Corsair: 650D

Wow, judging from the amount of noise my fans are making now that they're hooked up to the motherboard, I don't think the fan adapter was sending full power to any of them!

My new build specs in sig:

p1060340g.jpg

p1060339i.jpg

p1060337t.jpg

Loving the 650D so far. I typically use Lian-Li's but this is a nice case and fits all of my needs.

Where did you buy them?

Corsair's website sells them http://www.corsair.com/graphite-series-600t-front-mesh-html.html
LL

Picture is not my machine, it is a fellow modder over at OCN by the name of Faulkton

Loving the 650D so far. I typically use Lian-Li's but this is a nice case and fits all of my needs.

Nice build bud. If you want a more black look you can Permanent Marker the yellow wires sticking out by the VGA card.

Do you guys think I could fit a 3.5" external fan controller in one of my hard drive trays, specifically one that has an SSD installed on the back end of the tray?

Do you guys think I could fit a 3.5" external fan controller in one of my hard drive trays, specifically one that has an SSD installed on the back end of the tray?

if you modded it yes, otherwise, I'd doubt it, why not get a 5.25 and put a plate on it and mount the drive up there with the cd drive?

WetMacula,

Thanks to you, I zip tied a 140mm right in front of my 570s and it greatly reduced the temp on the top card. I played an hour of BF3 and my top card hit 73c max, normally it would be hitting 83c max. That's 10c difference! It sort of makes sense now that I look at it since before, I just had a huge 200mm in front, but the airflow isn't directed towards my GPUs. It was more so just pulling cool air but dispersing it throughout my case. Adding that 140mm right in front is pulling in that cool air from the 200mm and right into my GPUs.

Not only is my max temp lower, the margin between the two cards are a lot closer. They are normally within 5-10c between the top and bottom card. Before, there were times when the top card was 15-20c higher, even at idle, sometimes the top card was 45c and lower card would be at 30c.

As I am typing this, my bottom card is at 24c and top card at 29c. This is unheard of in my setup. They are only this cool when I turn on the computer for the first time, and then it jumps to 30-40c at idle.

Before:

After:

if you modded it yes, otherwise, I'd doubt it, why not get a 5.25 and put a plate on it and mount the drive up there with the cd drive?

I'll make it work. I ordered a Lian-Li model that only has one central knob, and it's not very long, so it shouldn't get in the way of the SSD or the drive rails.

Nice build, I also have an H100 mounted inside a 650D. Still rocking a socket 1366 chip though, waiting for Ivy Bridge.
What temps are you getting on that 3930K? Is it overclocked?

Nice build, I also have an H100 mounted inside a 650D. Still rocking a socket 1366 chip though, waiting for Ivy Bridge.
What temps are you getting on that 3930K? Is it overclocked?

No it is at stock 3.2GHz right now. At idle it sits around 29-30c and fully loaded with Prime95 it never goes over 52c. The fans on the H100 are loud though, so I am looking into getting two replacement fans for it.

WetMacula,

Thanks to you, I zip tied a 140mm right in front of my 570s and it greatly reduced the temp on the top card. I played an hour of BF3 and my top card hit 73c max, normally it would be hitting 83c max. That's 10c difference! It sort of makes sense now that I look at it since before, I just had a huge 200mm in front, but the airflow isn't directed towards my GPUs. It was more so just pulling cool air but dispersing it throughout my case. Adding that 140mm right in front is pulling in that cool air from the 200mm and right into my GPUs.

Not only is my max temp lower, the margin between the two cards are a lot closer. They are normally within 5-10c between the top and bottom card. Before, there were times when the top card was 15-20c higher, even at idle, sometimes the top card was 45c and lower card would be at 30c.

As I am typing this, my bottom card is at 24c and top card at 29c. This is unheard of in my setup. They are only this cool when I turn on the computer for the first time, and then it jumps to 30-40c at idle.

Awesome rig! I'll be getting my 650D next weekend and cant wait to start modding. What single sleeve cables are you using? Also, are those whitefans Nexus fans in your machine? Very clean job my friend!

Thanks, those are just some cheapo NZXT fans.

Does anyone use the top exhaust fan as an intake? My temperatures are decent right now, but poking around on forums and reviews, like the Anandtech review, they said the 650d's weak point was the fan orientation.

"The Obsidian 650D, in comparison, seems almost schizophrenic. Air is brought in through the front 200mm intake, and then hopefully routed up and split through the rear 120mm exhaust and the top 200mm exhaust. Tower coolers in the standard orientation like the one on our testbed are seeing air flow through them oddly, and some of that air is likely just going straight out of the top before it even touches the cooler's fins. What's worse is that Corsair's design offers you virtually no way to improve the cooling: you can change out the 200mm exhaust at the top for two 120mm or 140mm fans, but it doesn't change the fact that you're exhausting more air than you're bringing in. Really what we need to see are more designs that channel air straight through the tower cooler on the processor."

