• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core i7-980X review

Thanks! Just skimmed both reviews and Anandtech wasn't that impressed and had a harder time oc'ing than the PC Perspective folks.

But this was already a done deal for me. Will buy it as soon as I see it at the Egg or elsewhere I shop for the $1k MSRP.
 
Thanks! Just skimmed both reviews and Anandtech wasn't that impressed and had a harder time oc'ing than the PC Perspective folks.

Not to get off topic, but I haven't been impressed with Anandtech recently.
 
Hrrm Anandtech's review notes that this is the only big release for the next 12 months in the lineup. In early 2011 is a 980x refresh, ugh.

Guess I may look into this since I have an x58 setup already, but I find 1k on a cpu hard to swallow.
 
Not to get off topic, but I haven't been impressed with Anandtech recently.

Agreed. Articles written by Anand himself are great, everything else....not so much imo.


On topic: I'm looking forward to the 6 core xeons :D

Tomshardware overclocked the i7-980x to 4.13 Ghz. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-980x-gulftown,2573-3.html
Can't wait for Kyle's review.


Bit-tech got theirs to 4.4 on air and 4.72 on water
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/11/intel-core-i7-980x-extreme-edition-review/3
 
anand try to overclock it with stock heat sink :confused:

no wonder they say they do not have much head room
 
I was looking at Techreport's and Anandtech's review and I just realized that Intel used a tower heatsink with screws for a stock HSF. I'll be happy to see this replace Intel's pin-system if they do for future processors.

Seconding "can't wait for HardOCP's review" :D
 
Can someone enlighten me on the 980x 6 core processor?
Seems to me like a waste of money compared to what is currently out. I did not see any remarkable improvements over the current i7 or older socket 775 quad cpus which i am running.

Seems like a waste of money.. Go out and just buy a new video card if you are currently running a quad cpu at 3.6+ gighertz
 
Can someone enlighten me on the 980x 6 core processor?
Seems to me like a waste of money compared to what is currently out. I did not see any remarkable improvements over the current i7 or older socket 775 quad cpus which i am running.

Seems like a waste of money.. Go out and just buy a new video card if you are currently running a quad cpu at 3.6+ gighertz

The Core i7 980X 6 core processor adds two more cores, increased cache size (for the extra cores) and some slight architectural enhancements. Namely a die-shrink from 45nm to 32nm. This allows for a smaller physical size, lower power usage and a thermal envelope than it would have if it were also a 45nm part. So far from what we've seen on a preliminary basis, the Core i7 980X is a mean overclocker and of course with 6 cores, what isn't there to love about it? Well other than the price tag. Is this going to be useful for everyone? Certainly not. As with most hardware, it takes some time before software catches up to really take advantage of it.
 
just read the legitreviews article. i'm dying to try out this chip with handbrake on my own.
 
Too bad none exist.
Exactly

From what i am reading the extreme edition can only output 4.1-.2 gigahertz overclock.
to get 4.8 you would need phase change and some killer highspeed DDR3 ram

Once the newer steppings arrive and other chips besides the extreme edition come out and could do an easy 4.4+ gigahertz on air i would be jumping on it fast



The Core i7 980X 6 core processor adds two more cores, increased cache size (for the extra cores) and some slight architectural enhancements. Namely a die-shrink from 45nm to 32nm. This allows for a smaller physical size, lower power usage and a thermal envelope than it would have if it were also a 45nm part. So far from what we've seen on a preliminary basis, the Core i7 980X is a mean overclocker and of course with 6 cores, what isn't there to love about it? Well other than the price tag. Is this going to be useful for everyone? Certainly not. As with most hardware, it takes some time before software catches up to really take advantage of it.



6 cores and software to catch up? I dont think software companies have caught up with 4 cores , let alone 6.. I am not convinced that this processor is much better than my Q9350 12mb cache running at 3.4 gigahertz. My money will be going towards a new video card . Currently running a single GTX 285.. I would see a better performance jump in software putting 300 dollars towards a new card after selling mine. A new GTX 480 with 2GB-4GB ram or 4GB version of the AMD/ATI 5970 sounds better to me.. Spending hundreds for a new mobo, ram, cpu doesnt sound logical.. I guess saying you have 6 cores and its 32nm would be cool lol

I am sure intel has the ability to blow AMD out of the water right now with their processor technology. But they need a competitor just like nivida and ati or else intel would be a monopoly. Guess i will have to wait at least another 6 months.. Still happy with my process and video card i bought almost 2 years ago. I spent roughly 1200.00 for my setup


Still not convinced of this new processor model.. Thanks for explaining it to me though
 
Last edited:
Exactly

From what i am reading the extreme edition can only output 4.1-.2 gigahertz overclock.
to get 4.8 you would need phase change.

