Corsair CX750 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

wow..what a sh*t show.. I'm sad to see the downward trend of the corsair power supplies... it seems so many companies build a reputation for quality and then squander it by letting quality slide...

I am a huge Corsair fan.

I am typing on a Corsair keyboard, and using a Corsair mouse. I even had a Corsair headset at one time, and the only reason I don't have an 800D for a case is because the Fractcal Design R4 appealed much more to me. But inside my case is a TX1000 and about 16 gigs of Corsair memory. I'm even using one of their AIO's, the specific model escaping me at the moment. My Klipsch Promedia's are still going strong, else I'd have gotten their speaker system when it hit the shelves. (So strong in fact that I have to keep the subwoofer off, or else I face noise complaints.)

I may not be the biggest Corsair fan nor do I own any of them (the ones I have now refuse to quit) but I have to say that seeing reviews like this are a slap to the face of people like me, who are brand loyal not because of fancy bells and whistles or flashy gimmicks, but because the product lineup as we have known it, was rock solid and amazing. Also, in the event of something not going well, the customer service was there to ensure that steps would be taken to make things right.

The first sign of all of that going away is when product quality starts falling downhill. Product quality goes downhill, then the customer service supporting that shoddy product gets taken with it. It's a pattern that almost anybody who's actually bought any particular brand name stuff off the shelf over time is familiar with.

Corsair products may have had a premium price depending on what you are getting, but they were at least worth every penny you spent. (at least in my opinion) Now I don't feel comfortable saying that anymore.

My experience with my Corsair headset breaking from an obvious design flaw (soft plastic mounts/supports where metal or a stronger plastic should be used, like my Razer Kraken headset has) was step one in seeing questionable engineering decisions. Seeing this review as well as the one for the RM750 has solidified my decision in not keeping Corsair as my go-to brand for anything anymore. I'm hoping that this will change, but I am not holding my breath at this point.

Hmm, I have the CX750M that I had to pick up a couple months ago during a slightly budget oriented snap decision oh shit my psu died moment. I hope the M is at least slightly better. :(

Can't remember if it's a CS or CX750M that's in my oldest kids computer, but it's been running an energy hog OC'd Q6600 and used for gaming daily for over a year (at least 1000 hours, probably closer to 2000 hours) so far and no odd issues with his machine. I've never loaded it hard, but it has seen two gpu's at once, about 5 HDD's, powering wireless usb dongle, anything else he plugs into the thing, and it's held on. This is also where in the summer ambient in his room can easily be 30-35*C (poor kid is on the sunny side of the house in the desert and I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't run my AC). His is the last of the old machines so a more energy efficient system is on it's way.

I think the other thing is that with budget parts the QC is going to be more varied. Hope you have a better part and not what was tested here.

Nope. Corsair's -M series tends to be of lower quality than their non-modular brothers. Otherwise, how else could they get the CX750M to be around the same price as the non-modular CX750?

Nope. That's Newegg's wacky pricing formula. The M is supposed to be more than the non-modular, but because of Newegg's algorithm of sell through versus MSRP, they priced the non-modular at a higher price than the modular.

Internally, they're both the same.

And FYI: I have not been a Technical Marketing Manager for Corsair for 9.8 years despite what Kyle set my by line to say. ;)

Nope. That's Newegg's wacky pricing formula. The M is supposed to be more than the non-modular, but because of Newegg's algorithm of sell through versus MSRP, they priced the non-modular at a higher price than the modular.

And FYI: I have not been a Technical Marketing Manager for Corsair for 9.8 years despite what Kyle set my by line to say. ;)

Ahhh I stand corrected then on the current crop of -M series Corsair PSUs.

Yikes.....you have risen from the ashes of the BFG......
Pleased to see your posts again.
Corsair has a fine rep in the GURU.:D

Yikes.....you have risen from the ashes of the BFG......
Pleased to see your posts again.
Corsair has a fine rep in the GURU.:D

Unfortunately the guru rep didn't appear to be consulted during the design of this PSU.

Unfortunately the guru rep didn't appear to be consulted during the design of this PSU.

The "guru rep" you refer to is none other than jonnyGURU himself, of jonnyguru.com, you know, the most trusted PSU review spot on the web.

I'm sure he doesn't have anything to do with the Corsair PSU line given his title.

That said....maybe he ought to send off a copy of the CX-750 review from here to his buddies over in power supplies?

I am a huge Corsair fan.

I am typing on a Corsair keyboard, and using a Corsair mouse. I even had a Corsair headset at one time, and the only reason I don't have an 800D for a case is because the Fractcal Design R4 appealed much more to me. But inside my case is a TX1000 and about 16 gigs of Corsair memory. I'm even using one of their AIO's, the specific model escaping me at the moment. My Klipsch Promedia's are still going strong, else I'd have gotten their speaker system when it hit the shelves. (So strong in fact that I have to keep the subwoofer off, or else I face noise complaints.)

I may not be the biggest Corsair fan nor do I own any of them (the ones I have now refuse to quit) but I have to say that seeing reviews like this are a slap to the face of people like me, who are brand loyal not because of fancy bells and whistles or flashy gimmicks, but because the product lineup as we have known it, was rock solid and amazing. Also, in the event of something not going well, the customer service was there to ensure that steps would be taken to make things right.

The first sign of all of that going away is when product quality starts falling downhill. Product quality goes downhill, then the customer service supporting that shoddy product gets taken with it. It's a pattern that almost anybody who's actually bought any particular brand name stuff off the shelf over time is familiar with.