If I were to flip the top down, I would need an air filter right? I think someone posted here that got one of those here..somewhere...

The fact that this thread just keeps moving on and on after nine months since release just lets you know that design engineer Mr. Redbeard has completed an amazing accomplishment, and is living as a very successful man, enjoying the fruits. Damn good fruits. George so hoping your new little one is happy and healthy she must be walking by now, and has her college degree in the bank, good job Daddio. Also hoping all is well, with you.

Bruce

Too bad I moved on to a CaseLabs M8 case :D

Well actually not bad @ all, It rocks!!

I could almost live inside this case ;)

p1060337t.jpg

Just curious, Why you using a 3 way SLI bridge for 2 cards, Why not just use the flexible 2 card bridge?

WetMacula,

Looks great!

Are the feet on this case adjustable, or for that matter removable? I'd like to use my Antec Lanboard, but with the feet being where they are the board sits between them, and would block the PSU intake.

LanBoard_q400B.jpg

Are the feet on this case adjustable, or for that matter removable? I'd like to use my Antec Lanboard, but with the feet being where they are the board sits between them, and would block the PSU intake.

LanBoard_q400B.jpg

No they arent adjustable, But they are removable.

Finaly got my 650D and installed my setup inside. Cable management is much better than my previous case. the front 200mm is an annoyance thought, as it dosent pull much air in and cause my 6950 fan to run faster(=noise) I dont want to mod the hdd cages, so whats the best option for maximum airflow at low noise ?

If I buy the mesh insert for the front of my 650D, will I have to cut it to fit, or does it fit perfectly if I'm only running one optical drive in the top slot?

WetMacula,

Thanks to you, I zip tied a 140mm right in front of my 570s and it greatly reduced the temp on the top card.

Looks good! It almost seems like there is little innovation from case and motherboard manufacturers when it comes to cooling GPU's, the largest source of heat in any gaming or number crunching computer. Bet they are too busy watching what the competition is doing. If I remember right, there were many reports of 570's cooking themselves to death because the voltage regulators got too hot. Not sure if it's worth the money, but if you are hell bent on getting lower temps, backplates on those cards should act as a heat sink and make it easier for the fan to do it's job. The backplates on my cards definitely get hot enough to burn flesh, when the cards are loaded.

compvm.jpg

edit: better picture and credit to WiL11o6 for the fan idea to improve air to GPU's. Also my f*cking fan controller died. Also thanks to g|aSsJaw for suggesting i remove the bottom HD stand.

Last edited:
You can take that stand out that the hard drive bay used to be on, you can get to the screws from underneath the case. Not sure if you knew or not, I centered the cage as well then pulled that stand out.

Latest pics of my 650D. I think ill move on to the Cosmos II once its released I need a full tower. :)

2IjG9.jpg

7rz0W.jpg

WetMacula,

Before:

After:

beautiful build.

I did something similar with my 580s and it does make a substantive difference in the temps of both cards. Along with the over temp drop i found the loud ass fans on the 580s themselves spin much slower and are much more quiet.

Thanks. By adding that 140mm in front of my cards, I feel this is the single most beneficial thing I did to my build. It costs $10 and a zip-tie and I dropped my max temp by 10c and I don't have to worry about it reaching unstable temperatures. It is winter, my room is cold and it was already hitting 83c before the extra fan so I was really worried about it during the summer because it will surely hit 90c easily. I can relax now because when it comes summer, it'll probably go back up to 83c from 73c so that's very reasonable.

I put my hand in between the fan and 570s and there is A LOT of cold air being blown into my cards, which is really nice. When it was only the 200mm up front, I didn't feel any air pressure being pulled into my cards at all.

I finally got my 650D set up, but I'm not happy. I really suck at cable management, and it shows. The cables for my Silverstone Strider PSU are extremely stiff, and I was really worried I was putting too much strain on the 24 and 8 pin mobo connectors. It works as shown in the picture, but I really don't want to keep it that way. I'm ready to buy a new PSU if someone makes one with more flexible cables? Any ideas? Anything else I can buy to make this easier?

30w74ah.jpg

^^^:eek: You are right. You do suck at it. But don't despair. We will help you. Give me a little time to look it over and I'll suggest some moves via PM.

If you want a more flexible PSU, Look at the corsair modular PSUs and they are all black too :)

^^^:eek: You are right. You do suck at it. But don't despair. We will help you. Give me a little time to look it over and I'll suggest some moves via PM.

Thank you, I'd appreciate that.

If you want a more flexible PSU, Look at the corsair modular PSUs and they are all black too :)

I was looking at the AX850, but it's rated at less amps on the 12v rail than my Silverstone. If I get a new PSU I might as well move up to 1000W. The new Kingwin LZP-1000 or the Rosewill Lightning-1000 both look to be more flexible than what I have.

Back