Corsair Announces Cooling Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler

This is indeed, by all appearances, an Asetek unit - with a Corsair logo. We've used them where I work for over a year now, and oddly have used the name Hydro CL1 for them in our marketing. I wonder if Corsair got inspired, or it is just a coincidence? :)

I see a number of differences just looking at the two of them. The mounting hardware is quite different for one thing. The rest may be cosmetic.

I do see the differences you are talking about on the mounting now - screws rather than the push-pin Intel mounting normally used. However, the ring mechanism and the tabs on the cooler to grab onto that are the same. My guess is either:

1) This is a newer version of the Asetek that will eventually trickle-down to everyone using them

2) This is simply the mounting for a different socket than we are used to seeing

or, more likely

3) Corsair had Asetek build units for them to their specifications - just like Corsair does with their power supplies (actually manufactured by Seasonic and Channel Well).

That is a business model Corsair seems to be good at, and I hope it works well for them in this arena :)

I am pretty impressed with those numbers if they are true... I love my water loop but this is simple and a bit more than a pump and a block...thats an easy win for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dan I would love to see a GPU version of this. the only issues I see are the placement of the rads...Maybe 3-5.25" bays?

Kyle will we see a finalized review this week? maybe with vid so we can see that ugly mug of yours some more?

Want to do a simple video review but I can't my damn camera to connect to this Win7 build. Only issue I am having so far....

As a watercool virgin, this is really interesting. Wonder if I could get this nestled nicely into a shuttle box...

This unit will heat up quick with the lack of a reservoir, so I hope that cute little radiator can keep up. I don't see the performance competing with a nice DangerDen or Swiftech kit, but I don't see them competing with this price.

I really don't see this beating a TRUE by 15c.. but maybe it will.

Then again, with the link to the page where is is up against a "high performance air cooler".. whatever that means, it is beating it, but what cooler exactly are they comparing it to?

What fan were they using on the "high performance air cooler"? What fan(s) where they using on the water cooling setup?

Too many unanswered questions for me to be interested in this product at this point.

I would also like to see what the inside of the water block looks like.

I had a CoolIT Eliminator about a year ago. The performance was incredible, but it was noisy as balls because of the air it had to move. That's the only concern I have here, that though it is nice and small, it has to move so much air it is too loud...

This unit will heat up quick with the lack of a reservoir, so I hope that cute little radiator can keep up. I don't see the performance competing with a nice DangerDen or Swiftech kit, but I don't see them competing with this price.

A reservoir does nothing to help a watercooling system unless it is massive and you dont use your PC long enough to heat the water up fully.
This doesnt allow you to stabilise your system unless you have a set amount of time you use it for high heat applications.
A reservoir has the disadvantage of reducing water flow through extra turbulence in the chamber.
This translates to less flow rate and less pressure at the block and therefore lower heat transfer.

The only advantage of a reservoir is to keep the loop filled for longer without a top up.
Better to use a T piece and a vertical pipe for topping up/releasing air, block it with a marble to seal the system.

Wonder how the real-world reviews will treat this... and if I should save my money instead of buying the TRUE. Let's see it Kyle!

Beating a TRUE by 15c? That sounds too good to be true...hah, it'll fly off the shelves if those temps are legit.

I doubt it as well but the real value of water is not in the temps you get (they are not that much better then good air cooling) but that its easier to get the heat out of your case. even if it matches the true it might be worth it.

I've used this system for months and I'm happy with it. It won't complete with high-end liquid cooling systems or the very best fan hungry air cooling solutions, but in my opinion... it's quiet, small, effective & affordable.

For test reference, I can keep 1.4V VCORE pumping through an >4 GHz overclocked Core i7, and stay under 83 C peak core temps while running ridiculous torture tests (LinX & Prime95 running in parallel) in a 28 C room. Hyperthreading on (4 cores, 8 threads). Your mileage may vary, of course. This is not a "best of the best" i7, obviously... as it demands serious voltage as you hit 4 GHz.

For my everyday 3.8 GHz overclock with 1600 MHz RAM, I don't see more than 70 C on my hottest core using the same ridiculous torture tests. At nearly idle, the cores are 39 C - 44 C.

So, overall.. it tames the i7 beast for my main system use.

So if it's really different and "20% better", more power to Corsair... my performance post earlier is based on an Asetek LCLC direct OEM unit, and not the Corsair version. I'd be skeptic about 20% better performance, though.

What is the general life expectancy on a closed unit loop like this? And will it have universal mounts for systems other than i7?

I was wondering that as well. Looks like it does.

Corsair said:
Includes mounting brackets for Intel LGA775 and LGA1366 socket motherboards. Brackets for AMD socket AM2 and AM3 motherboards are available for a nominal shipping and handling charge by contacting Corsair Technical Support.
http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/default.aspx

So if it's really different and "20% better", more power to Corsair... my performance post earlier is based on an Asetek LCLC direct OEM unit, and not the Corsair version. I'd be skeptic about 20% better performance, though.

