Corsair: 650D

Dudest, you are outrageous! Tell us about this Asus Wide Board install, please! The Front wide Asus Boards just cover the three 650D grommets 2/3rds or 3/4qts of the aperture? Is there still room to move the 24pin thru before or after installing the mainboard?
I am looking at an Asus Rampage IV wide ATX LGA2011 and would love to know if I can push the 24pin PSU cable thru or have to re-route everything around the ODD. Thanks Fantomau!!!

Ya, I can remove the 24pin cable, even after the boards installed, Theres enough of a gap from the grommet and the riser of the mobo standoffs that will allow the removal of the cables with the board installed.

Its very close to this pic I made:

650d2.jpg

Ya, I can remove the 24pin cable, even after the boards installed, Theres enough of a gap from the grommet and the riser of the mobo standoffs that will allow the removal of the cables with the board installed.

Its very close to this pic I made:

650d2.jpg

Awesome photo!!!

Last edited:
I'll be taking my sys down tonight to remove the mobo and putting in the Z68 board and waiting impatiently for the H100 to get released.

I could reinstall the vantage, But I'd just have to re-clean the cpu and re-do it all once the H100 is released.

H100 is in mass production now - with luck you might see some early air-shipped units in stores by the end of the week.

Review units shipping this week too.

It will fit. My Maximus IV Extreme fits.

The only thing it'll do is cover up a grommet. But it does fit.

img0758bm.jpg

As for the video cards, Not sure.

Thanks!! Now I only need to know if both of my cards will fit in the furthest PCI slot of each other. Also i would like to know if it is noisy at full speed and if my multiGPU setup won't overheat too much in this case.

Thanks again :)

Just thought I would mention that this case is on sale at Newegg for $149.99 after rebate. The price on the site is $169.99, but there is an extra $20 off using code EMCKCJH34.

On a related note, I just finished moving all of my components to this case (from an Antec 900). All I can say is WOW!! The differences between the two cases are huge. After completing the build, my only minor issue is that it would have been nice to have an extra half an inch on the back side for cable management. It was pretty tight getting the back of the case back on. It will be interesting to see how the temps compare, as that might be the only area that the 900 has an advantage. I will likely pick up the mesh side panel once it's available from Corsair, but for now I'll keep an eye on the temps.

I'm waiting on one power supply extension cable (not quite enough length to property route the 8 pin power cable). Once Newegg delivers it, I'll post some before and after pics. Let's just say that cable management isn't one of my strengths, but this case made it really easy.

I would recommend this case to pretty much anyone looking for a tower sized case - it's just about perfect in every way.

I got an email from corsair saying my fan controller was shipped out friday and I should have it this week.

I didn't get an email saying when it was shipped out, but I finally received my fan controller today and fitted it, no more horrible noise at lower fan speeds. Now if I could get the solid side panel for cheaper than $60 I'd be completely happy with the case.

i received my replacement 200mm fan today. installed and working perfectly.

thanks a ton redbeard and corsair!

I didn't get an email saying when it was shipped out, but I finally received my fan controller today and fitted it, no more horrible noise at lower fan speeds. Now if I could get the solid side panel for cheaper than $60 I'd be completely happy with the case.

I got my fan kit today via UPS.

I got my 650D over the weekend, here is everything installed!

650D.jpg

and here's everything set up and ready to go!

Workstation.jpg

Great pics everybody! I'm really getting to like this case design and will most likely purchase this case very soon this year for my new PC. :)

Last edited:
anyone here have a phobya 200mm radiator and have a spare mounting plate kicking around? I bent mine in an attempt to drill some holes in it and their suppourt cant hook me up.

H100 is in mass production now - with luck you might see some early air-shipped units in stores by the end of the week.

Review units shipping this week too.

Air-Shipped is one of my favorite words especially when it's in the same sentence with Corsair!

Mr. Redbeard did ya watch the All-Star Game last night? And did ya see who was coaching [managing] the National League?, yup my bro-in-law, and guess who won, yup the National League, wish 'The Beard' had closed the game with a strike out, but a win is a win. I don't think "The Freak" played at all, at least I didn't see him???

Thanks for the H100 info I already have my Sanyo-Denki fans ready to mount right up to it!;)

But this time I am going with Amazon Prime Overnight, please tell me they will have them available the same time as Newegg...please? Stay Cool George!

Last edited:
But this time I am going with Amazon Prime Overnight, please tell me they will have them available the same time as Newegg...please? Stay Cool George!

Amazon hasn't even listed the H80 yet even though Newegg, TigerDirect, and other stores have had them all week.

TechPowerUp finally reviewed it and LOVED it. Honestly, I love their tech reviews.

