Corsair: 650D

Updated pics:

img0760y.jpg

img0761lw.jpg

As far as fans, in my judgment there aren't any Ferraris in the market. There are a few decent Audi S6s, a BMW M3 or two, and a whole lot of modified 1996 Honda Civics. Those all serve a purpose. But right now, there aren't any Ferraris.

As for those fans that are like 'modified 1996 Honda Civics'... Are you referencing 'sleepers' or 'ricers'? :D I think there are a lot of 'riced out' fans on the market...

Ouch, man!

Our air coolers are actually very competitive in the performance side of things, if a bit boring looking. But performance for dollar, they're great deals. Problem is that aircooling isn't selling so well since Hydro series has been out, everyone's seeing that happen. Look at the new all-in-one watercooling units from our competition (just about every major competitor announced an H50/H70 competitor this year) to see how well our products must be doing.

As far as fans, in my judgment there aren't any Ferraris in the market. There are a few decent Audi S6s, a BMW M3 or two, and a whole lot of modified 1996 Honda Civics. Those all serve a purpose. But right now, there aren't any Ferraris.

You guys at Corsair seem to be doing so much, so so very much, every trade show a group of new exciting products, that takes so much time and work and effort, but I hope somewhere on the Corsair palette is those Ferrari quality fans. I am sure it’s been considered. A plan somewhere down the road, a new category for the company. Just don’t know how they could be sold with the cases, would raise the sku cost to an uncompetitive level. But sold as separate Specialty Fans, 29.99, 39.99, I think there are a few who would not mind paying $50 for a 200mmx30mm or 200mmx40mm fan if it was exceptional quality “something brand new to the table, an engineering marvel” with a good long warranty 5 to 6 years, like the warranty from Austria. But that’s just it, they only do one thing, Corsair engineers so many amazing products, adding on another one, whew, just seems overwhelming, but I have a feeling very possible in the future. I apologize George, didn’t mean to ouch you man, but yeah those air coolers are well, just about as plain as paper!;)

Last edited:
Man, that's one huge GPU!

On an unrelated note, I (pre)ordered my H100!
Hopefully the retailer will have it soon, but looking forward to trying watercooling for the first time.
Should fit nicely in the 650D, but Redbeard, can you comment on whether or not we can fit 4 fans on the H100 in the 650D, comfortably? Or is it too tight in there for that many fans?

Thanks.

The g and I are watching “I am Number 4” and she says go check on Joe and make sure he got his proper package. She is very English, love it, so joe gotta let me know if the Prolimatech MK-13 is gonna work out for your GTX 460, be cool man sleep well!;)

I'll be installing the fans in a little while. Not sure when I'll get around to the MK-13, but I am excited to see how much better performance I get.

I've got so many fans now, just gotta decide what goes where. I'm like a kid with Lincoln Logs, but instead I'm playing with a multi thousand dollar computer system that Abraham Lincoln couldn't have fathomed in his wildest dreams.

Great job fantomau, ultra-high quality components. We're just not worthy of you dude! Love that triple Asus card. All your rig needs now is a Slurpee Machine!;)

Thanx. I like the corsair sticker I got from someone, But dont care too much for the nvidia one, May remove that one, Kinda hides the PSU :D

LOL on the slurpee ;) I need 1 w/ this texas HEAT!

Man, that's one huge GPU!

On an unrelated note, I (pre)ordered my H100!
Hopefully the retailer will have it soon, but looking forward to trying watercooling for the first time.
Should fit nicely in the 650D, but Redbeard, can you comment on whether or not we can fit 4 fans on the H100 in the 650D, comfortably? Or is it too tight in there for that many fans?

Thanks.

Where did you pre-order the H100?

Does anyone know if there's a decent solution to the brushed aluminum faceplate issue? Meaning, I so rarely use my dvd drive that I'm tempted to just not even install it.

Been searching the thread and I remember someone mentioning a little tilt-down mod for one of the faceplates but I haven't been able to find it.

I'll be installing the fans in a little while. Not sure when I'll get around to the MK-13, but I am excited to see how much better performance I get.

I've got so many fans now, just gotta decide what goes where. I'm like a kid with Lincoln Logs, but instead I'm playing with a multi thousand dollar computer system that Abraham Lincoln couldn't have fathomed in his wildest dreams.

Joe, the MK-13 is a beautifully machined piece, it’s industrial art, but very heavy like 555grams but with that Noctua 6db ULN you are gonna get 26C 28C, the surface area and 6 heatpipes are going to quiet down your GTX460 to an inaudible level.
Here is the Compatibility link:

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=159&subid=688

Says your GTX460 will couple up to the heatsink just fine. BTW those 4black washers on the mounting posts I got those at Ace Hardware, just to make a tighter fit when you bolt on the cooler.

Enjoy yourself man!

