, even a dual-GPU one.

Yes it should be enough

Xbit actually uses shunts to measure the current their cards are pulling and they maxed out at no more than 205W just for the card in Furmark

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5970_5.html#sect0
Out of all the posts in this thread, I'm gonna just fall back and go along with these two posts since I know the two above are experts when it comes to PSUs.

Well.... a 5970 could not possibly draw more than around 300W of power. Assuming an overclocked i7 system pushing 350W is a lot... of voltage.

I would easily bet money that a maxed out 5970 + a 4.2ghz i7 + 6gb RAM + 1 HD + 1 Optical + some fans is still under 650W. The HX should be deliver 650W, maybe even more.

Are you kidding me? :eek: 5970 was designed to fit into 300W envelope but when you oc'ing it, you are gonna be pulling much more than that :rolleyes: As for i7, a lot depends on voltage and using HT etc, plus who anyone who's overclocking has a beefy cooling system (lots of fans or watercooling), so your estimation that 650w is enough for overclocked 5970+oc'ed i7 is laughable at the least. Someone might even say it's criminal to suggest a 650w PSU for oc'ing such high-specced rig with i7 and 5970 'cause your 'advice' might lead to the loss of thousands of dollars of investment :mad: Next time, before you say something, do some research first ;)

listen to Zero, Danny and the gang. Bunch of smart SOB's right there. MJZ you are not qualified to give advice so go away

850W!? LOL.

Just in case you hadn't decided by now, one more "Yes," and another Zero82/Danny Bui endorsement. And while I'm at it, a Corsair 650HX endorsement.

You should be fine on a 650W, no need to splash out on an 850/1000 watter

Guys guys! Thank you all for help:) I better stop it before you start to kill each other.
Funny thing how those PSU and power requirements threads become controversial, dont you think?:))

Anyway, like you said 650W would be fine. I decided to go with 750W Antec modular. Its small and nice plus that additional 100W is always a good thing, price was similar so why not.

Thank you again for help!

MJZ you are not qualified to give advice so go away

Dude, back off. Yes, there are lots of regulars here who know a thing or two about system power requirements, but just because someone else chimes in doesn't make them 'unqualified'. I'd be surprised if many here had any 'qualification', except perhaps a few electrical engineers.

Are you kidding me? :eek: 5970 was designed to fit into 300W envelope but when you oc'ing it, you are gonna be pulling much more than that :rolleyes: As for i7, a lot depends on voltage and using HT etc, plus who anyone who's overclocking has a beefy cooling system (lots of fans or watercooling), so your estimation that 650w is enough for overclocked 5970+oc'ed i7 is laughable at the least. Someone might even say it's criminal to suggest a 650w PSU for oc'ing such high-specced rig with i7 and 5970 'cause your 'advice' might lead to the loss of thousands of dollars of investment :mad: Next time, before you say something, do some research first ;)

Voila: 642 Watts Overclocked 5970 with an overclocked i7. Trying to say OCCT is going to be drawing less power than normal usage? Hah!

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/5970_111809000008/20719.png

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679

Research... :rolleyes:

/End Thread.

MJZ, are you dumb or just pretending? Do you understand that there are many various settings that affect the power draw? Even if in this particular example it's 642W, it's rather pretty close to 650W, didn't it occur to you AT ALL that a slight variation in overclocking or system configuration might put it way OVER 650W? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
MJZ, are you dumb or just pretending? Do you understand that there are many various settings that affect the power draw? Even in this particular example it's 642W, it's rather pretty close to 650W, didn't it occur to you AT ALL that a slight variation in overclocking or system configuration might put it way OVER 650W? :rolleyes:

Did it occur to you to read the article or know what OCCT actually is? This 642W is close to the worst case scenario. A system with an overclocked i7 and 5970 in non-OCCT usage should not come close.

Did it occur to you to read the article or know what OCCT actually is? This 642W is close to the worst case scenario. A system with an overclocked i7 and 5970 in non-OCCT usage should not come close.
All I can say is WOW. The level of ignorance in your case is just shocking.

All I can say is WOW. The level of ignorance in your case is just shocking.

"Ignorance" while you were calling this setup running under 650W "laughable and criminal ....and need to do more research"?

Typical.

OMG, do you even realize that running the PSU at near its limit is dangerous in itself? Or, as I many times told you, there are many variables in overclocking, all of which affect the power draw... but since you are not getting it, I think I'll just put you into ignore rather than listen to your BS

OMG, do you even realize that running the PSU at near its limit is dangerous in itself? Or, as I many times told you, there are many variables in overclocking, all of which affect the power draw... but since you are not getting it, I think I'll just put you into ignore rather than listen to your BS

Oh EM Gee, do you even realize you will never be running at 642W in actual usage?