6 cores and software to catch up? I dont think software companies have caught up with 4 cores , let alone 6

This is true. The people looking to buy a 6-core solution are a niche market of people who will either want it for bragging rights, or simply because they actually have something in mind to take advantage of it.
 
By the time the price drops 8 core cpus will be out.. Software will finally be taking advantage of quad cpus. lol

I want a cpu that will free up a good 25-40 FPS in games.. I guess intel needs to figure out a way to improve the bandwidth between the cpu and ram.. Multiple cores is not having any affect on gamming benchmarks..


PC are popular due to gamming not encoding. Thats why AMD back in early 2000 with the FX chips destroyed the P4.. Something tells me this is just a big marketing gimmick. Watch AMD release something that puts the hammer on intel.. Guess only time will tell..
Intel needs to increase the size of the cache to 32mb , that would increase FPS in games.. I dont think they want to do it because its expensive to manufacture.. Just like 2-4GB video cards. People are realizing that 1Gb is not enough
 
Last edited:
Too bad none exist.

Some people have said there will be 32nm Xeon quads for a little more than the 920/930. I've no idea if this is true or what their sources are so take it with a grain of salt.
 
Can someone enlighten me on the 980x 6 core processor?
Seems to me like a waste of money compared to what is currently out. I did not see any remarkable improvements over the current i7 or older socket 775 quad cpus which i am running.

Seems like a waste of money.. Go out and just buy a new video card if you are currently running a quad cpu at 3.6+ gighertz

I'm sorry, I don't understand how buying a new video card is going to improve your 1080p video encoding times.
 
I guess I misunderstood. So if I do a lot of HD video encoding this is the CPU I should get.
 
Some people have said there will be 32nm Xeon quads for a little more than the 920/930. I've no idea if this is true or what their sources are so take it with a grain of salt.

I've heard that too, but I haven't seen anything official on that. It seems logical that they would. With similar clock speeds, quad core 32nm Xeons could have a reduced power envelope which would be very attractive to business customers. Though I'd expect Intel to deplete their stock of 45nm Xeons before introducing the 32nm Xeons. I'd also expect very few models, or at least I'd expect them to wait until we get closer to Sandy Bridge's release before ramping up production of 32nm Xeons.
 
AnandTech's OC results with the 980X were so bad even intel called them and said they should be able to do better :D

Hey we all screwed up oc'ing from time to time. He fixed the problem and 4Ghz is what we should be able to expect to get out of these chips, which is wll I was expecting and let's face it, the performance is just amazing.

This is the first EE CPU that has been worth buying since ever maybe?
 
Hey we all screwed up oc'ing from time to time. He fixed the problem and 4Ghz is what we should be able to expect to get out of these chips, which is wll I was expecting and let's face it, the performance is just amazing.

This is the first EE CPU that has been worth buying since ever maybe?

Yeah, its easy to miss something when overclocking and get bad results.
 
so how did hardocp get left off the list?

Kyle do something to piss Intel off?
 
Hey we all screwed up oc'ing from time to time. He fixed the problem and 4Ghz is what we should be able to expect to get out of these chips, which is wll I was expecting and let's face it, the performance is just amazing.

This is the first EE CPU that has been worth buying since ever maybe?

