Corsair 700w caught on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnstabn

Gawd
Came home yesterday and the fire alarm was going off. It was hard to find where the source of the smoke was coming from until I shut down all of the electronics. The PSU was actually burning on the inside but did not damage any of the other components. I had purchased this PSU maybe 6 months ago! Any suggestions on what I should replace it with?

RMA it. If you are not keen on going back to Corsair perhaps try an Antec.

Did you use a power surge or anything?

Will have pics soon. Going to be pulling it out of the system tonight when I replace it. I have the system going through a battery backup so the power should be steady. There isn't any noticeable burn marks on the outside of the unit but the inside smells terrible. I'd open it but I would like to keep the integrity of the evidence =p.

Will have pics soon. Going to be pulling it out of the system tonight when I replace it. I have the system going through a battery backup so the power should be steady. There isn't any noticeable burn marks on the outside of the unit but the inside smells terrible. I'd open it but I would like to keep the integrity of the evidence =p.

Plus opening it would void the warranty! :D

wow, glad the rest of the components seem to be okay. definitely get your money back on that - Corsair owes it to you. PSUs aren't supposed to do that.

Corsair doesn't have a 700W unit. What unit do you have?

Closing the thread. I had built two boxes in a similar time frame and this one was using the OCZ Stealth Extreme 700w. My 750tx is still running just fine. It was the OCZ that burned up =x.

Closing the thread. I had built two boxes in a similar time frame and this one was using the OCZ Stealth Extreme 700w. My 750tx is still running just fine. It was the OCZ that burned up =x.

I'm curious, what did you load on that OCZ?

Thanks,
-Jeremy

Core i7 at 3.8, 4890,12g ddr3 1600, 1.5tb seagate, dvd burner, and 4 fans. Couldnt have been running more than 550w.

Core i7 at 3.8, 4890,12g ddr3 1600, 1.5tb seagate, dvd burner, and 4 fans. Couldnt have been running more than 550w.

True. However, those OCZ units aren't top-of-the-line and some have out-of-spec ripple suppression. Not sure if its true for that particular model, but I would stay away from OCZ PSUs.

Clicked on thread, thinking "Anecdotes certainly don't represent statistics - I'm sure Corsair's earned reputation isn't repudiated by a single problem unit"

Yay for preconceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back