• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i7 OC, safe voltages, temps

rennocneb

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
136
Just got a core i7 920 im in the process of over-clocking it. what is the max safe voltages for core, vtt, pll, IOH, etc. Also what are safe temps im currently setting at 3.8 prime stable at 1.284v but its hot pushing 80C under prime
 
i would read the [H] overclocking and heat review on this subject and note how hot the stock cooler lets it get.
 
coolermaster v8 and from the reviews i read its within a degree or 2 of the thermalright. In fact HardOCP found the thermalright was running at 83C under a similar overclock.
 
sorry, reading comprehension: fail

I read that as 80c idle, not under full prime load.
 
Generally, voltage should not exceed 1.4v on air and temps should not exceed 85C.

I stop ovelclocking when increasing a few MHZ requires a significant boost in voltage.
For example. my i7 920 runs 3.6GHZ @ 1.2125v - 60C prime.
However, it requires 1.3v to run 3.8GHZ - 70C and 1.4125 to run 4.0GHZ - 75C.

In other words, I look for the sweet spot in terms of voltage and raw speed balance.
For my CPU, 3.6 is the way to go.
 
Generally, voltage should not exceed 1.4v on air and temps should not exceed 85C.

I stop ovelclocking when increasing a few MHZ requires a significant boost in voltage.
For example. my i7 920 runs 3.6GHZ @ 1.2125v - 60C prime.
However, it requires 1.3v to run 3.8GHZ - 70C and 1.4125 to run 4.0GHZ - 75C.

In other words, I look for the sweet spot in terms of voltage and raw speed balance.
For my CPU, 3.6 is the way to go.

Hey what batch code is your processor 1.41v is poor for 4ghz =( hoping my chip doesnt need that to do 4ghz. Mines at 3.843ghz... Its @ 1.306v in BIOS, in windows reads 1.264v idle and 1.232v load
 
I just recently got mine and did all the trial and error, read here and asked so I can pass what I learnt on to ya!

Mine does 4.0 @ 1.35. I would not go over 1.35 cuz I am a chicken.

in the bios turn off Hyperthreading, Ce1, turbo mode (if you have it), spread spectrum, and speed step - (think I got everything)

turning off Hyperthreading is a big drop in temps (at least it was for me) before I turned it off my load at 3.8 was close to 80c once I turned it off 65c for hours under full load. So I went right back to 4.0 Ghz. BAM - good to go never goes above 70C under hours and hours of prime/linpack.stress testing.

depending on what mobo you have you can find a guide to i7 ocing just google it - didn't take me long - the rest you can find out here ;)
 
I just recently got mine and did all the trial and error, read here and asked so I can pass what I learnt on to ya!

Mine does 4.0 @ 1.35. I would not go over 1.35 cuz I am a chicken.

in the bios turn off Hyperthreading, Ce1, turbo mode (if you have it), spread spectrum, and speed step - (think I got everything)

turning off Hyperthreading is a big drop in temps (at least it was for me) before I turned it off my load at 3.8 was close to 80c once I turned it off 65c for hours under full load. So I went right back to 4.0 Ghz. BAM - good to go never goes above 70C under hours and hours of prime/linpack.stress testing.

depending on what mobo you have you can find a guide to i7 ocing just google it - didn't take me long - the rest you can find out here ;)

Isn't the whole point of getting an i7 is to have hyperthreading? Someone benchmark an i7 at 4.0ghz without HT and compare to a Q9x50 @4.0ghz.
 
If you do anything that can take advantage of 8 cores such as f@H or WCG crunching ... then leave HT on this thing will eat anything up like, well like its nothing =)
 
Isn't the whole point of getting an i7 is to have hyperthreading? Someone benchmark an i7 at 4.0ghz without HT and compare to a Q9x50 @4.0ghz.

There's actually an interesting article here about having HT and Turbo on or off.

Turns out the performance, in general, is actually slower with HT and/or Turbo Boost on, unless you're doing things that require heavy calculation like 3D rendering.
 
Back
Top