correct way to disable vsync, and enable "max frame" setting in nvcp?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Trying to understand the correct method to use the option "Max frame" setting in nvcp for certain games. So, inside NVCP and under the specific game profile tab, I set "ENABLE MAX FRAME LIMIT to 144" and set Vsync to application controlled, then go inside the game and disable vsync, and do i also set the max frame inside the game as well to 144, or leave Render max frame to disable, and let the nvcp take over and do its thing... Im just confused here.. thanks BTW, the games are all ubisoft titles like ghost recon, and the farcrys... thanks

Anything you set in the NVIDIA control panel outside the default will override the game settings. I would disable the game's framerate cap or set it to unlimited just to be sure, as I have not yet tested the NVIDIA framerate cap. Note that you will still get tearing without V-Sync or G-SYNC.

thank you for the reply.. yeah, tearing is pretty bad, trying now to figure out how to set "low latency mode" correctly... Am i the only one who finds all the settings confusing, and they all make HUGE differences in how your games play. Ive been stuck for YEARS NOW just enabling "Vsync" and thought games where smooth and happy and gpu working less, but once I got my 2080Ti a few weeks back and its performance is so damn strong, im having so many frames rendered that screen tearing is pretty noticable now, and trying to fix this and cap FR to 144FPS as my monitor is 144hz.... Im slowly figuring this stuff out but any input is welcomed!! Thanks

What is the make and model of your monitor? I can suggest specific settings if you let me know.

Here are a couple suggestions for a fixed refresh monitor:

Low latency mode: On
Power management mode: Optimal power
Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
Max Frame Rate: 143
Vertical sync: Off

Or

Low latency mode: Ultra
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Max Frame Rate: Off
Vertical sync: Adaptive
Triple buffering: On

Here are a couple suggestions for a fixed refresh monitor:

Low latency mode: On
Power management mode: Optimal power
Max Frame Rate: 143
Vertical sync: Off

Or

Low latency mode: Ultra
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Max Frame Rate: Off
Vertical sync: Adaptive
Triple buffering: On
In NVCP, using low latency mode to "ON" set max fps to 142.... Setting in game options to vsync "OFF" and set max FPS in all ubisoft games to use 144hz... games are much improved. never realized how much lag vsync was causing.. Low latency mode made a nice difference to setting it to "ON" I havent tried ultra, or whatever the other option is yet.

In NVCP, using low latency mode to "ON" set max fps to 142.... Setting in game options to vsync "OFF" and set max FPS in all ubisoft games to use 144hz... games are much improved. never realized how much lag vsync was causing.. Low latency mode made a nice difference to setting it to "ON" I havent tried ultra, or whatever the other option is yet.
I actually had it backwards. With V-Sync you want Low latency mode set to "On" and without you want it set to "Ultra." The "Ultra" setting is negated by the use of V-Sync as there will always be a queue of rendered frames present with it enabled.

I'd play around with On and Ultra without V-Sync to see what works out better for you. Ultra can introduce some CPU overhead that may occasionally increase frame time, and you may not want that kind of inconsistency present. Ultra also doesn't work with every game.

Back