I spent close to $150 to replace the fans on the 650d.... not that i needed to by any means.. i just want you to know that a lot of us would have NO PROBLEM at all buying Ferrari fans from you George!!!!!!!!

Thanx. I like the corsair sticker I got from someone, But dont care too much for the nvidia one, May remove that one, Kinda hides the PSU :D

That sticker looks great as does your entire build!

Where did you get the corsair sticker????

Does anyone know if there's a decent solution to the brushed aluminum faceplate issue? Meaning, I so rarely use my dvd drive that I'm tempted to just not even install it.

Been searching the thread and I remember someone mentioning a little tilt-down mod for one of the faceplates but I haven't been able to find it.

was it me you were thinking of with this lian li bezel mod??

30465057.jpg

Joe, the MK-13 is a beautifully machined piece, it’s industrial art, but very heavy like 555grams but with that Noctua 6db ULN you are gonna get 26C 28C, the surface area and 6 heatpipes are going to quiet down your GTX460 to an inaudible level.
Here is the Compatibility link:

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=159&subid=688

Says your GTX460 will couple up to the heatsink just fine. BTW those 4black washers on the mounting posts I got those at Ace Hardware, just to make a tighter fit when you bolt on the cooler.

Enjoy yourself man!

I really appreciate it. I was not expecting so much awesome stuff. Good to know there are some nice people out there in the world. About to install and move fans around. The MK-13 will be the last thing I do.

Gotta take a look and see what the optimal configuration for things is. Right now I have:

1 - Scythe S-Flex 120mm
1 - CoolerMaster MegaFlow (I think it's a MegaFlow)
2 - Thermalright TY-140's
2 - Noctua NF-S12B ULN
2 - Stock Corsair 650D 200mm
1 - Stock Corsair 650D 120mm

I know I saw someone somewhere who got custom filters made for the top of the 650d from some place in south africa that are magnets.

I really appreciate it. I was not expecting so much awesome stuff. Good to know there are some nice people out there in the world. About to install and move fans around. The MK-13 will be the last thing I do.

Gotta take a look and see what the optimal configuration for things is. Right now I have:

1 - Scythe S-Flex 120mm
1 - CoolerMaster MegaFlow (I think it's a MegaFlow)
2 - Thermalright TY-140's
2 - Noctua NF-S12B ULN
2 - Stock Corsair 650D 200mm
1 - Stock Corsair 650D 120mm

Joe, it's a 200mmx30mm Megaflow, sorry its not Black I am using my only black megaflow in my 650D, its the only one I have, but the cooling performance is the same.

Joe, its' a 200mmx30mm Megaflow, sorry its not Black I am using my only black megaflow in my 650D, its the only one I have, but the cooling performance is the same.

No problem at all.

Right now I have the megaflow as a top exhaust with the noctua resistor on it, one of the noctua fans doing rear exhaust, and the scythe s-flex doing front intake. I may or may not switch the noctua and the sycthe. Or maybe take the resistor off the Megaflow. So many options.

Other than that, I will put the MK-13 on my GTX460 soon enough. Does the Noctua need a resistor on that or is it already quiet enough? I still have one of the noctua's, a resistor, and what looks like a resistor but could just be an extension cable. It doesn't have a blue end, it's a 3pin to 2 pin connector with 2 wires with white caps on both ends.

Also curious as to what the little square black box fan is for. Only thing I need now is a Y splitter for my CPU fans.

No problem at all.

Right now I have the megaflow as a top exhaust with the noctua resistor on it, one of the noctua fans doing rear exhaust, and the scythe s-flex doing front intake. I may or may not switch the noctua and the sycthe. Or maybe take the resistor off the Megaflow. So many options.

Other than that, I will put the MK-13 on my GTX460 soon enough. Does the Noctua need a resistor on that or is it already quiet enough? I still have one of the noctua's, a resistor, and what looks like a resistor but could just be an extension cable. It doesn't have a blue end, it's a 3pin to 2 pin connector with 2 wires with white caps on both ends.

Also curious as to what the little square black box fan is for. Only thing I need now is a Y splitter for my CPU fans.

Joe, just have fun playing with it all, and find out what works best for you man, that’s what this is all about right? I also have some extra Noctua gear if need be.
Both those Noctua 6db ULNs need NO resistors, they are 6db at 12V. Use the blue resistors for the magaflow or any other fan, 5V [Noctua red dot mark] is a very hard drop so be careful and watch your temps. but the megaflow at 12V will move lots of air as a front intake OR top exhaust!

Last edited:
Need more info.

i had to dremel away most of the original lian li drive bezel mounts to make it work. Also it was originally a spring loaded door and now it's two separate pieces. It wasnt hard at all, but it would be hard to explain without pics and you having a lian li bezel to look at.