To be honest, so was I.

My previous experience pegged the LCLC at about the same performance as a Zalman 9700, but not as good as a TRUE or Noctua cooler. The new version has a new coldplate and performs significantly better. It's been "tuned" so to speak. They designed the coldplate for the characteristics of the pump and amount of fluid in the loop, and resistance of the radiator, etc.

Looking forward to seeing some performance numbers from 3rd party sources to back up my claims though. I'm worried I might be crazy.

WOW, I am excited. I love my mugen 2, but i would love to try and push passed 4 GHz and i know my cooling is holding me back. Can not wait to see this online or at microcenter. I better be there so I live in Fremont and go passed Corsair's building almost everyday

Well, even if it ends up not being consistently & measurably better than the original OEM version with a decent fan... it's nice to see Asetek being able to take advantage of Corsair marketing and distribution. I think it's a good product, that's been mostly ignored... HP being the most mainstream user. (HP Firebird 802/803 and Blackbird 002 used Asetek LCLC for both CPU & dual GPU cooling.)

To be honest, so was I.

My previous experience pegged the LCLC at about the same performance as a Zalman 9700, but not as good as a TRUE or Noctua cooler. The new version has a new coldplate and performs significantly better. It's been "tuned" so to speak. They designed the coldplate for the characteristics of the pump and amount of fluid in the loop, and resistance of the radiator, etc.

Looking forward to seeing some performance numbers from 3rd party sources to back up my claims though. I'm worried I might be crazy.
Do you have an official MTBF?

It really looks interesting, lets see how it performs. Does the True work best with a fan pulling air? I always thought towers worked better with a push fan if you were only using one.

I was wondering that as well. Looks like it does.
Originally Posted by Corsair
Includes mounting brackets for Intel LGA775 and LGA1366 socket motherboards. Brackets for AMD socket AM2 and AM3 motherboards are available for a nominal shipping and handling charge by contacting Corsair Technical Support.
http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/default.aspx

Good find, thanks; I didn't see anything on my inital dig through for the compatibility.

Did anyone else notice that the vcore was set higher in the second pic?

The VCORE settings were identical in the BIOS. Software monitoring of VCORE has a larger margin of error than the difference in the two images.

only way I can see myself getting something fancy like this is if its going to last and support cpus for the next 6+ years

On another Forum where a Corsair Representative is present, Corsair had this to say...

We have tested this one to have nearly identical noise levels to the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 cooler.

The fan runs at 1700 RPM at full 12V but is stable down to 5V.

Source

Obviously its a statement made by corsair so its a wait and see game.

Well, the pump itself is basically silent. It generates some vibration, of course. So, the noise is just the fan you use to move air through the radiator.

For everyday overclock use, I can keep my ~1700 RPM 120mm PWN fan running at around 1000 RPM without a big hit to the effectiveness and it's quiet. You may need to go higher in some overclock scenarios, but there is a point where moving more air through the radiator no longer helps.

Anyone have any idea how you would mouth the res? If it's self contained you can't detach the hoses and run them through the "holes" on your case (those default holes for water cooling the better cases have". You'd have to get the res outside of the case right?

What am I missing?

Anyone have any idea how you would mouth the res? If it's self contained you can't detach the hoses and run them through the "holes" on your case (those default holes for water cooling the better cases have". You'd have to get the res outside of the case right?

What am I missing?

It mounts internally where the exhaust fan behind the CPU area usually is. So it all stays inside the case.

You could always replace the 120mm fan with a 120 of your choosing correct? Also attach a fan controller to control the speed if you like?

[H]adouken!;1034183101 said:
Quote:
We have tested this one to have nearly identical noise levels to the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 cooler.

The fan runs at 1700 RPM at full 12V but is stable down to 5V.
Source
If it really is that quiet, then there is no contest. I've been waiting for Corsair to bring something out to replace the Nautilus, and this seems like it.

It mounts internally where the exhaust fan behind the CPU area usually is. So it all stays inside the case.
Hmmm...
Then how do you mount it to case with an 80mm slot (or two)?

Time to pull out the Dremel.... :eek:

So long as it's cost is near that of a high end air cooler, this would be a win. I'm still going to stick with a pick and choose watercooling solution though. I like cooling more than just my CPU on water.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants to delve into watercooling, as it doesn't require a hell of a lot of knowledge/work. No picking watercooling parts, no hooking up hoses, no filling it, bleeding it, etc. I'd suggest like a Swiftech kit, if that's what you'd actually want to try out. I simply read tons of articles and jumped into the deep end when I started watercooling.

As for mounting this onto a 80mm hole, you can get a Swiftech radbox or an 80mm to 120mm converter. But with a radbox, the hot air would just get dumped into the case and not out of it.

Yep, that's the million-dollar question.

Yep. I remain somewhat skeptical here. I await the results, but if the claims are true, I'm certainly in for a few of these.

Even if it doesn't dethrone the TRUE, I may still get one for my HTPC.

Back