If you don't like what people have to say, ignore them. Good policy. Please do not listen to my BS. Sometimes I forget I used be the average age level on these forums back in the day.

OK, let's get back to the point.

The anandtech article seems to suggest that a high end system with an overclocked 5970 draws around 650W, so on that evidence it would be wise to run a PSU with a little headroom above that - say a 750W-850W. Whether or not you would risk it with a 650W is your call.

But the OP didn't say anything about overclocking, and for running a 5970 without overclocking and nothing else too power hungry in the system I would say you'd be safe with a quality 650W.
Just make sure the HX model provides enough juice on the relevant rails, as it's a dual-rail design.

The anandtech article seems to suggest that a high end system with an overclocked 5970 draws around 650W, so on that evidence it would be wise to run a PSU with a little headroom above that - say a 750W-850W. Whether or not you would risk it with a 650W is your call.

But the OP didn't say anything about overclocking, and for running a 5970 without overclocking and nothing else too power hungry in the system I would say you'd be safe with a quality 650W.
Just make sure the HX model provides enough juice on the relevant rails, as it's a dual-rail design.

Dude, did you miss the OP's post about him going for 750w? After that, this thread lost it's purpose, so there nothing to get "back to" :p

Although, I whole-heartedly agree with your post, 650w is not enough for heavily overclocked i7+5970. I wonder if MJZ would actually put his money where his mouth is and build i7+5970 rig and oc the hell out of it on a 650w PSU... kinda doubt it :cool:

Voila: 642 Watts Overclocked 5970 with an overclocked i7. Trying to say OCCT is going to be drawing less power than normal usage? Hah!

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/5970_111809000008/20719.png

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679

Research... :rolleyes:

/End Thread.
MJZ, are you dumb or just pretending? Do you understand that there are many various settings that affect the power draw? Even if in this particular example it's 642W, it's rather pretty close to 650W, didn't it occur to you AT ALL that a slight variation in overclocking or system configuration might put it way OVER 650W? :rolleyes:
642W from the wall. That translates to about 520W DC load assuming typical PSU efficiency. And that is a worst-case scenario. So 650W is plenty.

That's not true. The 650HX is a single 12V rail @ 52A.

642W from the wall. That translates to about 520W DC load assuming typical PSU efficiency. And that is a worst-case scenario. So 650W is plenty.

Easy to say. Now, would you actually put your money where you mouth is? that's entirely different story, isn't it? I mean, you are not RISKING anything by saying that, are you? After all, it's someone else who follows your advice, builds and overclocks a system with some indeterminate results who is at risk, not you.

Easy to say. Now, would you actually put your money where you mouth is? that's entirely different story, isn't it? I mean, you are not RISKING anything by saying that, are you? After all, it's someone else who follows your advice, builds and overclocks a system with some indeterminate results who is at risk, not you.

It is also easy for people to say "no you need more power" when it isn't their money that is being spent...see that door swings both ways.

Where exactly did the OP mention overclocking?

My bad, I thought all the HX series were multi-rail, like the 620HX.
Every Corsair PSU is single-rail, except for the HX1000.
I can't afford to buy a 5970 and HX650 just to prove my point. However, if you would like to provide the funding for me to perform such an experiment, I would be happy to oblige.

Every Corsair PSU is single-rail, except for the HX1000.

According to their website the HX620 and HX520 have three 12V rails, although there is a power sharing feature to deal with rail overloading (is that what you're refering to?).

Or is there something I'm not aware of?

I distinctly remember a couple of years ago when it was fashionable to have multiple rails and the HX620 was PSU of choice, was everyone being deceived?

Or is there something I'm not aware of?

I distinctly remember a couple of years ago when it was fashionable to have multiple rails and the HX620 was PSU of choice, was everyone being deceived?

Yup. As Zero82z said, the 520HX and 620HX are single rail PSUs. The multi-rail labeling was a printing error (they were using an old prototype) that was not caught in time. By the time it was caught, it would've been too cost prohibitive to fix those labels. As such, Corsair just decided to let everyone think the 620HX/520HX was a multi-rail setup when it really isn't. That is a bit decieving but it's not that major. Since the total amperage on the +12V rail still adds up the same if it was a single rail design and the fact that it really doesn't matter in 99% of PC setups whether or not the PSU is multi or single rail, that "deception" is nothing.

Any half-way decent PSU review should at least show the Corsair 620HX or 520HX being a single rail PSU.

Back