Corsair H50 Worth It?

WasntMe

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if anyone is uing (or has used) the Corsair H50 in their rig.

It's been out for a while now and I see the reviews are mixed at best. The thread on this forum starts out bad gets worse then gets better then worse and so on.

I was going to pair it with an 965 BE and do some OC in an Antec Nine Hundred case. Is that not optimal for this unit or should I look at the True or something else air cooled? Already bought the H50 but haven't gotten it in the mail yet.

I had the H50 on a 720BE overclocked to 3.7ghz. Kept it icy cold even at the somewhat high voltages I had to use to get it past 3.6. I had it attached to an intake fan in a push/pull setup though.

There is an 11 page sticky if you look "up".
Also more in the watercooling subforum including an installation video sticky you def want to watch while waiting for the UPS truck.

I really haven't seen many bad reviews of it, the only negatives I've seen are if people don't install it right, they got a bad unit, or if OC'ing past 4GHz.

I have one on my Phenom II 925 OC'd to 3.2 GHz, my idle temps are between 28-32C, full load I never even see it over 40C, so yea it really kicks ass in my setup :) Pretty much ambient room temps for me.

The h50 is and ok I had one on my 955 and at 3.8 whit high volts it would get to 60c ish whit room temp about 70ish. Wasn't happy whit the temps so I mooded the thing whit a biger pump and uesed a 12000btu. Window uint condenseer as my radator and my temps at 4gh and 1.575 my temps are right under 50. At 3.8 its low 40s and nb at 2.8 any one know if thes are good temps?

I have 3 of the H50 in working systems so I guess you could say I like it. Have had one in service since they first became available. You have to play with the fan orientation of the entire system to get optimal results. 2 medium speed fans in push pull give the best noise vs. performance. If you have air blowing in like I do you have to have exhaust fans in the top of the case. It is as good as any high end air cooler I have owned. The thing that I really like about the H50 is the "lack of clutter" (best way I can describe it) around the CPU after installation. No worry about memory clearance, easy to change out CPU, good access to other components.

Cool. I have an Antec Nine Hundred case with a huge fan set to exhaust air from the top. Can't wait to set it all up!

The h50 is and ok I had one on my 955 and at 3.8 whit high volts it would get to 60c ish whit room temp about 70ish. Wasn't happy whit the temps so I mooded the thing whit a biger pump and uesed a 12000btu. Window uint condenseer as my radator and my temps at 4gh and 1.575 my temps are right under 50. At 3.8 its low 40s and nb at 2.8 any one know if thes are good temps?

I'd like to see a picture of this mod, if you have one!

It is as good as any high end air cooler I have owned. The thing that I really like about the H50 is the "lack of clutter" (best way I can describe it) around the CPU after installation. No worry about memory clearance, easy to change out CPU, good access to other components.

This pretty much sums up what I've seen with my ECO and heard about the H50. Compared to a good air cooler, they have about the same cooling area (120mm), so they tend to cool similarly. The ECO/H50 does clear up quite a bit of space and weight around the CPU though. This thread has details of my ECO installation.

The remote radiator setup allows you to get cool outside air to cool the CPU, dropping its temps. That does push the CPU-heated air into your case, but note that the hot air off a regular heatsink is in your case too (though it's usually close to an exhaust fan). If you have other exhaust fans near the H50 radiator, then that heat should be leaving the case quickly regardless. If you don't have many exhaust fans and you do have to push that hot air all the way through your case, it could increase your system temps a bit.

I'd like to see a picture of this mod, if you have one!

I'd be interested in seeing it too, but I doubt this is very cost effective. If you're going to replace most of the H50-specific parts anyway, you might as well just build a custom loop.

I love it, holds my i7 920 at around ~65*C while f@h is at 100% and its dead silent...

I'd be interested in seeing it too, but I doubt this is very cost effective. If you're going to replace most of the H50-specific parts anyway, you might as well just build a custom loop.

I got the h50 form BB And I had a $75 gift card so I cost me next to nothging. I got the pump form a store closing its a.12v jabco par max 3.5 gpm at 60 psi and good for up to 32 feet of head and it makes no noise for like $80 or some thing. I have it set uo so its pump- big ass radotor-H50 cpu block-H50 rad- then back to pump. The h 50 rad does nothing for temps its there so if I just whant to trun off the big fan on the condenser and have temps in the uper 30s idle - 60 load vs whit the fan low 30 idle and load never brakes 50 at 4gz 1.575 vcore 2.8nb at 1.5v at stock seting it idles in the low 20 load like 32 or so. Room temps are 70ish . I'll take some pics when I get home its not 100% done yet though

push pull setup on mine keeps the 930 4Ghz cool and stable. And it actually will fit in most cases as opposed to those gigantic copper heatsinks it competes with

I'm happy with mine. Managing a 3.8 OC on my q9550. (C1)

I also agree with the "lack of clutter" comment. My 800D looks pretty damn neat and tidy with the H50. It looked butt ugly with the Noctua tower in there.

I dont want to threadjack but I didnt want to start a new one for the sake of redundancy but is it worth buying an H50 if I currently have a Noctua NH-U12P SE?

I'm looking for quietness really...

It's definitely not worth it IMO.
There's quite a few different air coolers that are on par or out perform the H50 for around the same price. One of the reasons the H50 has sold so well is because of the Corsair name and marketing. Remember, this isn't the first single 120mm rad h2o kit that's been released ;)
People buy into things way too easily, that's why it's always entertaining to read these H50 threads. The one's who are actually knowledgeable in the cooling scene know that the H50 isn't that great of a cooler ;)

You don't need to be "knowledgeable in the cooling scene" to know that some air cooler can work better than the H50. It a little bit more fun with the H50 then it is with an air cooler. It's not as big, it can be quieter and it doesn't clutter the case with a 50 pound air cooling apparatus dangling form the middle of your motherboard.

Those are the reasons I decided to go for it, well that and because it's something new to try out, that performs as well as some high end air coolers. I can amuse the kids NOT in the know about my "high tech, advanced water cooling". ;)

Installed tonight and I love it. Install was a pain in the ass a little bit but it wasn't too bad. Up and running.

Got my 965BE running at 3917! Prime95 full load after and our the temp was 49! Can't believe the results tbh. My 6000+ was at 59degrees full load with a not too shabby ac.

nice, i really want one but dont want to pay 80 bucks. I have a 10% coupon but still.

nice, i really want one but dont want to pay 80 bucks. I have a 10% coupon but still.

It goes on sale at Best Buy every so often for $59. If you have one nearby I'd just wait until you see it there for the sale price. That's how I got mine. :)

Would a CoolIT ECO be comparable? They appear to be very similar. I am calling frys to see if they have it for 65 bucks...If they do, I think ill get it. I

Would a CoolIT ECO be comparable? They appear to be very similar. I am calling frys to see if they have it for 65 bucks...If they do, I think ill get it. I

There is a $15 MIR at zipzoomfly for the H50. It expires at the end of May. I'd go with one that is more trusted (i.e. many more reviews available).

Back