The Snake is absolutely correct; TechPowerUp wrote a tremendously thorough review of the Corsair 650D chassis, they should be applauded for their honesty and sense of real life quality and usability. Editor’s Choice Award well deserved!!!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_650D/

On the obverse, read this disgusting review about the 650D by Steven Walton:
This reviewer is an idiot and I would never state that if I did not sincerely believe it to be true. I could write a 20 page dissertation about how poorly this man respects quality, but it would all just come down to one singular notion, this guy is an absolute idiot, techspot should fire his ass on the techspot. Goodnight JohnBoy!

http://www.techspot.com/review/414-corsair-obsidian-650d/

Last edited:
TechPowerUp needs to start actually testing thermals in their case reviews in order for me to find much value in being able to use the review in deciding whether or not to purchase the case. Very few case reviewers do this and to me its just about pointless to review a case if your not going to because the cases most important job is its ability to cool the components you install in it. If it's thermals are 10-15C or more hotter than competing cases then your review of how great the case looks and functions sort of goes out the window. Bit-tech is one of the few hardware sites that actually test the cooling performance of the cases they review.

TechPowerUp needs to start actually testing thermals in their case reviews in order for me to find much value in being able to use the review in deciding whether or not to purchase the case. Very few case reviewers do this and to me its just about pointless to review a case if your not going to because the cases most important job is its ability to cool the components you install in it. If it's thermals are 10-15C or more hotter than competing cases then your review of how great the case looks and functions sort of goes out the window. Bit-tech is one of the few hardware sites that actually test the cooling performance of the cases they review.

I totally agree with you, but Bit-Tech reviews thermal performance ratings are based on “Out of the box stock thermals, it’s just stupid and impractical, when you can add a $20dollar fan and all your temps drop 20C. Bit-tech performs all their reviews as an "out of the box performance’. It’s so stupid when 99% of enthusiasts create their own aftermarket air-cooling or water-cooling solutions. If you want a quality chassis you have to judge the chassis by its own physical merits, rights and qualities and add your own ultra-high quality fans or hydro-cool as an aftermath, just like purchasing a PSU afterwards. Cheap stock or non-existent fans are a portion of the unrealistic Bit-Tech review equation and it is totally wrong. They actually review a chassis with a single 120mm rear exhaust fan, "included in the box" and then they grade it's thermal performance as poor. Of course the results are going to be awful duh stupid one singular 120mm pull out the rear? Don’t listen to them at all. Real Enthusiasts know how to make a high quality chassis work for them, bottom line. Bit-tech is living on another planet maybe Venus, are they Men? and need to hold a staff meeting STAT.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you, but Bit-Tech reviews thermal performance ratings are based on “Out of the Box” just the cheap throw-in fans or one fan included and no company right now can financially push full thermal flow right out of the box it's just too damn competitive of a market. Every quality chassis cannot be judged on out of the stock box thermals, it’s just stupid and impractical, when you can add a $20dollar fan and all your temps drop 20C. Bit-tech performs all their reviews as an "out of the box performance’. It’s so stupid when 99% of enthusiasts create their own aftermarket air-cooling or water-cooling solutions. If you want a quality chassis you have to judge the chassis by its own physical merits, rights and qualities and add your own ultra-high quality fans or hydro-cool as an aftermath, just like purchasing a PSU afterwards, cheap stock or non-existent fans are a portion of the unrealistic Bit-Tech review equation and it is totally wrong. They actually review a chassis with a single 120mm rear exhaust fan, "included in the box" and then they grade it's thermal performance. Of course the results are going to be awful duh stupid one singular 120mm pull out the rear? Don’t listen to them at all. Real Enthusiasts know how to make a high quality chassis work for them, bottom line. Bit-tech is living on another planet or maybe Earth in 2006, they need a very serious staff meeting.

That's true for chassis that offer a lot of additional fan options but there's nothing to say the reviewer couldn't test thermals at stock as well as thermals with the additional fan options installed using popular aftermarket fans. Yes different fans can lead to different results but it will at least give the reader some degree of an idea what the cooling potential is and will be a lot more than they get out of not testing it at all.

How is it stupid if you know what the worse youre going to do is?

Knowing the stock base temps, means you have a basic idea of what you can get out of it if you wish. Adding ulta-high quality fans to shit is just more expensive shit.

Maybe if there's enough shit reviews of cases due to crap fans, makers will get their arses in gear and add proper cooling to the stock cases. Its a serious waste of cash to have to buy case fans when you paid for them being included.

You realise that your estimated 99% of ethusiasts is probably only bout 45% of the market. Most won't modify the case for fans to gain 4 degrees and 8dBA.

