Corsair 550W clicking... 2 in a row.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I know its the fan. Whats strange is this is the 2nd one in two different builds clicking. Its the same kind of noise when you take a crappy old case fan and slow it down... then you get that light click only this isnt so light because of the fans size I assume. I could RMA but id almost rather stick a Noctua or Nexus fan inside the PSU and run that then pay shipping cost for an RMA. I think im more ticked about the amount of time I took hiding all my cables just to know I am going to have to remove them :rolleyes: Thanks for any input.

If you have the skills to put a new fan in, I'd probably just take my chances putting it in as long as you're satisfied that the rest of the PSU is ok.

Little bit of soldering isn't a big deal. I can even avoid soldering at the board and just use heat shrink after soldering the new wires to the old existing wires. Whats weird about this one is the power supply had a very strong paint smell.

Dude I know it sucks but you would void the warranty. Personally I would RMA it again ehe

My hx520 had some loud clicking when I first installed it, however as soon as the system boots it must be drawing enough power to speed up the fan slightly, or maybe the fan voltage evens out or the fan bearings warm up or something because the clicking goes away and it becomes very very quiet. Yours just continues to click the whole time the system is on? I wonder if it would continue to do that even after you had used the psu for a while. Maybe the fan bearings will loosen up or something.

My hx520 had some loud clicking when I first installed it, however as soon as the system boots it must be drawing enough power to speed up the fan slightly, or maybe the fan voltage evens out or the fan bearings warm up or something because the clicking goes away and it becomes very very quiet. Yours just continues to click the whole time the system is on? I wonder if it would continue to do that even after you had used the psu for a while. Maybe the fan bearings will loosen up or something.

It does seem less noticeable after its been one for a while. I assume after it builds up some heat the fan spins faster making the noise lighter. As for my warranty I could care less. I don't want to have to pay shipping when I could use that money for a Noctua P12 instead. If I had paid the full 100$ for this thing I probably wouldn't touch it but 50$ after rebate and then selling my current PSU for 25$ makes me care a whole lot less about possibly screwing it up lol

Also forgot to mention a guy on Silent PC review has the same problem. He describes the noise as a lighter version of an old school film projector. Guess I am not the only one.

If the money isn't a big issue, I'd just mod it yourself. $25 for the PSU after the rebate and your old PSU sale probably isn't worth your money to RMA it.

Hmm, I've been trying to track down a weird noise I've been hearing. I originally thought it was from my Yate Loon 120mm low-speed case fans, but I've been able to eliminate that possiblity. The noise sounds pretty much like the description "a lighter version of an old school film projector." I have an HX520.

I have two PC's... my gaming rig has the HX520 and my little box my roommate and I share as a file server is running the VX550 thats making the noise.

I wouldnt tell anyone else to do this but I shoved a screw driver into the psu far enough to stop the fan from coming on. I then pressed the power button... no noise at all... I let the fan go and the noise begins. Its the fan. Sounds like hub noise from being undervolted. Kind of lame for this to put out a PSU with this kind of noise but most systems are noisy enough to cover it up. I

Back