Core i7 920: What to look for on retail box?

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
Hey, I would like to leave within the next hour or so to go down to a local store and take advantage of sale on Core i7 920s. I don't have a lot of time to do the research.

If there are several chips available, how do I tell from the outside of the box which one to choose? I believe I want the D0 stepping, but should I also look for a particular ... batch number? Is there a resource to identify good/bad batch numbers?

I'm not looking for topshelf OC'ing, but I've seen plenty of people getting an almost free 1Ghz on air. So, I would like to try and get the best chip for my money, but I don't need to go crazy over it. If there is a batch number or whatever that is preferred, I'd like to know so that I can be an informed shopper. Thanks in advance.

After you determine C0 D0 (most these days will be D0). Then its all about batch #'s from there, helping to break down week and pack dates etc etc.

All you can do is research batch #'s based on others experiences. But imo, its all about the combination, not just the CPU.

Board + cooler + CPU + mem + PSU = stable solid OC's or not.

The key is to eliminate the other components from being weak points, so as to basically make the CPU the weak point (thereby maximizing its abilities at the same time).

I asked this in another thread and got no takers. The TDP of the the C0 and D0 are the same, what makes the D0 better, other than opinion?

If you aren't looking for records, it seems just about any d0 will hit 4ghz relatively easily

Mr34727, I would tend to agree with you, except I have seem a few that cap out @ 3.8, but that was earlier D0 batches. I think the newer batches are really doing well, I've seen a few @ 4.2-4.4 on air cooling, which is just sick imo, thats a ~60-70% OC.

If I can get 4 on air I'll be happy as a pig in shit. But look what I'm coming from (sig system) and look where I'm going, even stock its gonna feel like someone tugged on my willy till I smiled.

But look what I'm coming from (sig system) and look where I'm going, even stock its gonna feel like someone tugged on my willy till I smiled.

I had to laugh about that one. I almost spilled my margarita.

Mine is SLBEJ D0 FPO/Batch# 3901A257 and I hit 4.1 on air on a rampage II gene. So yeah right now I am loving microcenter.

If I can get 4 on air I'll be happy as a pig in shit. But look what I'm coming from (sig system) and look where I'm going, even stock its gonna feel like someone tugged on my willy till I smiled.

hah Thats too funny man. I'm in the same boat (not too ancient though) and I can't wait to test my D0 :D

Back