• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Corsair A50 - worth it?

I got an A50 for $15 AR from Newegg. I just got a 212+ from MC for $20 AR. The fan on the A50 is full blast all the time. If you replace the fan it's not too bad. All those 120mm tower coolers are within a few degrees C of each other.
 
I had one of these, the cooler was OK however I wasn't happy with the temps when overclocking. Traded the A50 to a friend and picked up a Corsair H50 on sale somewhere for about ~$15 more than the A50. I have been very happy with the H50.
 
I had one of these, the cooler was OK however I wasn't happy with the temps when overclocking. Traded the A50 to a friend and picked up a Corsair H50 on sale somewhere for about ~$15 more than the A50. I have been very happy with the H50.

The issue with water-cooling has *never* been cooling efficiency - not even in the early days of enthusiast-grade water-cooling. The issues have been twofold - complexity and price. The advent of closed-loop water-cooling has punctured the complexity argument for CPU-only water-cooling; competition in the space (between Antec and Corsair) is doing the same to price.

The Antec Kuhler 620 competes heads-up with the Corsair H60, resulting in the two basically having a price war (especially retail/e-tail, even at Amazon) - the same is true with the Kuhler 920 and the Corsair H80.

The venerable H50 has been discontinued (replaced with the H40) - however, the H40/50/60/80 all share the same surprisingly-easy mounting system for the radiator and fan (PUSH/PULL fans in the case of the H80) - the 120mm mounting space in the rear of the case. (Already have a fan in that space? Move it to the front and configure it as a PULL fan.)

The price advantage that air-cooling has traditionally had has shrunk - at MicroCenter, the Hyper212 EVO is only $23 less than the Corsair H60. The H40 - $10 less than the H60 - therefore has a smaller price gap. It's still up to the individual user/builder as to whether the better cooling and quiet is worth the remaining price gap to them.
 
Back
Top