You say real enthusiast know how to make a case good, but wouldn't you want to know what youre starting out with?

How is it stupid if you know what the worse youre going to do is?

Knowing the stock base temps, means you have a basic idea of what you can get out of it if you wish. Adding ulta-high quality fans to shit is just more expensive shit.

Maybe if there's enough shit reviews of cases due to crap fans, makers will get their arses in gear and add proper cooling to the stock cases. Its a serious waste of cash to have to buy case fans when you paid for them being included.

You realise that your estimated 99% of ethusiasts is probably only bout 45% of the market. Most won't modify the case for fans to gain 4 degrees and 8dBA.

You say real enthusiast know how to make a case good, but wouldn't you want to know what youre starting out with?

I completely agree with you Patonb, all the chassis makers need to get their arses in gear and include proper stock cooling, but for some reason they just don’t or they can’t and there must be a very good reason why. Higher sku costs??? If the 650D came with awesome 200mmx40mm deep pitch blade Noctua grade superfans in Obsidian Black it would add $30 to $40 dollars to the overall cost of the case. And that would equate to lower sales!

Remember when Blu-ray first came out and the players were $2000 dollars each and Sony thru in a yellow-red-black audio/video cable to hook it up with that was worth about 39cents? It’s the same methodology here, anyone that is serious about cooling is going to upgrade, maybe my 99% is overstated ok you are right, some folks do just fine with stock cooling, but I don’t think very many.

[Below just an example, an exaggeration a hypothetical]

Cooler Master is coming out with a new Cosmos II, what if they sell it stock with no fans. Bit-tech gets a hold of it for review and decides the CPU thermals are a little north of what they would like to see in a modern chassis, and the gpu temps are also too high. Duh, it has no cooling, do you see what I mean? And they castigate high quality cases and give them poor reviews simply because out of the box they don’t cool well. I don’t know any air case that cools well out of the box except maybe the Silverstone FT-02 Fortress with its three 180mm awesome fans; and that chassis is number one on their list.
So there is really no argument here, Bit-tech does what Bit-tech does and yes there is value in knowing what you are getting stock, but taken into perspective, I think everyone needs to read other reviews before deciding against a chassis, and realize how simple it is to improve thermals with just a few extra dollars for better cooling be it hydro or air.

I like sparring with you dude, you're cool!

Last edited:
Air-Shipped is one of my favorite words especially when it's in the same sentence with Corsair!

Mr. Redbeard did ya watch the All-Star Game last night? And did ya see who was coaching [managing] the National League?, yup my bro-in-law, and guess who won, yup the National League, wish 'The Beard' had closed the game with a strike out, but a win is a win. I don't think "The Freak" played at all, at least I didn't see him???

Thanks for the H100 info I already have my Sanyo-Denki fans ready to mount right up to it!;)

Bochy is your brother in law? That's awesome! He brought our city it's first World Championship! If I ever meet him, I will give him a big hug! :)

Cain, Timmy and Vogelsong didn't play at all. Pablo got that sweet double though!!!

Bochy is your brother in law? That's awesome! He brought our city it's first World Championship! If I ever meet him, I will give him a big hug! :)

Cain, Timmy and Vogelsong didn't play at all. Pablo got that sweet double though!!!

Yes Bochy is my bro in law, he is like the top 10% of 10% of 10%, totally awesome human being, married my sister way back when I was like 16 and they are extremely happy together, he is the talent, she is the brainpower very savvy, a good match. She is the very core of that man, without her he would not be, that is probably the real essence of what amazing relationships are all about. With hope the woman I am dating who is supersharp , will turn out the same way, crossing fingers and toes.

BTW I offered Redbeard home plate tickets to any San Francisco home game and he has declined, I can even arrange for him to meet the freak, or the beard and he has still declined, not judging but how could you say no to ATT Park tickets behind homeplate for free? Well there must be a reason and I have to respect that.

Will the H100 be out this week?

Hey man I am in Miami Aug 12th for the Giants/Marlins games staying in the hotel with the players, taking the team bus over to the park, and going to meet Lincecum, he seems like a cool dude! The fact that you know everyone calls him Timmy must mean you are a Huge fan. Totally cool!;)

Last edited:
Yes Bochy is my bro in law, he is like the top 10% of 10% of 10%, totally awesome human being, married my sister way back when I was like 16 and they are extremely happy together, he is the talent, she is the brainpower very savvy, a good match. She is the very core of that man, without her he would not be, that is probably the real essence of what amazing relationships are all about. With hope the woman I am dating who is supersharp , will turn out the same way, crossing fingers and toes.