Corsair products may have had a premium price depending on what you are getting, but they were at least worth every penny you spent. (at least in my opinion) Now I don't feel comfortable saying that anymore.

My experience with my Corsair headset breaking from an obvious design flaw (soft plastic mounts/supports where metal or a stronger plastic should be used, like my Razer Kraken headset has) was step one in seeing questionable engineering decisions. Seeing this review as well as the one for the RM750 has solidified my decision in not keeping Corsair as my go-to brand for anything anymore. I'm hoping that this will change, but I am not holding my breath at this point.

This, I have a vx450 which I bought about 7 years ago which is still running like a champ. I got it for $80, $30 more than its competition. I payed a premium, a premium that is worth it.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=64

I really hope that Corsair won't go down that dark road.

The "guru rep" you refer to is none other than jonnyGURU himself, of jonnyguru.com, you know, the most trusted PSU review spot on the web.

I'm sure he doesn't have anything to do with the Corsair PSU line given his title.

That said....maybe he ought to send off a copy of the CX-750 review from here to his buddies over in power supplies?

Yeah, I have totally been giving advice on power supplies based on reviews from Overclock3d, etc. I also am not active in the PSU subforum, and I also don't know what realhardtechx is.

Guys, this line of articles is blown way out of proportions - this is just a PSU. It gives power when it needs to and that's it. If something bad happens to it, you have a long warranty to handle it. If you tax it to a point of failure to provide you with enough juice, then the issue is with your other components, your power line or that it's time for a new PC. Case closed.

This whole notion of reviewing a PSU like it was a GPU or a CPU is ridiculous. Granted, the companies started this foolishness with their 'High-End-Uber-Ultra PSU' line of marketing in order to sell more (What's next? A 'Gaming Pen'? A 'Gaming Frying Pan'? A 'Gaming Quick Access Fridge for long sessions'?), but honestly, that's like reviewing a chair or a cupboard. Please stick to what matters and stop arguing about nonsense, will ya?

If a GPU produces an image why does it matter the quality? Or the frame rate? Or the features it supports? Or the power draw? It gives a picture when it needs to and that's it. If something bad happens to it, you have a long warranty to handle it. If you tax it to a point of failure to provide you with enough performance, then the issue is with your other components, your power line or that it's time for a new PC. Case closed.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but next time you should probably make it an informed opinion.

Guys, this line of articles is blown way out of proportions - this is just a PSU. It gives power when it needs to and that's it. If something bad happens to it, you have a long warranty to handle it.

For you might be just a part of the hardware, but for me is the most important part of the hardware.
I prefer to read a review about a PSU than a review about a GPU, because in the 1st you will see how much clean power it is being delivered to your system, and in the 2nd you will see how much fps can reach in a video game.
So from these 2, which one do you think is more important regarding your PC's longevity??
For me the answer is obvious!! :p

Except the fact that an image quality at a decent performance is easily discernible. A proper power wattage (or a minor lack thereof) is not. Such arrogance.

What arrogance? Just because it isn't easily perceived doesn't mean it's important. If I paid for this 750 watt power supply, I expect to get 750 watts out of it in any computing situation.

If you don't think it's important, go run a 5930k and 980 SLI on a cheap 750w Diablotek PSU. Don't come crying to us when that PSU takes out your computer or sets your house on fire.

Except the fact that an image quality at a decent performance is easily discernible. A proper power wattage (or a minor lack thereof) is not. Such arrogance.

mate, if you don't care for PSUs then maybe you should go read some gpu reviews (or whatever you want), and leave the psu reviews for those who consider them as important. :rolleyes:

You should defer to those who know what they are doing - and who are doing it on your behalf!

PSUs derate with heat and the output reduces over time and with use.
This means a hotter PSU cannot output as much, it needs to still be within spec while operating at temps our systems will see.
And a PSU that is years old wont have the same output as a new one, it will reduce.
You want the PSU to last a long time and be reliable, if it starts off unable to handle its specs as it would be used, it isnt encouraging.

An overloaded PSU can fail in a bad way, taking out other components.
Its not that common these days but there is a risk, so its better to have a PSU that minimises this risk by being able to easily handle its rated load.

PSU problems can shorten the life of components.
Premature failure is a hassle I can do without.
I also pass on my old components, I dont want them to last a short time.

I have seen some bad PSU failures.
It makes quite a stink and sometimes a mess but is entertaining I suppose when its not mine or someone I knows hardware :)

Except that no one in his right mind would try to run this kind of setup even on the best 750w PSU on the market, so your point in invalid.

And of course, if someone can afford this type of hardware, they will obviously pair it with one of the highest capacity PSU available.

Face it, you guys are just wasting keyboard strokes.

The problem is that the PSU is specced at a temperature that will be exceeded by a lot of users, where it fails to provide rated output.
The [H] review demonstrated this.
So the point is entirely valid.

Except that no one in his right mind would try to run this kind of setup even on the best 750w PSU on the market, so your point in invalid.

And of course, if someone can afford this type of hardware, they will obviously pair it with one of the highest capacity PSU available.

Face it, you guys are just wasting keyboard strokes.

Oh yeah? What about people buying used parts? GTX 580s are under $150, i7 9xx are under $80, and they are very power hungry when overclocked.

Your cost argument is invalid.

You can't tell if your system is running or not? Really? If you can't you might have bigger issues than we could ever hope to help you understand.

well shit, I bought one of these from bestbuy because it was the only thing available right then for a reasonable price when my 950TX stopped working. (didn't want to wait 5 days for an online order).

Back