Corsair 520 noise after installing 4870.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
After installing my 4870 from an 8800GTS 512 I am getting a high pitch whine out the back of the PSU that is very annoying. I would have thought this psu would be fine but after running the extra 6 pin PCI-E there is a noticeable noise that gets louder as I strain the system. I can hear it change pitch as I launch applications. Anything I can do? My case does not allow for a longer then normal PSU. I was thinking of replacing it with a 700W or 650W Seasonic PSU. Would this be better? Thx for any help!

Something I noticed..If I move my mouse around I can hear it make the whine noise even louder then if I keep my mouse still.... really strange.

That is really odd .. wonder if it is caused by overload on the unit.
It might help to list yuor other specs to see where on voltage you stand ...

Seasonic is always a good choice, but so is corsair ..

Get some number and specs up and lets go from there.

Remember that Corsair HX520 power supply came with a 5 year warrenty. I own the Corsair HX520 and will be purchasing a 4870 very soon. Did you use the pcie cables that came with the PS or the y adapter that came with the video card? Use the dedicated cables that came with the Power supply. This might solve your problem. If you used the y adapter that came with the video card you might be overloading one of the rails. If this does not solve your problem then I would contact Corsair and ask them your questions for the correct answer. Sounds to me like your finally put a decent load on a used power supply and it don't like it. Looks to me if that did not solve your problem then a RMA is in your near future. Please post back what you find out.

BTW your power supply is on the certified power supply list for the HD4870
http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html#pstop

If your card did not come with the proper cables then Corsair will send them to you.

Are you 100% positive its coming from the PSU, and not the video card itself? Both PSUs and video cards often tend to whine, but the video cards have always been much louder in my experience.

ive had problems similar to this, i install something new into the PC and suddenly notice a high pitch squeal or whine sound coming from the PC. i thought it was the PSU at first as well, but after testing multiple PSUs from Corsair, OCZ, Enermax, Mushkin and Antec, the whine kept going, turns out it was the motherboard. happened to both an EVGA 680i and Asus M2N SLI Deluxe. it would whine whenever you stressed the system, and i also noticed it whined more often when you were using the mouse or the scroll wheel.

I installed a corsair TX650 in place of the 520.. the noise is much much lighter now. It was in the PSU and this one is doing it also but its so light now I have to put my ear right beside the PSU to hear it. Not sure of my system is giving some sort of feedback that could cause this but being on a larger PSU seems to have helped the problem A LOT. It was easy to tell it was the PSU.. its in its own compartment in my case. You put your ear to the PSU and the noise was easily heard... listen anywhere else in the case and it just kinda echoed around I guess. I had my roommate listen and he agreed it was coming from the PSU. Let me know if you guys experience anything like this.. my gaming rig is in my sig with all my specs.

fan ramps up as load increases.
fan going bad???
buy a 750W.

My Corsair HX 520W works 100% fine with an overclocked Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4870 overclocked heavily, 7 120mm fans, 2 hard drives, optical, X-Fi, 4GB RAM, etc. No noise/squeal at all... sounds like something else in your system is making it, or you have a ground short since you're saying that you still hear it just lower with a different PSU.

Given that you still hear "the noise" I am thinking its not the PSU, but whatever works for you.

How's your case cooling? The new video card may be heating up the case more then it can handle and the extra heat is causing the PSU fan to do more work.

It could be anything, but most likely its another component, if buying a TX650 didn't stop the problem I would expect another component to be causing it. The TX 650 should be more than enough for a single HD 4870 card and some... Corsair PSU's have large fans, so even at high speeds there shouldn't be an audible "Whine", but more of an audible whooshing noise (Very technical lol).

I think its your ambient temps, that are making a smaller fan in your system speed up...

It sounds like either some caps on the motherboard or the video card. Guaranteed. It's not the PSU. When I bought my Asus P5K Deluxe, it actually SCREECHED at me. I sent it back, got a refund, and bought it from another source. I got a newer revision that is totally silent.

I would test the card in another system if possible, and RMA it. It is really unlikely that the power supply starts whining with that card when there wasn't a problem before. The HX520 has enough power to run that card. The board wouldn't suddenly start whining after a video card upgrade either.

I would also check airflow, as a few of the other guys have said.

this happened with my cooler master extreeme power 650...

one 2900XT it was normal, when i put a second 2900XT in, it started making more noise because it had to harness mroe power...

either way it was under powered, abd when i hooked those cards up to my 750 real power pro, everything was normal..

its not the PSU going bad, its just the PSU wrking harder.

this happened with my cooler master extreeme power 650...

one 2900XT it was normal, when i put a second 2900XT in, it started making more noise because it had to harness mroe power...

either way it was under powered, abd when i hooked those cards up to my 750 real power pro, everything was normal..

its not the PSU going bad, its just the PSU wrking harder.

But your case is with two of the most power hungry cards ever made, and an average power supply. This case here is with one graphics card, which isn't too power hungry, and a quality power supply. The 4850 should be alright on a quality 400W, let alone something that is likely to be above 600W.

Are you 100% positive its coming from the PSU, and not the video card itself? Both PSUs and video cards often tend to whine, but the video cards have always been much louder in my experience.

yep, and the fan causing pressure out the back of the power supply is sucking the whine sound out of the case, kinda like wind carrying sound across valleys.

I think its quite normal for PSUs to whine/buzz, just not very loud. The 3 HX620 and 1 VX450 power supplies I've owned all made a noise, but you would never hear it over the noise of even low speed fans unless you put your ear up to the PSU.

I just installed a GTX 260 and I hear this awful high pitch noise when the card is being completely stressed. I have Corsair 620HX and never noticed it before with the 8800GT. I am certain it is the power supply.

I just installed a GTX 260 and I hear this awful high pitch noise when the card is being completely stressed. I have Corsair 620HX and never noticed it before with the 8800GT. I am certain it is the power supply.

A lot of video cards do that, including the 8800 GTX, 8800 Ultra, and 9800 GX2 I've owned.

Sounds like coil whine on the video card. FWIW I have a 4870 and the HX520 with no issues.

Not getting any noise with Corsair 620HX and GTX 280 here, also when the card is stressed to its maximum..

some cards do it, others don't. My new 4850 is silent and my old 8800gts G92 was much louder under load. Its just the caps.

My 4870 squeals under load too, HX620.

My 8800GTS640 squealed like a... well, let's just say it squealed alot.

When I got my GTX 280, I noticed that something (I couldn't determine the exact source, even with the case open) started squealing whenever I got 1,000+ FPS (e.g., menu screens, ATITool cube). I just got a 1000W Corsair PSU to replace the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W that I had been using. No more squealing. (Yeah, it's overkill for a single GPU, even the GTX 280, but I might try the SLI waters again given the price drops and rebate from EVGA).

My 620HX is making the same noise with my 4870, really bad in ATI Tool. I submitted an RMA with Corsair just now. Glad to see its not just me.

my 620 also makes a high pitched whine but only if i take my 8800GT past 670mhz core.. really odd.. no uber 700+mhz for me ~_~

Back