Corsair A50 - worth it?

I got an A50 for $15 AR from Newegg. I just got a 212+ from MC for $20 AR. The fan on the A50 is full blast all the time. If you replace the fan it's not too bad. All those 120mm tower coolers are within a few degrees C of each other.

I had one of these, the cooler was OK however I wasn't happy with the temps when overclocking. Traded the A50 to a friend and picked up a Corsair H50 on sale somewhere for about ~$15 more than the A50. I have been very happy with the H50.

I had one of these, the cooler was OK however I wasn't happy with the temps when overclocking. Traded the A50 to a friend and picked up a Corsair H50 on sale somewhere for about ~$15 more than the A50. I have been very happy with the H50.

The issue with water-cooling has *never* been cooling efficiency - not even in the early days of enthusiast-grade water-cooling. The issues have been twofold - complexity and price. The advent of closed-loop water-cooling has punctured the complexity argument for CPU-only water-cooling; competition in the space (between Antec and Corsair) is doing the same to price.

The Antec Kuhler 620 competes heads-up with the Corsair H60, resulting in the two basically having a price war (especially retail/e-tail, even at Amazon) - the same is true with the Kuhler 920 and the Corsair H80.

The venerable H50 has been discontinued (replaced with the H40) - however, the H40/50/60/80 all share the same surprisingly-easy mounting system for the radiator and fan (PUSH/PULL fans in the case of the H80) - the 120mm mounting space in the rear of the case. (Already have a fan in that space? Move it to the front and configure it as a PULL fan.)

The price advantage that air-cooling has traditionally had has shrunk - at MicroCenter, the Hyper212 EVO is only $23 less than the Corsair H60. The H40 - $10 less than the H60 - therefore has a smaller price gap. It's still up to the individual user/builder as to whether the better cooling and quiet is worth the remaining price gap to them.

Back