BTW I offered Redbeard home plate tickets to any San Francisco home game and he has declined, I can even arrange for him to meet the freak, or the beard and he has still declined, not judging but how could you say no to ATT Park tickets behind homeplate for free? Well there must be a reason and I have to respect that.

Will the H100 be out this week?

Hey man I am in Miami Aug 12th for the Giants/Marlins games staying in the hotel with the players, taking the team bus over to the park, and going to meet Lincecum, he seems like a cool dude! The fact that you know everyone calls him Timmy must mean you are a Huge fan. Totally cool!;)

Born and raised in San Francisco a Giants fan. If you ever have trouble unloading tickets, let me know. I'd love homeplate tickets :)

I'll be at the Giants/Dodgers game on Monday. Got seats in section 105. Will you be there?

Born and raised in San Francisco a Giants fan. If you ever have trouble unloading tickets, let me know. I'd love homeplate tickets :)

I'll be at the Giants/Dodgers game on Monday. Got seats in section 105. Will you be there?

Dude, you just got home tickets behind homeplate for free, any Corsair fan is a fan of mine, make it later in the season, easier on me, August/September 2 tix you name the game.

Dude, you just got home tickets behind homeplate for free, any Corsair fan is a fan of mine, make it later in the season, easier on me, August/September 2 tix you name the game.

Wow. That's awesome! Thanks man! We should go to a game together if you're down. Drink some beers, talk geek :)

EDIT: Did you watch tonights game? That 12th inning was awesome!

Is Joe still out there or is he just enjoying his peaceful Noctua solace?

Still around!

Haven't gotten around to grabbing those MK-13 adapters, so I still have one Noctua fan sitting around. Things are very quiet, not silent but damn near close. I honestly am not sure what difference putting any acoustic foam would make.

Currently working on rebuilding my OS after doing a reformat, then maybe I'll give the MK-13 again. I beat Crysis 2 DX11 on Ultra, so there won't be much to stress my card for a while. And the next series of NVIDIA cards are going to be delayed until 2012 apparently. Bummer. I'm still waiting for a good reason to upgrade from my i7-860 and P55A-UD4P. Really not sure if Sandy Bridge is worth it right now for any sort of difference I may or may not see. It's crazy how fast hardware has advanced lately, but software? Well, I think we all know how that goes...

And Bruce, believe it or not, I have never been to an MLB game. I was a huge Braves fan as a kid in the early 90s, then they went into the crapper, and in my opinion the game hasn't been the same since. I might inquire about some Braves/Giants tickets though if possible!

Wow. That's awesome! Thanks man! We should go to a game together if you're down. Drink some beers, talk geek :)

EDIT: Did you watch tonights game? That 12th inning was awesome!

I live in Florida so I always go to the Giants/Marlins games, but I will be in San Fran for the Giants/Padres games Sept 12 thru 14 and the last three games of the regular season Sept 26, 27, and 28 against Colorado, but you pick any home game you want. Yeah man we can talk Corsair gear and throw back some Fosters Oil Cans yuk yuk! I have a condo available to me right across the street from ATT Park. PM me and all you do is show your driver's license and the tix will be in your name at the will call, its easy!

I am pretty sure the Giants will take the division again this year, and really hope they get to the series and "Repeat" Yeah Baby!!!

Nice meeting ya man!

Last edited:
Still around!

Haven't gotten around to grabbing those MK-13 adapters, so I still have one Noctua fan sitting around. Things are very quiet, not silent but damn near close. I honestly am not sure what difference putting any acoustic foam would make.

Currently working on rebuilding my OS after doing a reformat, then maybe I'll give the MK-13 again. I beat Crysis 2 DX11 on Ultra, so there won't be much to stress my card for a while. And the next series of NVIDIA cards are going to be delayed until 2012 apparently. Bummer. I'm still waiting for a good reason to upgrade from my i7-860 and P55A-UD4P. Really not sure if Sandy Bridge is worth it right now for any sort of difference I may or may not see. It's crazy how fast hardware has advanced lately, but software? Well, I think we all know how that goes...

And Bruce, believe it or not, I have never been to an MLB game. I was a huge Braves fan as a kid in the early 90s, then they went into the crapper, and in my opinion the game hasn't been the same since. I might inquire about some Braves/Giants tickets though if possible!

