Core Temp or Real Temp?

DITC

Limp Gawd
Which numbers should I trust?

Core Temp:

43, 45, 43, 44

Real Temp:

39, 41, 39, 40

Speedfan shows same as Core Temp, guess that's the one then.

Um, I dunno.

No backup to this, but for 45nm I trust Real Temp. It's my understanding the author has a very good grasp of how the 45nm chips read temps. Instead of reading the actual temperature, he reads how far away it is from thermal throttling.

Again, not an expert, but what I'm going on until I hear otherwise.

There are numerous threads on this. The search function will show you the light.....

So if two friends told you to jump off a bridge would that make it more right? lol I think Unclewebb used that one too :p

Speedfan and Core Temp use the old 105C TjMax calibration. RealTemp uses a TJMax of 95C. Atleast that is what it is for the e8400. I think it might be different for the Q6600. But Unclewebb created the program so that you could get more accurate idle and load temps. He used a infrared thermometer with his HS off of his chip to show the correlation between what each program was saying and what the actual temp of the cpu was. He found that the TJMax was set too high for quite a few of Intel's chips, thus he created RealTemp.

Use what ya want, but if you do some searching and reading you will probably end up with RealTemp.....

Um, I dunno.

No backup to this, but for 45nm I trust Real Temp. It's my understanding the author has a very good grasp of how the 45nm chips read temps. Instead of reading the actual temperature, he reads how far away it is from thermal throttling.

Again, not an expert, but what I'm going on until I hear otherwise.

Both temp programs (RealTemp and Coretemp) read how far it is away from TJMax. You can set Coretemp to give you that reading rather than what it calculates the temp to be. Both programs will show you exactly the same number for Delta to TJMax, which is the most important number to anyone who overclocks.

Fritzz, yeah, I saw the all the threads when searching and regretted posting this thread. I've read up on it now and it really just comes down to the TjMax numbers, I think the Q6600 has a TjMax of 100c so I'm just going to go with that. I read how he made his calibration after making this thread and it seems fine... but I'm just going to go with Core Temp and trust those numbers to a certain point, since they're based on a Tj. max of 100c. Or set a Tj. max of 100c for Real Temp as well but then I of course get the same numbers, so.

I hope 100c really is correct for Q6600. I've heard some talk that the G0 which I have has a Tj of 85 and not 100 as the B3 though, but this seems a little odd to me, that big a difference, but I don't know.

You are still going to get the same delta to TJMax with both programs, and that's the important one. RealTemp will just give you closer to what you actual cpu temp is. IMO.

RealTemp defaults to a 95C TjMax from what I can tell - at least for a Q6600 G0. That's unmodified and unadjusted, just click the button next to the CPU speed once, it'll show "TjMax = 95°C" - or at least that's what it shows for me on my Q6600 G0. I'm not sure where the figure comes from, I'm going to assume (ooops...) the author of RealTemp has some basis for that being the default.

Also, as I don't have other CPUs to compare, I can't say if the defaults will show as different for each CPU using RealTemp. Perhaps other people with different CPUs can comment on what a single click on that button shows them (multiple clicks give different info).

quoted from my overclocking guide:
graysky said:
System Monitoring
There are several options for processor core temp and system temp monitoring. For a discussion of what is different between the apps I am about to list, see this thread. PLEASE READ THAT THREAD BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT WHY SOME OF THESE READ DIFFERENT TEMPS!

These first two will give you just the core temperatures (not system temps, voltages, etc.):

Core Temp (freeware)
Real Temp (freeware)

The next three will give you core temps plus many other temps, voltages, fan RPMs, etc.:

HWMonitor (freeware)
Speedfan (freeware)
Everest Ultimate (shareware $$$)

I read that and all it comes down to, and it says that in that thread, if you have the same tj. max in both apps, both apps give you the same temperatures.

Now, what is the tj. max for Q6600 G0? Has Intel gone out with those specifications, because I don't see them on their webpage.

I read that and all it comes down to, and it says that in that thread, if you have the same tj. max in both apps, both apps give you the same temperatures.

Now, what is the tj. max for Q6600 G0? Has Intel gone out with those specifications, because I don't see them on their webpage.

Intel does not provide them, because in theory each chip is calibrated during production. There is no guarantee that chips (or even each core) in the same batch will even have the same TJmax, let alone different stepping's.

This is odd.

huh2ef2.jpg

Core Temp agrees with CPU-Z. Real Temp is reading the FSB 100MHz higher than it is.

In my experence Real Temp has been the most accurate. I'm comparing real temps readings and my bios readings and they are dead on. Core temp usually shows your CPU 5C higher than it really is. Go with Real Temp.

PS. You have to run Real Temp as Administrator on Vista so make sure you do that or the program wont work

Back