No offense but i been doing overclocking the last 10 years. Its just not worth jumping to the new EE 780x 6 core chip.. You would be better buying a killer video card,mobo, ram and a quad i7 and overclocking that on water. The only chip i recall ever being worth its weight in gold was the Athlon FX 55,57 chips.. Back in the day it would destroy the P4. I had one on phase change.. The extra cores arent going to do anything to be worth it.. Just stick with the i7 and overclock that.. Personally i have a Q9350 at 3.4 gighertz 12 mb cache.. Works great.. Ok the i7 get maybe 12 FPS more in games... Thats it! i7 or 780x chips are not much faster! If i were too choose an upgrade path id go video card all the way.. Big changes in video card benches coming this month and i am looking foward to the cards having more ram on board. Thats my oppion unless someone can explain to me why i should spend 1k on a 6 core processor to get 4.2 gighertz on air .
confused
 
I just noticed during the anadtech review of the 780x.. They removed the Core 2 QX9770 extreme edition chip from the gaming benchmarks. Wonder why
i do
 
No offense but i been doing overclocking the last 10 years. Its just not worth jumping to the new EE 780x 6 core chip.. You would be better buying a killer video card,mobo, ram and a quad i7 and overclocking that on water. The only chip i recall ever being worth its weight in gold was the Athlon FX 55,57 chips.. Back in the day it would destroy the P4. I had one on phase change.. The extra cores arent going to do anything to be worth it.. Just stick with the i7 and overclock that.. Personally i have a Q9350 at 3.4 gighertz 12 mb cache.. Works great.. Ok the i7 get maybe 12 FPS more in games... Thats it! i7 or 780x chips are not much faster! If i were too choose an upgrade path id go video card all the way.. Big changes in video card benches coming this month and i am looking foward to the cards having more ram on board. Thats my oppion unless someone can explain to me why i should spend 1k on a 6 core processor to get 4.2 gighertz on air .
confused

We get it, you're happy with your Q9350. If you want the best of the best, the i7-980x is the only way to go. It's certainly got that special something that makes it extremely attractive if you're in the market for an EE cpu, which has never really been the case.
 
so how did hardocp get left off the list?

Kyle do something to piss Intel off?

I was wondering the same thing too. There's a long list of site that reviewed it but [H]ard wasn't one of them:confused:

Was looking forward to [H] review
 
No offense but i been doing overclocking the last 10 years. Its just not worth jumping to the new EE 780x 6 core chip.. You would be better buying a killer video card,mobo, ram and a quad i7 and overclocking that on water. The only chip i recall ever being worth its weight in gold was the Athlon FX 55,57 chips.. Back in the day it would destroy the P4. I had one on phase change.. The extra cores arent going to do anything to be worth it.. Just stick with the i7 and overclock that.. Personally i have a Q9350 at 3.4 gighertz 12 mb cache.. Works great.. Ok the i7 get maybe 12 FPS more in games... Thats it! i7 or 780x chips are not much faster! If i were too choose an upgrade path id go video card all the way.. Big changes in video card benches coming this month and i am looking foward to the cards having more ram on board. Thats my oppion unless someone can explain to me why i should spend 1k on a 6 core processor to get 4.2 gighertz on air .
confused

I agree with this essentially but you can't overclock to get those two extra cores and that's why I want this puppy as I do a lot of video encoding. I mean I already have a 920 at 4Ghz so this is the only thing to really step up to.
 
Hrrm Anandtech's review notes that this is the only big release for the next 12 months in the lineup. In early 2011 is a 980x refresh, ugh.

Guess I may look into this since I have an x58 setup already, but I find 1k on a cpu hard to swallow.

*clears throat* Told you so
:p

but really didnt guess that it would come with such a nice HSF
 
Hey we all screwed up oc'ing from time to time. He fixed the problem and 4Ghz is what we should be able to expect to get out of these chips, which is wll I was expecting and let's face it, the performance is just amazing.

This is the first EE CPU that has been worth buying since ever maybe?


Yeah, I definitely understand! I wasn't trying to diss Anand at all, I just thought it was funny when he said even intel gave him a call. I did read through the article, and I was fairly impressed with his results considering he was using stock cooling!
 
Yeah, I definitely understand! I wasn't trying to diss Anand at all, I just thought it was funny when he said even intel gave him a call. I did read through the article, and I was fairly impressed with his results considering he was using stock cooling!

Yeah you were cool about it. I was just giving Anand some cred for acknowledging and fixing the problem. It seemed kind of obvious compared to the rest of the reviews that something was wrong with his results.
 
They need to make that cooler standard with all intel CPU's. It looks like it could do a great job at stock clocks with low noise.
 
Back
Top