Jooooooooooooooooe Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you don't know what you been missin' man, Baseball at the park is so great, and the Giants are in Atlanta August 15 16 17 and 18 take your gf or wife and have a blast man. Just PM me and tell me the games you want to go to. I heard some bad news the other day that Intel might not release the Sandy E CPUs or the X79 boards until Jan 2012, bummed me out I am really wanting to get into a new mobo, cpu, and quad channel memory, now it looks like I have to wait even longer, but what can you do right? At least the LGA2011 platform is going to be awesome and will support the Sandy E chips and also the Ivy E chips when they come out so I wont have to upgrade the mobo. I am looking at the Asus Rampage 4 Extreme, I have had my same Intel X48 mobo since 08 so you know I am way overdue and dying for an upgrade. At least we have the Corsair H100 to look forward to! Glad at least some of the stuff I sent ya worked out though, sorry about that Prolimatech cooler not fitting, the website says it mounts right up???

Anyway stay cool Joe, and let me know when ya want to get out to Braves Stadium just PM me.

Last edited:
Jooooooooooooooooe Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you don't know what you been missin' man, Baseball at the park is so great, and the Giants are in Atlanta August 15 16 17 and 18 take your gf or wife and have a blast man. Just PM me and tell me the games you want to go to. I heard some bad news the other day that Intel might not release the Sandy E CPUs or the X79 boards until Jan 2012, bummed me out I am really wanting to get into a new mobo, cpu, and quad channel memory, now it looks like I have to wait even longer, but what can you do right? At least the LGA2011 platform is going to be awesome and will support the Sandy E chips and also the Ivy E chips when they come out so I wont have to upgrade the mobo. I am looking at the Asus Rampage 4 Extreme, I have had my same Intel X48 mobo since 08 so you know I am way overdue and dying for an upgrade. At least we have the Corsair H100 to look forward to! Glad at least some of the stuff I sent ya worked out though, sorry about that Prolimatech cooler not fitting, the website says it mounts right up???

Anyway stay cool Joe, and let me know when ya want to get out to Braves Stadium just PM me.

I will be sure to get back to you about the games. That'd be a great first time at the park for sure. Especially with the turnaround the Braves have made and how insane the pitching is. I really appreciate the offer.

The site says the GTX 460 mounts up, but they sell those attachments which definitely look different from what comes in the kit. I believe the MK-13 was the best performing of what you sent me, and when I tried to put it together, it was simply not working. I should just pull the trigger and get the adapters and put that thing to use shouldn't I? If anything it will give me a little more resale value, for which I am very grateful.

Still looking forward to the H100, even though it's overkill for what I have right now. Then again, if it's that good (and quiet enough) who knows. I really have the urge to do some work on my build but I still find best bang for the buck important. It seems that CPUs and GPUs are both delayed for a while. I can wait until after Christmas though. Right now my rig does everything I need it to, but I've been building since I was 10, so I just can't help but want to do more.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly don't think changing CPU or RAM would do much. I could maybe use 8GB RAM since I am doing more image editing. The GTX 460 SOC handled Crysis 2 at DX11 on Ultra around 35-40 FPS, so it doesn't seem economical to go for a new card yet either. Any upgrade would require new Mobo, CPU, and RAM. For once I am totally happy with my case though! Which is what this thread is all about...or used to be. I honestly don't believe there is a better mid-tower on the market right now than the 650D. If Corsair ever gets into the high-end fan business...goodness gracious.

Sigh.

Anybody that bought a case and has non-functioning components can get a free replacement from our customer service based on the warranty. A fan that doesn't spin can be easily replaced - we have no problem sending you a new fan.

And JoeJoeJoe123 (I feel kind of silly typing that) - email me again please - [email protected]

I'll take care of your issue.

Mr. Beard, you have been emailed. I thank you again.

Last edited:
can we keep this thread about a Corsair case?

can we keep this thread about a Corsair case?

Sorry Mr. FleaCom, we got a little off-topic there, mostly my fault, please accept my apologies, it's just the wait for the H100 has sort of created a time gap in our tech talk about the chassis and we sometimes just like meeting here as techfriends ya know? Thank you by the way for providing such an amazing forum, are you seeking investors? It’s easily the best forum on the net!

CruisD64 and Joe just PM me about that which we do not speak of!;)

Bruce

and Joe, you have my regular email so just reach me that way, so we don't clutter up this thread with unimportant topics like World Championships!

Last edited:
To anyone who might be holding back because of price:

Next up, we have Corsair's Obsidian Series 650D case, which is down from $199.99 to $169.99 with free shipping if you enter the promo code "EMCKCJH34" on the checkout page. You can bring the price down to just $149.99 via a mail-in rebate. In case you didn't get the memo, the 650D is the more rectangular, better-looking sibling of the TR Editor's Choice award-winning Graphite Series 600T. At that price, we'd recommend the 650D for sure. - TechReport

Um. Wow. That would have saved me nearly 90 dollars.

Back