They're cheap, mine was less than $12 shipped, just buy one and do it!

i had to dremel away most of the original lian li drive bezel mounts to make it work. Also it was originally a spring loaded door and now it's two separate pieces. It wasnt hard at all, but it would be hard to explain without pics and you having a lian li bezel to look at.

They're cheap, mine was less than $12 shipped, just buy one and do it!

I have the bezel. Up until now I've been a Lian LI only guy. But the 650D made me stray. I still have 4 Lian Li cases in use.

ok if you already have the bezel than you know it is too big to fit.

I basically took off the sides/mounts of the bezel, removed the spring assembly and used double sided 3m stick foam tape to attach the door directly to the dvd drive door... after i removed the drives original bezel and the trim piece that was attached to the drive's tray of course.

The bottom strip of the lian li bezel sort of sits on the lip of the drive without the original bezel. It's also attached with 3m tape.

It's sort of one of those 'git er done' type projects where you just go at it being careful you dont take off too much and you're thinking ahead of how it will all work together.

It really wasnt hard though .. and i am in no way at all even close to being a good modder or even handy or good at building stuff :p

I'm really happy with it though:

img2379f.jpg

thanks!

it was my first build in nearly a decade, i went laptop while i was globe hopping, and i'm proud of the way it turned out.

I saw someone post something about some magnetic fan filter covers made by DEMCifilter that I thought about getting for the top. The holes are really alittle big and well in my house, It gets alittle dusty and the filter could help the top, But would probably hinder some exhaust airflow as well.

Still looks very good too :)

I agree. Which is why I wanted the master craftsman (that's you, faulkton) to tell me how he did it. Now, if only Corsair could make one that actually mounts normal....sigh.

hint hint, Redbeard.

eh i decided to keep my usb 3.0, since I dont want to remove the whole thing lol

I agree. Which is why I wanted the master craftsman (that's you, faulkton) to tell me how he did it. Now, if only Corsair could make one that actually mounts normal....sigh.

hint hint, Redbeard.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when corsair didn't implement a dvd stealth cover in the 650D. It's been requested numerous times.

It looks pretty nice with the Lian Li bezel there in faulkton's pic.

One thing is for sure though, if I build another PC, i'll be getting a 650D and an h100. They'll be pretty nice together.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when corsair didn't implement a dvd stealth cover in the 650D. It's been requested numerous times.

It looks pretty nice with the Lian Li bezel there in faulkton's pic.

One thing is for sure though, if I build another PC, i'll be getting a 650D and an h100. They'll be pretty nice together.

Yeah a stealthed dvd would be sweet.

Maybe corsair can get into making 5.25 drive racks like lian li, xigmatek, coolermaster and silverstone do for their cases.

I finally saw the 650D at a local Microcenter and have to say that I'm really disappointed in the build quality on this thing. The steel body is very thin and flimsy - it was one of those rare instances where I wished the thing was heavier (and hopefully more solid and durable). The plastic drive trays inside were a joke. Even the front bezel isn't anywhere near as nice as the 800D - which I have sitting on my office floor right now.

I was considering picking up a 650D when it was announced but it's definitely crossed off my list now. It should've been a shrunken 800D, instead it's like illegitimate step-child. Yuck.

I finally saw the 650D at a local Microcenter and have to say that I'm really disappointed in the build quality on this thing. The steel body is very thin and flimsy - it was one of those rare instances where I wished the thing was heavier (and hopefully more solid and durable). The plastic drive trays inside were a joke. Even the front bezel isn't anywhere near as nice as the 800D - which I have sitting on my office floor right now.

I was considering picking up a 650D when it was announced but it's definitely crossed off my list now. It should've been a shrunken 800D, instead it's like illegitimate step-child. Yuck.

I don't know. From my experiences, cases on display at places like Fry's and Microcenter always seem to look like crap. Even the RV02 looked like complete crap at Fry's. I don't know why they seem to have that effect on cases.

The trays, I don't like, but they won't flex with a hard drive in them. Surprisingly, Silverstone's trays are better.

I haven't seen the 650D, but I have seen and bought the 600T. The 650d is supposed to have the same skeleton as the 600T. And from what I saw with the 600T, it was well built in that regard.

The only part of that description I would agree with is the hard drive trays. Those are flimsy and brittle. I've broken at least two of them basically from looking at them.

Other than that, the case is rock solid.

Finally installed my system in my shiny new 650D, and it's generally pretty great. Upgrading from my much louder P182 with fans everywhere has seen temps rise a couple degrees, nothing major.

My only problem is the front fan has a noticeable whine to it. I've tested all the fans and the front on is definitely the problem. Thinking of getting a CoolerMaster 200mm fan which seems to have good reviews. Anyone have any experience with these?

I have my hdd cage moved next to the power supply so clearance for the fan shouldn't be an issue.

Back