Correct sequence for using 2x NVME in RAID

kidstechno3

Limp Gawd
Had an old Z370 board that I got this working on but honestly can't remember how, moved to an X570 and my current setup is:

1TB SSD for Windows Install
Regular 2TB HDD
2x 1TB NVME

Before, I was able to have my 1TB SSD for Windows boot, 2TB HDD for whatever, and then converted my 2x NVME into RAID0 for games.

However, on my new board - whenever I enable RAID and reboot to get access to the AMD Raid utility, my SATA1/2 drives stop showing. Switch back to AHCI and reboot and they work fine.

What's the correct order of this to get this working how I want?

Check your manufacturer motherboard for storage drive compatibility. I like to update latest and greatest motherboard bios firmware and do a clean crispy latest and greatest operating system install.

A lot of motherboards share address space and/or lanes between some of the devices. for example, enabling your second m.2 port may disable SATA ports 2&3, or disable one of your PCIe x1 slots. What motherboard are you attempting this on? It may be that you may need to move your SATA devices to some other ports.

I was just about to mention the lane sharing myself. My current board is the same way. If I use m.2 slot, I lose 2 SATA ports (which Im using all of them).

just an FYI, raid 0 NVMe's are not going to give your games any performance benefits.

and then converted my 2x NVME into RAID0 for games.
Do you want raid0 just to the nice bonus to have them show has a bigger single drive ?

If so, if no solution work with the motherboard and are Windows, you can look at software side solutions (either raid 0 or just combining drive into a single big one):
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10

If it is only for games, I imagine it could be better/simpler to just combine them without raid0 going on, fast NVME seem to be overkill already over regular SSD on that workload.

Do you want raid0 just to the nice bonus to have them show has a bigger single drive ?

If so, if no solution work with the motherboard and are Windows, you can look at software side solutions (either raid 0 or just combining drive into a single big one):
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-one-large-volume-using-multiple-hard-drives-windows-10

If it is only for games, I imagine it could be better/simpler to just combine them without raid0 going on, fast NVME seem to be overkill already over regular SSD on that workload.

Yea I ended up doing a Striped partition in Windows using the 2 formatted NVME drives under Disk Management and it worked like a charm. It's just easier to handle 2 drives as one.

just an FYI, raid 0 NVMe's are not going to give your games any performance benefits.

Interesting, is there a max bandwidth that games use?

Interesting, is there a max bandwidth that games use?
They seem to hit a ceiling fast enough, the difference between HDD and SSD is really big and than it became very small between raid SSD or nvme:

It depend on the game, maybe it will change in the next year's if decompression (?) with CPU able to reach closer to 100% during load stop being the main bottleneck when you hit regular SSD speed.

Back